What's new

The Amazing Race 21 (1 Viewer)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Paul D G /t/323940/the-amazing-race-21/30#post_4000768
Yes, right at the start of the race. But I'm thinking another team lost their passports and were forced to drop out of the race a few seasons back.

Yeah, it has happened twice before.

The first time was in season 13, which ironically, happened the same way in the same city. Dallas (of Toni & Dallas) dropped his bag that included their passports in a cab in Moscow. They would have finished last anyway, but also, they were not able to make it to the finish line in Portland with the other eliminated teams. Too bad, because it would have spared us of Dandrew in the final leg.

The other time was in season 15, when Zev (of Zev & Justin) lost his in Pheom Penh. Probably the saddest elimination ever, as they arrived first at the mat, but could not find it by the time all the others checked in, and eliminated as a result. Luckily for them, they had a 2nd chance to race in Unfinished Business.

Almost happened in season 19, as mentioned by others, happening at a gas station in LA. It's still hard to believe the way all of that happened.

But back to this season... I do think the TBC is not only for the rockers, but also the 2 teams sticking together, as something has to give there.

And we will subjected to 2 more legs of the loudmouths, at the very least.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Make that the 3rd time in race history that a team is gone due to lost passport. And 2 of those times in the same city.

It just really sucks that the longhairs have been eliminated, no thanks to that asswipe of a cab driver. I was hoping some miracle would happen, and they stay in the race, though deep down, I knew what would happen. Hopefully, they will return in the next All-Stars.

If not for being in the back of the pack, I would have thought Josh & Brent aced through this leg, as they got the time zone challenge on the first try, and knew their Russian leaders at the Detour. I would have only know what Lenin and Stalin looked like, and only knew who Catherine the Great is, due to being the only female there.

Roadblock was tricky due to the whole "4+UTC" thing and trying to figure out what other cities are in other time zones, as the map did not stay on screen for long.

No mention of the times when teams left the mat after the 1st Moscow leg. I also noticed that when the first 3 teams left, it was rainy and cloudy. But when the last 2 teams (divorcees and goat farmers) left, it was bright and sunny. That makes me think that they could be about a day apart.

Speaking of which, it was truly something that the 2 teams stuck together to the end of that leg. When Josh & Brent got the 4-hour penalty, Abbie & Ryan had to be somewhat relieved that they would not have to ditch them when going to the pit stop. Also, it's now a 4-hour penalty for not completing the Detour, a long way from what it used to be back in the 1st season.

The pants splitting on one of the loudmouths was funny.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
As you would suspect, very sorry the long hairs were eliminated.

Was almost certain that the cab company would have returned
their passports. Guess we'll learn in post-season interviews what
happened in the end.

...oh...here you go...

http://www.seattlepi.com/entertainment/tv/tvguide/article/Amazing-Race-s-James-and-Abba-We-d-Love-to-Know-4051063.php

At this point, I am less enthusiastic about who wins. I suppose
that Abbie and Ryan are the more certain bet at this point.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
After reading that interview, I like the longhairs even more. They were already laid back and friendly, but that interview really makes them seem like genuinely nice people. The way the addressed the 'theft of the money" question was pretty classy.

Hopefully they are back in a future season.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
That was a really frustrating episode.

The Twinnies are an incredibly unlikable team. IIRC it was their idea to 'waste' a U Turn which is a despicable move IMO. Somehow luck is on their side.
Chippendales : We like the team but their role in the U Turn lost them a lot of face with us.
Abbie and Ryan : Really felt bad for them. Rooting for them to win but luck wasn't with them.
Trey and Lexi : Never cared for them, and we didn't care for them partaking in the theft of the Rocker's cash
Josh and Brent : Really hope they can get back in there, but I fear they are too far behind to even catch up. This leg would have normally been a catch-up where all the teams wound up back in a pack, but they didn't even do that.

Hoping for Josh and Brendt as a long shot, Chippendales as more realistic second choice.

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
I was kind of disappointed in the way Abbi and Ryan acted. Sore losers! Yes, the Chippendales U-Turned them and as Ryan said, It cost them 2 million dollars. What if the situation had been reversed, would they have U-Turned the Chippendales? You better believe they would have. Not doing the U-turn could cause you to lose. It's a game for a lot of money. Live with it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yeah, I was equally disappointed on Abbi and Ryan being poor losers.

Moving ahead, not much to root for here. My two favorites are gone and I am faced with dealing with a very aggressive Twinnies team that NOBODY likes.

The only redeeming aspect of this show at times like this is that ANYBODY can get fouled up in a leg due to unforseen circumstances. Thus, no matter how aggressive/good you are, you can simply lose due to circumstances out of your control.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
Karma finally caught up with Abbie and Ryan after their actions in the first episode - I have no problem with them being gone.
Still like Trey and Lexi, but I've really been enjoying the Chippendales in the last couple of episodes. At first they seemed like vacuous pretty-boys, a male equivalent of the female blond, big-boobed cheerleader teams who always say "we're not just pretty faces, we're smart!" and then get booted early. But there is a more genuine quality to them - they're having fun, they're self-deprecating, they are always courteous to the locals they meet in the various countries, and they haven't turned on each other. I'd be fine with them winning the million.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I can't be the only one who was hoping for some major mishap during the "pole in the mud" activity. Everyone got through it way too easy!

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
After the preview shown after the season premiere, I knew the Chippendales would make it pretty far, since they were in a city that looked European. And knew it was the Netherlands, based on the canals and buildings. The flag would have thrown me off.

In some ways, I can understand how Abbie & Ryan felt, having the misfortune of booking 2 connecting flights in Frankfurt, and getting shut out of both of them. Should have stuck with Abbie's original instinct, and avoid that airport. Then the pile-on by other teams by getting U-Turned, and having to do the dancing detour in the rain. Combine all that, and you will be in rotten mood as well. I honestly thought I would hate this team, but ended up being one of the few remaining that I rooted for. Even hoped that it was non-elimination, as there is still one more to go in his race.

The switchback was only memorable because one of the racers in season 12, stripped down to his underwear. Probably the last person anyone would want see to strip down like that. But it did not look too hard to do.

I did not really have any problem with the first U-Turn though, as it's a race first and foremost. And the team getting U-Turned, will naturally get upset. So James & Jaymes are still okay in my book. What did bother me, was the use of the second U-Turn. Seriously, I don't know how people can still like Trey & Lexi, who are basically followers of the loudmouths by "wasting" the 2nd U-Turn. On the other hand, it may be a blessing in disguise, mainly for Josh & Brent, as they gave them more reason to finally break away, and not having the situation of having the last 2 teams march onto the mat at the same time.

As of now, the 2 remaining all-male teams are the only ones I like to see win this race. The Chippendales certainly can, but not so sure with the goat farmers. They don't do well in the physical tasks, and often tire out. Plus who knows how far out they are from the other teams.

The loudmouths making it this far, just keeps proving that the Express Pass is a good-luck charm so far.

Next episode - the race goes to Spain.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Jason_V said:
I can't be the only one who was hoping for some major mishap during the "pole in the mud" activity.  Everyone got through it way too easy!
I was kind of surprised by this also. But my guess is that the contestants who did this stunt this time were much more physically able to complete it, and also much more "weight appropriate" and able to fly across the canal compared to when this stunt was first used. Other than one fall in the water, looked like it was a breeze.
Not pleased at the twins getting first place, but it's a game and no matter how annoying they are, they're obviously doing well.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Maybe it's just me but the pole vault thingy didn't look too difficult but you just have to go at it committed and not half-assed. So long as the pole doesn't slip in the riverbed, it doesn't look to be that hard of a stunt. now if they made you carry the pole and run with it and plant it, that would be more challenging... :)
Jay

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Never heard of the place Mallorca, and I guess the racers haven't either. And it must not be a part of Catalonia, otherwise the bullfighting task would have not been allowed, since the sport has been recently banned in Catalonia (where Barcelona is located).

Considering how next week is a 2-hour season finale, it was no surprise that this leg was non-elimination. Otherwise having it on the 2nd-from-last leg, would be a huge waste.

Not really much else to say, as my feelings towards all the remaining teams have not changed.

As much as I would like to see the underdog, Josh & Brent win it all, they always seem to have bad luck and find themselves in the back of the pack. Plus Josh always seem like he wants to give up. Though it was good to see them nail the windmill challenge. Literally. And finishing before the loudmouth twins did.

And I thought the loudmouths would have chosen the bullfighting one, since it looked like the easier one. But it would have been more noisy.

Next week - I read somewhere that the race will return to its birthplace.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Oh, if only last night was elimination...

Something struck me twice last night about how similar Josh and Brent are to Jim and I. Josh has bad anxiety and freaks out, Jim does the same. But when they put their minds to it, they're both very smart people.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So, so wrong.

If ONLY this were an elimination round.

Can't get rid of the annoying Tweenies, can we.

At this point, I'm rooting for Trey and Lexi to win it.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I don't know, I actually LOL'd at the tweenie banter because they are so direct and harsh on each other. It's like watching and listening to 8-year olds trying to complete these tasks. But I could only take them in small doses.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
^^^
I agree, Josh! That was a great (and unbelievable) finale indeed, and enjoyed it very much.

The first hour, the leg in the Loire Valley in France, which looks unbelievably gorgeous, with all the castles and gardens. I honestly believed it would be the 3 teams in the alliance that make it to the final 3. Every team's fate was completely in their own hands, as it came down to tasks and navigation, as they had to drive to each place themselves.

It is unbelievable how bad, the Beekman boys are with navigation, as the twins caught up a few times. Especially after the Speed Bump, which was time-consuming for the loudmouths, not only the task itself of tying that corset, but also having to run up and down in the castle to get to it. I thought the twins would overtake them, but ironically, the lack of sense of directions ended sealing the twins' fate.

And so much for the good luck charm of the Express Pass, as the twinnies are the first team to win it, and not make it to the final 3. But they came so close, but we all have to be relieved that they got eliminated, especially after their nastiness towards the Beekman boys. But the boys got the last laugh all along, as the twins did seem so distracted at the tasks, and thus ended up getting beat at the chow task. So the boys were like "in your face!"

That cave looked very scary, with almost no light there. I think Lexi may have bumped into a wall, and it had to be tough for the crew as well. But this leg was truly a nail-biter, and it wasn't even the final one.

Speaking of which, as the race returned to its birthplace, New York City. The starting line of the very first race was in Central Park back in 2001. And it faced cancellation a few times, as the first few seasons were ratings disasters. Who knew that it would last this long, and still going strong with all of its Emmy wins. And deservedly so, though I admit, there were times when I was not following it on CBS and lost interest sometimes.

But anyway, it was about time that the Big Apple had a full leg in this race, as it has to be one of the few major cities in the world, to never have one. Season 1 and 10 ended there, but only half a leg. So I was really interested to see how this leg would turn out.

At first, I thought it would be an anticlimatic finale, once Trey & Lexi figured out the clue at Coney Island, I thought they would win this race. as the tasks after that seemed to be first-in, first-out, and a 2-team race. That was until it got to the United Nations building.

That final Roadblock had to be one the greatest, as it did end up being a 3-team race. At first, I assumed it would be putting the flags in order, but it ended up being more than that, with the hellos and goodbyes in different languages. I would have only gotten China, Spain, and France, and no clue on the others. But man, it can't be fun to doing that for 3 hours, well into the night.

But I think karma proved to be a bitch to Trey & Lexi, for their part on stealing money from the rockers. So while they seem like nice people, I could not cheer for them after that, and happy that they did not win.

While it would have been nice to see James & Jaymes to win the race, I think they still came out winners. Well, at least one of them did, when coming in first in the France leg and winning a car, which is what he wanted to get for his mother. So it was nice and very touching. They were very likeable, and hopefully, they will get a 2nd shot in a future season.

And finally, congrats to Josh & Brent for winning the race. They were definitely the underdogs of this race, and I kept thinking they are the next team to get eliminated, throughout this season, especially after Josh seems to give up so easily. Plus the home town curse, as Josh kept saying how he lived in NY for many years. So the odds were definitely stacked against them. But Josh came up very big at the final roadblock, which was not only memorization, but physically demanding as well.

Wow, I did not mean to write a lengthy post. And I am hungry for a pizza.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Loved the finale. And the final four teams came in the exact order they deserved.

Not sure which I enjoyed more - seeing who got eliminated and winning, or watching my kids leap out of their seats cheering at each point. Both legs were nail biters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks