1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Apartment on Blu?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Johnny Angell, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I just watched a program from MGMHD called "From the Vaults" or something like that. I saw in my guide that it was about The Apartment and since it was from the vaults, I assumed it would be some promo piece produced at the time the film was originally released. No, it was a recently produced talking heads doc in HD. It was a fairly interesting piece too. It looked like something that would be included as an extra on a DVD or BD.

Of course what really got my attention were the clips of the movie in HD. The film was looking good to my eyes. So now I'm thinking they've got an HD transfer, can a BD be on the horizon? Yeah, I know, don't hold your breath. I'd sure like to see this film on BD.

If it does come to BD, this film absolutely deserves 1st class treatment. In addition to the best in video and audio quality, the extra that would most interest me is a first rate commentary by a film historian. A commentary that is researched and almost scripted, because of the prep for it. Some of the best commentaries I've heard are on the Universal monster DVDs.

One of the things the doc did was place the film in it's contemporary perspective. I was reminded of how daring it was in it's subject matter.

Anyway, bring on The Apartment, please.

2. TravisR

TravisR Well-Known Member

I'm certainly no authority but I'd assume that the transfer for the DVD (from about 2 years ago) came from an HD transfer.

3. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Well-Known Member

Hear Hear, Johnny!

I absolutely love this film- and even though I double dipped last year for the SE, I would buy a Bd in a heart beat.
    The SE was a good improvement over the original vanilla release, even if it does seem a little too dark. As Travis says, I'm sure the new master that was created for the SE was also intended for a HD release at some point (hopefully sooner rather than later)

4. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    Just watching that half hour program really got my juices flowing to get the film on BD. Good b&w really looks terrific in HD.

5. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Well-Known Member

...and it's a scope film. For someone in my position, with a front projector using a constant height set up, the resolution boost from HD is much appreciated and noticed.

I never watched the features on the new SE- I wonder if what you saw was the same feature on the disc, just broadcast in HD- or an entirely new production. If it's the later that could be a very good sign.

6. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    It wouldn't be the first time that a broadcast feature became a disc "extra" or vice versa. It was certainly good enough that I'd like to see it on the upcoming BD....fingers crossed.

7. Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison Well-Known Member

2010 will mark the 50th anniversary of The Apartment, so it would make sense for MGM to release it on Blu then.

8. Frank Ha

Frank Ha Well-Known Member

Frank Harrison
    Careful, now. You guys are getting my hopes up. :)

I know it's a little off topic, But speaking of 50th anniversary, why wouldn't MGM release Some Like It Hot this year? Has anybody heard anything about it?

9. Jeff Newcomb

Jeff Newcomb Well-Known Member

They are releasing a repackaged, barebones standard DVD at budget pricing with "50th Anniversary" branding. I can't see any plans beyond that.

10. Frank Ha

Frank Ha Well-Known Member

Frank Harrison
    What a shame.