What's new

The announcement Of Star Trek The Motion Picture Director's Edition is here !!! (1 Viewer)

Bertrand B

Grip
It is Quint van der Vaart who first reported it but now everybody will know: www.widescreenreview.com has the specs for Star Trek TMP director's edition at http://www.widescreenreview.com/movi...par081701.html
Here is the announcement:
Paramount Home Entertainment has announced the maiden voyage of the "Star Trek" movie series, finalizing the pattern of releasing the movies in reverse chronological order. "Star Trek: The Motion Picture &endash; The Director's Edition" will debut on DVD November 6 in a two-disc set for $29.99. The film has been newly edited under the supervision of director Robert Wise and now runs 136 minutes. The film also features an abundance of newly-produced visual effects to "complete" the film.
"Star Trek: The Motion Picture &endash; The Drector's Edition"
Starring William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelly, Stephen Collins and Persis Khambatta
Directed by Robert Wise ("West Side Story," "The Sound Of Music")
1979 original theatrical release
$29.99
Street date: November 6
Rated PG
Anamorphic widescreen (2.35:1)
Remastered Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2.0 soundtracks
Disc One scheduled to include the 136-minute feature film, plus a group audio commentary with director Wise, special photographic effects director Douglas Trumbull, special photographic effects supervisor John Dykstra, composer Jerry Goldsmith and actor Stephen Collins; a test commentary by Michael Okuda, co-author of "The Star Trek Encyclopedia.
Disc Two scheduled to include three new retrospective documentaries, original teaser and theatrical trailer, a new Director's Edition trailer, eight TV spots from 1979, five additional scenes (from the 1979 theatrical version along with trims and outtakes, 11 deleted scenes (from the 1983 TV broadcast version), a storyboard archive, and a promo for the new Star Trek TV series "Enterprise."
One word: great!
Although it has not been confirmed by Martin Blythe, I think they are the real specs.
[Edited last by Bertrand B on August 17, 2001 at 02:21 PM]
[Edited last by Bertrand B on August 18, 2001 at 03:35 PM]

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Wow. Those are excellent specs. I'm glad that all those people were able to get together for the commentary. It's too bad that any of the original crew couldn't be there. Kudos to Stephen Collins.
Oh, and GRRRR this is coming out the same week as the X-Box. Damn, that's going to be a BUSY week.
Mike
------------------
Listen to my radio station - Starman's Neverland

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
FINALLY!!! We've all known it was a matter of time but seeing the annoucment is great. Novemember 6th seems a long time away for this long awaited dvd, but this fall will be dvd season every friggin week.
-- Matt
The Human Adventure Begins Nov. 6th
[Edited last by Matt Pasant on August 17, 2001 at 02:38 PM]

todd s

Senior HTF Member
What are the 11 deleted scenes?? Are they the ones from the 10 minute extended version that came out on video ten or so years ago?

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
Is this Paramount's first 2-disc SE? (I know The Ten Commandments was 2 discs, but that was more for the movie to fit). Hopefully this is a new direction for Paramount---sure they have been including more special features since Sleepy Hollow, but maybe now they can start putting out some mind-boggling SEs like FOX.
------------------
jsb.jpg-thumb_122_91.jpg

Jay and Silent Bob in
CLERKS

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis
Is this Paramount's first 2-disc SE?
Forrest Gump, Godfather II,...
Can't wait to finally be able to put my hands on ST:TMP DVD... If the DVD is as great as it appears from the specs, this will be ranked high on "2001's best DVD" lists...
Vincent
------------------

AFI Top 100 Films Home Theater Forum Challenge

AFI Movies Left To Watch: 34 33 32 31 30: Sound Of Music (3.5 out of 4)

Mark Klaus

Stunt Coordinator
Nov. 6 will live in financial infamy. I did not need another of my MUST OWN titles on that day, but what are you going to do. :)
So far, Nov 6 brings:
Sopranos Season 2
Woody Allen Collection 3
World at War box set
Star Trek TMP
Dr. Zhivago
Empire of the Sun.
Please, NO MORE!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Oh, and GRRRR this is coming out the same week as the X-Box
Why worry about that?
furious.gif
You can't play DVD's on the $299.99 X-Box until you pay an extra $30 for the "DVD Movie Playback Kit"...which won't be available until late November!
For those of you who don't know what this kit consists of, it consists of a remote and an infared (IF) receiver. The IF plugs into one of the four controller ports - taking it up as it doesn't look to have a pass-through. The DVD movie playback drivers are on the IF receiver!, which means that it is impossible to play DVD movies on your X-Box without this add-on kit. "No messy cables or confusing game controllers to deal with!"
Bit of a difference there from X-Box to PS2, eh? Leave it to Bill.
Check it out yourself: http://www.xbox.com/Hardware/expansion+devices/dvdmovieplaybackkit.htm
(Some of my DVD's are to the left side of the picture)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Cool! Anyone know what the 11 scenes from the 1983 broadcast consist of? I'm very pleased with this disc. I'll be picking it up on the 6th. It appears the footage that is trimmed from the film is being included on the second disc.

DarrenA

Second Unit
What would really be neat is if Paramount released a 10 disc box set of the Star Trek DVDs, and filled the last spot of the box with a cardboard insert (ala James Bond Vol.2 box set) for the Star Trek X: Nemesis DVD.
------------------
DarrenA
The Academy Home Theater

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
Awesome!!!!!! I guess the trailer ended up on the DVD after all. I just hope those documentaries weren't edited to remove any bashing of Paramout execs or Roddenberry.

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
Well I think this is going to be a very nice dvd indeed !!
Paramount has done another fine job in bringing a dvd which
will surtainly meet every wish of the fans.
I realy love you guys at Paramount for bringing such good
dvd's to us dvd-fans.
wink.gif

I will be looking out for this disc on November 06th !!!
Ohw this is the correct link :
http://www.widescreenreview.com/movi...par081701.html
[Edited last by Quint van der Vaart on August 18, 2001 at 02:03 PM]

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Does anyone out there know what the 11 scenes from the 1983 broadcast of the film consist of?

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Nov. 6 will live in financial infamy.
I hear you, Mark. All of the titles you mentioned are on my list - in addition, I'll be getting The Age Of Innocence, Remains Of The Day, and Gregory's Girl. Plus Shrek streets the Friday before...
Counting all the discs in multi-disc sets, that's 27!!
eek.gif
Just take my credit card out and shoot it now!
No more 11/6 titles, please!!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Too many DVDs, too little time...
AFI 100 Challenge - 36 to go!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
It is Quint van der Vaart who first reported it but now everybody will know: www.widescreenreview.com has the specs for Star Trek TMP director's edition at http://www.widescreenreview.com/movi...par081701.html
Here is the announcement:
Paramount Home Entertainment has announced the maiden voyage of the "Star Trek" movie series, finalizing the pattern of releasing the movies in reverse chronological order. "Star Trek: The Motion Picture &endash; The Director's Edition" will debut on DVD November 6 in a two-disc set for $29.99. The film has been newly edited under the supervision of director Robert Wise and now runs 136 minutes. The film also features an abundance of newly-produced visual effects to "complete" the film.
"Star Trek: The Motion Picture &endash; The Drector's Edition"
Starring William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelly, Stephen Collins and Persis Khambatta
Directed by Robert Wise ("West Side Story," "The Sound Of Music")
1979 original theatrical release
$29.99
Street date: November 6
Rated PG
Anamorphic widescreen (2.35:1)
Remastered Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2.0 soundtracks
Disc One scheduled to include the 136-minute feature film, plus a group audio commentary with director Wise, special photographic effects director Douglas Trumbull, special photographic effects supervisor John Dykstra, composer Jerry Goldsmith and actor Stephen Collins; a test commentary by Michael Okuda, co-author of "The Star Trek Encyclopedia.
Disc Two scheduled to include three new retrospective documentaries, original teaser and theatrical trailer, a new Director's Edition trailer, eight TV spots from 1979, five additional scenes (from the 1979 theatrical version along with trims and outtakes, 11 deleted scenes (from the 1983 TV broadcast version), a storyboard archive, and a promo for the new Star Trek TV series "Enterprise."
One word: great!
Although it has not been confirmed by Martin Blythe, I think they are the real specs.
[Edited last by Bertrand B on August 17, 2001 at 02:21 PM]
[Edited last by Bertrand B on August 18, 2001 at 03:35 PM]

This is still my most watched DVD.
Hopefully a blu ray or uhd bd release happens someday.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks