What's new

The Amazing Race Season 24 (2/23): Returning All-Stars (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I looked it up earlier...this season was filmed at the end of last year...November 16 to December 6. Kinda crappy it was during Thanksgiving, but that's what happens when you compete for $1 million.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Jason_V said:
I looked it up earlier...this season was filmed at the end of last year...November 16 to December 6. Kinda crappy it was during Thanksgiving, but that's what happens when you compete for $1 million.
Well, not as crappy as Bopper made it sound in the interview Greg K. posted earlier: he said it was Christmastime when he left to go to L.A. to start the race. I think I'd rather miss Thanksgiving.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info Jason. Sometimes you never know when TV shows are filmed.

I remember seeing Terra Nova a few years ago. It was filmed almost a year before broadcast.

DaveHof2

Second Unit
Real Name
David Hofstede
SPOILER

Well, that was a disappointing second episode. A hacky-sack challenge? Really? Plus I hate that Mark and Mallory are already gone. Mark was completely out of line in blaming Mallory for not keeping an eye on his backpack, and also for going back while the leg was still being run.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
DaveHof2 said:
SPOILER

Well, that was a disappointing second episode. A hacky-sack challenge? Really? Plus I hate that Mark and Mallory are already gone. Mark was completely out of line in blaming Mallory for not keeping an eye on his backpack, and also for going back while the leg was still being run.
LOL. I had just the opposite reaction: glad they're gone and I totally blamed her for the backpack fiasco. She was carrying them; he was carrying the car. It was totally her responsibility to make sure their bags made it into the cab while he was busy carrying the car and tying it down. Plus, she had absolutely zero respect for his feelings about it.Meanwhile, Luke is starting to get annoying again. Sure didn't take long.

DaveHof2

Second Unit
Real Name
David Hofstede
You're probably right about Mallory. I just can't get mad at her because she's so cute. Would have liked to have her stick around awhile longer.

Now, Luke can hit the bricks anytime - his mother has the patience of a saint.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
DaveHof2 said:
You're probably right about Mallory. I just can't get mad at her because she's so cute. Would have liked to have her stick around awhile longer.

Now, Luke can hit the bricks anytime - his mother has the patience of a saint.
Although she does have patience, she has allowed her son to grow into a whiny bitch. I think he'd have been better served with a little less patience from her, and a little more discipline.

But, not being in her/their situation, who am I to judge?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Dheiner said:
Although she does have patience, she has allowed her son to grow into a whiny bitch. I think he'd have been better served with a little less patience from her, and a little more discipline.

But, not being in her/their situation, who am I to judge?
I haven't gotten to this week's ep, but one thing comes to mind: Luke is deaf and presumably hasn't had the life you or I would have had as hearing people. I'm talking about things like social queues and socio-normative behavior.

I have a friend who has three autistic children. At least two are old enough to know when not to interrupt conversations and how to behave. However, they don't. Do I blame them or their parents? No. It's a symptom (some, but not all) of being autistic.

I don't know enough about being deaf to say if this factors in. Maybe Luke is also autistic or something is going on we don't know about. The Race "picks" one characteristic about a person and runs with it. With Luke, it's being deaf. IIRC he also wanted to be out, but the producers kinda stopped that in its tracks.

Another point: we have seen teams and individuals of both sexes breaking down since season 1. The Twinnies, with their incessent arguing on every leg and trying to place blame on each other, comes to mind. Teams who wanted to up and quit. Would you call them "whiny bitches" too and ask why their parents let them be that way?

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Jason_V said:
Another point: we have seen teams and individuals of both sexes breaking down since season 1. The Twinnies, with their incessent arguing on every leg and trying to place blame on each other, comes to mind. Teams who wanted to up and quit. Would you call them "whiny bitches" too and ask why their parents let them be that way?
Yes.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Dheiner said:
Then I think that's really shortsighted. At some point, a parent lets go of their child and hopes they taught well.

But that's just me. As an almost 35 year old, I don't want my parents trying to tell me how to act or what to do. Maybe other people do.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Jason_V said:
Then I think that's really shortsighted. At some point, a parent lets go of their child and hopes they taught well.

But that's just me. As an almost 35 year old, I don't want my parents trying to tell me how to act or what to do. Maybe other people do.
You don't seem to understand what I'm saying. The problem is not a current one. The problem is that corrective action should have happened WHILE THEY WERE LEARNING!!! The poor impulse control exhibited by several folks that you reference is the result of failure to modify behavior in the developmental years. I'm not faulting current actions, I see problems in the past.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Dheiner said:
You don't seem to understand what I'm saying. The problem is not a current one. The problem is that corrective action should have happened WHILE THEY WERE LEARNING!!! The poor impulse control exhibited by several folks that you reference is the result of failure to modify behavior in the developmental years. I'm not faulting current actions, I see problems in the past.
Yet you also acknowledge you don't know their circumstances or what has happened in their lives. Maybe those "problems" were completely unavoidable in some cases. You and I don't know the personal history here and, therefore, shouldn't be presuming to know what happened.

I don't fundamentally disagree with you, but I also don't think it's nearly as the fly-by parenting we're engaged with here.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This was a real bummer of a week.

Nearly right out of the gate, my favorite team was eliminated.

(Also think Mallory is very cute)

Still sticking with this season. Just need to pick a new team to root for.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
JohnMor said:
Meanwhile, Luke is starting to get annoying again. Sure didn't take long.
Starting to get annoying? When hasn't he been annoying?Not bashing deaf people, but he has always behaved like a three year old having a temper tantrum. I truly hope he and his mother are the next team to leave, will make the show much more enjoyable.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Lest we make this all about Luke all the time, I didn't find anything in this week's episode that is any worse than how Mallory treated Mark. Or how the Twinnies treated each other. Or how Rachel treated Brendan their first time on the race.

But Mallory is getting a complete pass why?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have attempted to reply to this thread many times, stopped in my tracks,
then deleted the post.

I am going to try to do this....but I feel as if I have to be very careful about
what I am about to say (because of how it may be wrongly taken).

I have worked with many deaf people over the years.

What I see in Luke is normal behavior. From my perspective, because they
communicate differently than non-hearing impaired people do, they exaggerate
their emotions. This is a very common thing I see at work. Their voices are raised
because (I suspect) they don't hear themselves, and as such, whatever emotion
they are feeling gets conveyed with greater impact.

So, for me, I don't blink at Luke's behavior. To me, he is acting pretty much the
same as most deaf people I know.

And I think the point was brought up that there's going to be this "I know, I know"
attitude when it comes to dealing with your parents.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Dheiner said:
ALL NEED TO BE FAULTED. Bad behavior is bad behavior whether you are deaf, pretty, ugly, white, black, asian, ...... All I said was that Luke has been allowed to grow into a whiney bitch. And that his mothers' extreme patience may have been A (not the only, but A) contributing cause.
Suffice to say, I disagree. Completely. There are lots of factors to take into consideration when it comes to behavior.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dheiner said:
What part of me saying "Yes" when you asked your question sounds like "Giving Mallory a pass"? Luke, Mallory, Rachel, The Twinnies, and more, ALL NEED TO BE FAULTED. Bad behavior is bad behavior whether you are deaf, pretty, ugly, white, black, asian, ...... All I said was that Luke has been allowed to grow into a whiney bitch. And that his mothers' extreme patience may have been A (not the only, but A) contributing cause.
Jason_V said:
Suffice to say, I disagree. Completely. There are lots of factors to take into consideration when it comes to behavior.
So let's agree to disagree and move back to the subject of the thread. :thumbs-up-smiley:

I'll be more than okay with discussion about which teams are whining, clueless, efficient, etc. But we don't need to try and figure out the ills of why individuals behave the way they do. Nurture/environment/circumstances/etc. We could go round and round on these issues forever.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks