What's new

The Americans Season 1 (1 Viewer)

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Brutal episode last night. I could have done without the clumsy 'kids in jeopardy' thing...but, the Embassy stuff was well done and we're once again looking at a rift between Phil and Elizabeth...and this one seems bad.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This was a tough episode. I'm enjoying the parallel stories, between the Russans and the FBI. I was surprised by the various conclusions; i didnt expect the stakes to be so high. I thought the fake mole would be a nobody, not the Rezident director. I thought the Russians ploy at checking Philips and Elizabeth's loyalty would fracture their loyalty, but I thought it would be a slower burn. I didn't expect Elizabeth to nearly kill their handler! And the game becomes more dangerous. Philip and his FBI secretary; he's giving her more personal attention, which could get attention at her office, leading back to Philip. And Elizabeth's young communist sympathizer crew watching her family could be spotted by Stan.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Yeah the thing with the kids was a bit out there, but I didn't mind it. I'm sure everyone knew with 100% certainty that Phillip and Elizabeth were being tested, but they certainly took it to another level with Elizabeth beating the crap out of the handler.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I'm wondering if Stan had authority from the FBI to set up the Rezident. They just needed a patsy. It could have been anybody. The FBI knew he was using the diamonds for something, but taking out the Rezident gives away the FBI's source into the higher levels of the KGB. Yes, they still have Nina, but she has to rebuild her spying to find access again. I got the impression Stan was trying to protect her as her handler and also because he has feelings for her, but he just decreased her value tremendously to the FBI. From a couple episodes ago, I also didn't like that the FBI changed their codes as soon as they found out the KGB had them. That was amateurish spy work. Anyone who has read a Tom Clancy book knows that when the enemy has a line into you, you use it to feed them what you want to, but you have to give them some real info to not reveal you know, they know. The kids storyline I thought was a waste, unless the fact that they were willing to deal with a threat like their parents would have done comes back later in the series.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
That was quite an episode. I was discouraged early on with all that family drama stuff (why are they separating in a marriage that has been essentially fake since day one and only recently caught fire)?

But wow, really didn't see that coming with Amador. Even though having him die was the only way out, I still wasn't convinced that's what would happen until it did. Pretty bizarre now that Stan is living across the street from the guy that killed his partner/best friend.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Yeah...it was an intense episode...but, I'm not sure how engaged I am if they are separating. I thought it was more interesting to see them begin to connect after years of a fake marriage than to see them separate. We'll see how it deals with it going forward.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Quentin said:
Yeah...it was an intense episode...but, I'm not sure how engaged I am if they are separating. I thought it was more interesting to see them begin to connect after years of a fake marriage than to see them separate. We'll see how it deals with it going forward.
I don't care that they're separated other than the fact that it adds uninteresting story lines with the bland kids.

Also, I have to wonder what the benefit was of dumping the body to be found. Wouldn't they have been better off getting rid of the body completely? Unless they did something to make it look like it obviously wasn't the Russians that did it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That was a superb episode. The tension ratcheted up every scene. And I didn't see that twist happening so soon. I expected Chris' spying on Martha to have a longer last longer. He would realize she was taking material from the FBI office. I was shocked that he confronted "Clark" so soon, that it lead to violence, and to his death. Then the belief that this was related to the other killings, of which several were due to KGB incompetence, creating increased strife between the Americans and soviets. And the separation of Philip and Elizabeth runs parallel to this. They will get back together, i expect. This show is about their relationship as much as it is about spying.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
DaveF said:
This show is about their relationship as much as it is about spying.
Very much so. The early 80s is a great period to set a story (partially) about relationships, marriage, divorce, and children.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The Americans is moving at an aggressive pace! And the last two episodes were thrilling.Two major characters already removed. I expected the Amadore plot, monitoring Martha, to last the season. The cleanup from his murder, likewise. Nope. Done, two episodes. I hope they can continue to ratchet up the tension. I enjoy the emotional ploy of keeping Stan and Phillip in lockstep.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
TravisR said:
Same here. That seemed like the big thing that would lead into the finale.
Yeah, pretty interesting. It doesn't feel like they want to get too involved with long term serial plot lines. Then again, they could surprise us with something in the last episodes of the season. Still need to see what happens with Stan and his pretty asset...and, I'm curious what happens with Philip and Elizabeth's marriage.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Quentin said:
I'm curious what happens with Philip and Elizabeth's marriage.
See, that's probably the one thing about the show I don't care about. I could care less if they're together or not. Just pick something and let's move on. Then again, maybe I prefer they just stay together so we don't have the kids complaining every episode.

The end of this episode was really well done. I know it was only the 1980's, but I have to wonder how they would have been able to get Gregory out of the country. That guy got a raw deal. Did I miss how they were put on to him? Did his guy give him up?

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
TravisR said:
When he walking down the street smoking a cigarette, he passed a cop who recognized him and radioed in.
No I mean before that, when the FBI showed the picture of him as the guy they were targeting. How did he become a target?

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Scott Hanson said:
No I mean before that, when the FBI showed the picture of him as the guy they were targeting. How did he become a target?
The guy from the industrial district IDs Gregory's associate from the book. Stan and crew haul the associate in for questioning. It turns out the associate isn't a "true believer," so Stan gets him to flip on Gregory (this occurs off-screen, and must be inferred by the viewer). The KGB figures out the FBI is on to Gregory (the exact details of this also occur off-screen, but given what we have seen so far, it is very believable). Unwilling to be ex-filtrated, and with inculpatory forensic evidence planted his house, Gregory sacrifices himself to the cause.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Josh Dial said:
It turns out the associate isn't a "true believer," so Stan gets him to flip on Gregory (this occurs off-screen, and must be inferred by the viewer).
Okay, yeah, this is what I was wondering and what I assumed. Just wasn't sure if I missed if it was spelled out for the viewer. I like that they didn't spell it out.

Nathan_F

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan
These final 2 episodes have the potential to be pretty dynamic! Looking forward to seeing if Stan cracks on Vlad (will Nina trade the SecDef miked library for that info?), if Phillip moves back home (requiring Elizabeth to reveal some emotion other than anger), Elizabeth vs. Claudia, etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks