What's new

The Amazing Race 22 (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Haven't watched the episode yet, but definitely agree the father/son team has some serious problems. Maybe they'll get lucky with the Express Pass and give the guy a little time to heal, but it's going to be tough. I may be wrong, but don't recall anyone being medically removed like on Survivor, maybe they're just forced to continue until they give up on their own.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I suppose I have mixed feelings about the Express pass since the sudden injury with the Father has me rooting for these underdogs. Sadly, the reality is that there is no way they could ever complete this race under the circumstances. There will eventually be a task that the Father will have to do that he cannot due to the injury. Very distressing when this happens to a likeable team.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Ronald Epstein said:
I suppose I have mixed feelings about the Express pass since the sudden injury with the Father has me rooting for these underdogs. Sadly, the reality is that there is no way they could ever complete this race under the circumstances.  There will eventually be a task that the Father will have to do that he cannot due to the injury. Very distressing when this happens to a likeable team.
It is a sad situation, two very likeable players. I think they should have saved the Express Pass for a while, but the father is the one feeling the pain, not me. Probably a lot more physical stuff coming up, but they could be eating contests, crossing a cable between two tall buildings, or less physical things like stuffing beds or doing the curling type of stunt that he could handle. Might even get lucky and get an early flight that puts them hours ahead of the other players. Not totally out of it yet, but they'll have to really work at it, plus the guy does seem to get around on crutches pretty quickly. Hopefully his injury will heal as they continue and not require surgery immediately, which would surely end the game for them.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I don't see why it was a bad thing for Dave and Connor to accept the Express Pass. They were part of the pact, they won it fair and square and there was no provisio about anyone getting hurt. The one requirement is no one else could know about the agreement. John and Jessica kept their word and even if they are eliminated next, they know they did what they said they were going to do. Moral victory for sure, but that kind of thing inspires the people around you to do better. Did it really help them? That's another story entirely. If this had been an elimination leg, then it would have. But the "TBC" at the end throws all of that in doubt now. Yes, Dave's health takes priority but what is the harm, really, in continuing to go until they come to something he simply can't do? Connor is at huge risk now to get hurt since he has to shoulder everything, but considering both of their cancer battles, I wouldn't count them out until Phil says they're gone. Or the doctor says to stop.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
There's nothing wrong, per se, but, to me at least, the Express Pass is a tool to help you get ahead in the game. With Dave's injury I think it's safe to say they will definitely get eliminated at some point either from Dave not being able to perform quickly enough or not being able to complete a task. This was shown this week when they decided to use the pass because they knew Dave wouldn't be able to complete the challenge. Personally I would have given it up to the remaining team in the pact because I knew it would have been wasted on me. Again, that's just me. Anyway, as someone else pointed out, giving it to them was probably the most diplomatic thing J&J could have done. Now they won't have everyone else's anger directed at them.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Paul D G
This was shown this week when they decided to use the pass because they knew Dave wouldn't be able to complete the challenge.
They went from the driving challenge to the fishing challenge, tried fishing for a little bit and then used it. It really wasn't because of the injury they had to use the Express Pass. At least that's the way I remember it.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Why should they not take the Express Pass? It allowed them to win a leg of the race, and a very nice trip, with a multi-thousand dollar value. Of course they realize they have no shot at winning the race, but winning a leg (with an outside chance at 2) probably eases the pain a bit.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Dheiner
Why should they not take the Express Pass? It allowed them to win a leg of the race, and a very nice trip, with a multi-thousand dollar value. Of course they realize they have no shot at winning the race, but winning a leg (with an outside chance at 2) probably eases the pain a bit.
Exactly, as they won't come away from the race completely empty-handed. Sure, it would be nice to win, but most teams come away empty-handed. At first, I thought "what?" when using it so quickly, but hey, if it results in a nice prize, as they hobble along with a possible race-ending injury, it was definitely the right decision. And lucky for them, that a prize was given at all, at the halfway point of the "To Be Continued" leg.
All that said, I really don't see Dave & Connor lasting longer than one more leg, since this time, there is no rest period. Based on the previews of the next episode, it will be back to the airport, and an even playing field when they reach Bali.
Nice to see the race visit New Zealand, and to Phil's hometown, as a nod to him. The first time to Lord of the Rings country since the 13th season, though I guess no one from his family would be making an appearance this time around. And while looking dreary and almost the opposite of Bora Bora, it still looks charming in its own way.
The obstacle course did not look like too much fun, but I guess running it a 2nd and 3rd time isn't too bad, since they were already dirty. Though, I don't think they would get used to the manure smell that quickly.
I hope to see Max & Katie eliminated next, though they will last at least 2 more episodes, with the injury to Dave. Also, Joey of Team YouTube is looking like the other annoying one, and ironic that he would say "diva in front", when clearly, he was acting like one.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yeah, I think everyone is gunning for Max and Katie to be gone as soon as possible.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
Well, as of tonight's episode we now have a new leading contender for dumbest AR team ever.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
He must have had some sort of mental break or something. That was just... weird. He probably woke up the next morning and asked what time they had to be at the starting point.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Disappointed. The team I was rooting for was eliminated. Very sad. On the plus side, was very happy to see that father and son continue to win these legs. I don't think they can go much farther, but absolutely, I am hoping that they will both make Amazing Race history by winning it all.

MikeEn

Stunt Coordinator
Paul D G said:
He must have had some sort of mental break or something. That was just... weird. He probably woke up the next morning and asked what time they had to be at the starting point.
Exactly. You ever wake up from a dream that you got drunk and wrecked your new car? And then you realize it's not a dream? Uhh, me either. I think that's the way he's going to feel after he gets through the rationalization and denial.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Jason_V said:
They went from the driving challenge to the fishing challenge, tried fishing for a little bit and then used it.  It really wasn't because of the injury they had to use the Express Pass.  At least that's the way I remember it.
They should have just stuck with the driving challenge and finished it. The fishing thing was a major gamble that didn't pay off. Even though the sand castle thing was a pain, you knew there was a clue at the end eventually. Fishing is a complete crap shoot, either they're biting or they're not. They could have sat there for hours and never caught anything. With most challenges, no matter how bad you are at doing them, at least you know there is a clue or reward somewhere. You may have to eat some terrible food (remember the wasabi thing, horrible, but the players who completed it went on). Or many of the physical or psychological challenges, your fight your way through them and continue. Catching fish was simply completely random, maybe you will, maybe you won't, but you literally have almost no control of what happens. Bad choice.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Stan
They should have just stuck with the driving challenge and finished it.
Connor and Dave couldn't do the driving challenge. There was a clutch in the car and Dave couldn't use this foot to apply pressure.
Onto this week...that was...unbelievable. How do you have such a leg up on the competition and then not use it? That makes no sense to me. And then the comment about not needing $1 million...fine, you win it and give it to me! I can certainly use it!

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I was just catching up on the past 2 episodes, and now that HTF is back, I can finally comment on them. Well, I can't go without commenting on the Bali episode. I agree with everyone that John's decision to not use the Express Pass is just mind-boggling and boneheaded, to say the least. Also, I wonder when he asked if he could look at the surfboards, and Phil said no, even though they were already last and the other teams already checked in, was some kind of punishment for not using it. Talk about a major "what-if"!

I will comment on the following episode later on.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Walter, completely agree with you and others, mind-boggling not to use the Express Pass. Reminds me of how so many people have blown it on Survivor by not playing the hidden idol.

If you know you're in trouble and you've got the chance to save yourself, pull it out and bypass some obstacles. Don't save it up for what you think may be a better time. Obvious looking back, but they'd still be in the game with one less team to compete against.

Bad decision.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
First off, as the race moves on to Hanoi, Vietnam. Did anyone else find it very awkward that a task involved a song that promoted Communism? I get that Vietnam is still a Communist country, but I can't believe that CBS would allow this to air. And I know the show and the network is taking a lot of heat for this, and the B-52 memorial, as it apparently offended a lot of people. But I did not find the memorial nearly as shocking as the actual war footage that they showed back in season 15, when they showed the tank crashing through the fence at the Reunification Palace in Ho Chi Minh City, which symbolized the end of the war, and insult to injury.

Dave & Connor's withdrawal from the race - I guess Dave's Achilles heel was just getting worse, so they had to withdraw from the race. But they had a remarkable run, and won 2 legs and some awesome prizes, including $5000 each in the last leg. That is a lot more than what most teams in race history come away with. Even if they don't go all the way, they look like the smarter racers, using their Express Pass. Plus it was a good thing, because Dave would have not been able to do the dance task.

With the leg thus turning non-elimination by default, the double U-Turn proved to be useless and leg being anticlimactic. At least for the audience and the front 2 teams, the only ones who knew that Dave & Connor would withdraw.

And I am craving for some pho, as I've eaten it before, and just love it.

As for the remaining teams...

Pam & Winnie - they finally won a leg, so congrats to them. That after coming so close in the previous leg. Though I question the decision to U-Turn a team, knowing fully well that none of the other teams will be eliminated. Talk about a waste of it.

Max & Katie - while I don't care for them, Max was definitely spot-on about John and that team not using the Express Pass. While he may laughed about it too much, I am sure everyone else was thinking the same thing.

Mona & Beth - one of the teams that I really like, and having fun and appreciating the places that they are seeing. You go girls!

Bates & Anthony - another team that I like and having fun on the race. Hopefully, they won't be running into bad cabs again, as it almost cost them in the last leg.

Caroline & Jennifer - while they are nice to look at, I can't really see how they can last much longer. First the surfboards, and now the chess pieces at the Detour, as they tend to overthink things and get frustrated really quickly.

Joey & Meghan - While I did find Joey annoying, Meghan is turning out to be not much better! First, if you finish the Roadblock, it is time to leave. It's idiotic to stay behind, out of loyalty to one of the roller derby moms. I'm sure the roller derby mom would understand that this is a race first and foremost.

Chuck & Wynona - I don't know how this team is still around, as they are constantly in the back of the pack, and probably one of the dumbest teams. Also, not a good decision for Chuck to do this Roadblock, as he has now already done 5, to Wynona doing only 1.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Walter C said:
And I am craving for some pho, as I've eaten it before, and just love it.
Absolutely! We have a number of good pho restaurants here. It's been about a month or so since I've been...it's time for a visit!

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Walter, I was also offended by the B-52 memorial. Can't really describe my feelings, but it just seemed inappropriate.

My guess is that Chuck and Wynona are leaving within the next few episodes. From what we've seen so far, I hate to say this, but Evil Max and Katie could pull this off. Like Survivor, it's a game, you lie, cheat, whatever it takes for the win. Add in their physical ability, they might just do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks