What's new

The Amazing Race season 17 thread (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think it's been a fairly enjoyable season..in the sense that there has been no real heroes and villains...just a, erm, race. And I'm good with that.

Is Kat the blonde doctor? I'm always amazed when people smile and you see both their upper and lower teeth. Her smile reminds me of Pavarti's smile (from some past seasons of Survivor).

But, my wife and I have enjoyed this season immensely. It may not go down as being incredibly memorable...but it delivered what it promised.

And, gosh, those producers must want an all-girl winning team something fierce. That's been about the lamest thing about this season.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Paul D G
Tonight's episode lacked zero excitement for the outcome since we knew ten minutes in who the final three were going to be.

I almost felt bad for Nick and Vicki. Yes, they had moments they didn't play like a team and he could be very vile to her. But I don't think they were necessarily "bad" people like some of the racers in previous years. I'd much rather watch them race than Boston Rob, for instance. They were put behind the 8-ball with no hope of ever catching up. Taking the six hour penalty last week got them late to the plane and another nine hour delay there...yep, it was over before it began.

Maybe I'm just growing out the TAR or this is a show you need to watch with other people, but it doesn't get me excited anymore. It's more of a "gee, if I don't watch tonight, I'm gonna have to watch sometime during the week" as opposed to "I hope Sam and Dan kick ass and take names." I personally don't feel any affinity for any of the teams-even from the beginning. I guess I like Jill and Thomas even though they have their issues. But really...it's meh.

Oh, and I loved Phil's tease of a "big announcement" about next season's race. My best guess is it will be about the show filming in high def....

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jason_V

I almost felt bad for Nick and Vicki.

I felt bad for...Vicki.

If Nick wasn't such a jerk about finishing that challenge looking for the boat numbers...they wouldn't have had a SIX-HOUR penalty! Even if they had just been an hour or two behind the third team...it might've made all the difference in how they competed in this last episode. There is always the great equalizer of the airline times and they might have had a chance to catch up.

But he checked out...and, in doing so, cost them any chance to get to the final three. It's too bad Vicki didn't find it within herself to persevere and finish the challenge by herself and really show him what an immature chump he is. But I put no blame on her for what happened.

Really...what he did was not all that dissimilar from the two bozos who just got to Day 28 in Survivor: Nicaragua only to check out and quit the game.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Okay, fair enough, Mike.

He left something to be desired in a decent human being at various stages of the race and she really didn't have a backbone to speak of. You don't give up on a challenge-no matter the show. Even if Phil had to come grab them from the detour last week, you don't give up. Remember the hay unrolling challenge TAR has done twice now? The first team to do it never gave up even though they were drained in every way, shape and form.

Still, being THAT far behind everyone else...I was a little sympathetic. Imagine going through the entire day and not knowing where everyone else was. Then the cab driver they were following had to "use the toilet" and they all got food. They knew they were out of it and were having fun by the end.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon That's been about the lamest thing about this season.

They must be embarrassed that none have won it in 16 seasons so far, while the Asian edition already has had one win it all.

Nat is the blonde doctor. I always remember, because Kat was the one who didn't eat meat until the Fast Forward challenge.

Nick checking out like that, will probably be one of the worst moments of TAR history. It is definitely up there with final mat spat last season, or having to take a pee break before going to the pit stop. Still, it is still surprising to see them make it that far.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
But why does it have to be such a big deal? Who really cares? That's what I don't understand. It doesn't make any difference to me as a viewer...that's for sure. In my mind, any of those three final teams have the potential to win the race...so why does it matter if one of the all-women teams do win? There must be something I'm not getting.

I am expecting, actually, that one of the two all-women teams is going to win this edition of the race...only because they have been talking about it so much in the promos, etc.

It was funny to see Brooke & Claire actually mock the show for it during the tease for the final episode.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

If I had to make my picks, I would like to see Nat & Kat to win it, but I think Jill & Thomas will actually win.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
SPOILER Space!!!!

Now that I have seen the finale, and what will be coming for next season.

The finale was a bit anti-climatic. It ended up coming down to got lucky with the clue about Don Quixote. I thought the last challenge was an interesting twist though, trying to remember the greeters throughout the race. Congrats to Nat & Kat for being the first female team to win the US version of The Amazing Race. Now that could finally be put to rest.

And the name for next season "Unfinished Business" suits better than "All-Stars". Actually, it sounds kind of badass.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I'm surprised that nobody new it was Don Quixote without having to look it up. It's not that obscure. Wait, this is TAR. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

Next season should be interesting, but there are some teams returning that my wife can't stand so I may be watching it alone. I'll be watching to finally see it in HD regardless.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I would have not known it was Don Quixote myself, but if calling information on the cell phone did not work, I would have done what Brook & Claire done, and go to a hotel to use the internet instead.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

If Luke and his mom are on the Unfinished Business edition next season, I'm rolling my eyes.

I believe they are, if the spoiler sites are to be believed. As far as I can tell, TAR 18 is going to be very TAR 14 heavy. Speculation is that the "best of" season is a way to save a bit of money since they've incurred the expense of high def. Don't know if I buy that entirely...but maybe the applications were less than inspiring.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I'm lookign forward to seeing some of the contestants again. Is Luke the hearing impaired kid and his mom? If I remember correctly, they made it to the final three.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I'm lookign forward to seeing some of the contestants again. Is Luke the hearing impaired kid and his mom? If I remember correctly, they made it to the final three.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Yeah. Exactly. We were yelling at them to go to a hotel, or if they were stuck on using a web enabled cell then a gas station, mall, any public gathering place. What does one team do? Go into a TV repair shop on an empty street. Hell, they were in LA. There were millions of places to go!

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Go to your closest Starbucks or McDonalds. Ask the teenager behind the counter if you can borrow their smart phone (highly likely any teenager with a job in LA has one).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks