What's new

The Amazing Race 21 (1 Viewer)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein /t/323940/the-amazing-race-21/30#post_3994804
Wow. Not much conversation in this thread.

Just back from vacation and caught up on two weeks
worth of The Amazing Race.

Welcome back! Hope you had a fun vacation. And I agree with everything you said about the long hairs. Definitely my favorites, and doing great at the tasks, too.

Well, I finally got around to watching the entire episode today. With another leg in Bangladesh, we get to see teams literally sweat it out in this congested place. Even seeing one of the team's cabs get surrounded by people and bikes, making it very difficult to drive. There is the pit stop, which did not look depressing, but I guess I am really stretching to find something redeeming about Bangladesh.

The Detour did not seem too difficult at first glance, but doing both of those tasks in intense heat and humidity, made it very difficult. At the very least, teams got a feel of what life is like in the 3rd world, doing manual labor in a suffocating sweatshop or hard labor in the blazing sun. When they finished, they were sweating a lot more than usual.

At least the Superfans are no longer in this race, thus sparing us of seeing them perform either task at the Detour. Also, it is interesting that the clue made it appear that the Bamboo one is the "easier" one than the Jute Straw one, as almost all the teams went for the Bamboo task, yet the only team that went for the Jute Straw ended up finishing first. Still, it was funny seeing the teams carrying those sticks of bamboo and trying to avoid hitting people along the way.

It's not often that we hear a team from another season being mentioned in the current race, as was the case with Ryan, who wanted to break the record of most legs won in a single season. They are certainly capable, having finished near the top in every leg so far, but I hope it does not happen, for the Abbie's sake, as well as ours.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Ronald Epstein said:
/t/323940/the-amazing-race-21/30#post_3995156
"Every time someone says 'Twinnie' take a drink of milk" It got so out of control during the scale challenge my wife had to put a stop to it.
I could imagine, especially with the kid and Ryan saying it multiple teams.

Funny how the twins seemed annoyed when Ryan is mocking them, yet they don't realize their yelling is driving everyone else crazy.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Walter C /t/323940/the-amazing-race-21/30#post_3995923

Funny how the twins seemed annoyed when Ryan is mocking them, yet they don't realize their yelling is driving everyone else crazy.

Amen. If I never heard the words Twinnies or Baby ever again, I'll die a happy man.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Jason_V said:
Amen.  If I never heard the words Twinnies or Baby ever again, I'll die a happy man.
Quite possibly the most annoying team I've ever seen on this show, I sure hope they miss a flight or get a cab with a flat tire, just anything to get rid of them.
So far seems like a very predictable show as teams fade away, particularly if anything physical comes up.
My prediction at this point for final three would be the Chippendales guys Jaymes/James, Abbie/Ryan and Trey/Lexi. Tough to guess a winning team since all three seem to be relatively normal, calm and driven to win. So far no major bickering amongst team members, no emotional baggage, etc.
Sad story with the rockers James/Mark, but the previews were moving into Survivor territory, totally manipulative and slick editing to build suspense. Not pleased with that, usually The Amazing Race isn't quite as tricky with their previews.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
Stan said:
Quite possibly the most annoying team I've ever seen on this show, I sure hope they miss a flight or get a cab with a flat tire, just anything to get rid of them.
I thought it was a personal issue I had with them, as I'm not a fan of loud people in general - but as of this week's episode they have cemented their status as villains. What they did to the longhairs was inexcusable, and I'm very disappointed that the only team I really like, Trey and Lexi, went along with it.
This was the first week that I actually enjoyed the Chippendales- their running commentary on their own ineptitude was pretty entertaining.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
This must be a goodwill tour through the Muslim world, having gone through Indonesia, Bangladesh, and now Turkey. It has been a very long time since the race went to Turkey, having gone only once back in season 7, which was the first full season that I followed on CBS.

As the race moved on to Istanbul (formerly known as Constantinople, renamed under the Ottoman Empire), being the only city in the world to stand on 2 continents. And teams would be going back and forth between the 2. First they leave Asia by landing at the airport on the European side, then take the ferry across the Bosphorus Strait back to Asia. Then I believe it went back to Europe for the rest of the leg. Being such a geography nerd, I just find this awesome in more ways than one. Too bad there isn't a place to stand on both continents.

The Speed Bump was a tasty one, but it would have been a lame-ass one, if not for the fact that goat farmers going to the wrong one the first time. I don't know if it was really hard to find the stand with the marker, or that Josh & Brent are just not good at all, as they are basically chickens with their heads cut off. Still, because of another team making a boneheaded mistake, it ended up not costing them at all.

The Turkish bath one seemed like the more time consuming one at the Detour, but having that much cold water splashed on you is not relief at all, even if it was so hot outside. I can understand the logic that Josh had, that a more physical task means more faster.

The Monster Truckers were starting to grow on me, but a huge mistake taking AND sticking with the Metro, would end up costing them. Rob's stubbornness did not help at all, insisting that they were not followers, when the Chippendales left the Metro to take the taxi to the ferry. I will not miss the rolled luggage, but unfortunately, another team also has rolled luggage.

And with Trey & Lexi winning this leg, it prevents Abbie & Ryan from breaking the record, and at best, they can only tie it. That would mean winning the rest of the legs, which is not going to happen. Especially with the twins still having their Express Pass.

Originally Posted by DaveHof /t/323940/the-amazing-race-21/30#post_3997790
I thought it was a personal issue I had with them, as I'm not a fan of loud people in general - but as of this week's episode they have cemented their status as villains. What they did to the longhairs was inexcusable, and I'm very disappointed that the only team I really like, Trey and Lexi, went along with it.

James & Abba - At the same time, that whole incident showed how awesome this team is, even though they had to resort to begging in the streets of Dhaka. Though, I do worry about one of the rocker's knees, as the pain will only get worse as the race goes on. While I don't wish knee pain on anyone, it seems to happen to fan favorites.

Natalie & Nadiya - With them not being penalized, but I guess if the money fell out and in plain view for anyone to take, then it's fair game. Still, the right thing to do was to give the money back. I was neutral towards this team for the most part, but they seem to keep giving me reasons to not like them. Them not liking Abbie & Ryan, all because that team had the nerve to show their displeasure towards their loudness. Speaking of which...

Abbie & Ryan - has been interesting, particularly with their annoyance towards the twins. Which mirrors what most of the audience feels towards them. And it can't sit well with them when hearing the twins saying that they hope Texas finishes first instead of them, as I sense a team rivalry brewing but it won't reach the levels from last season. Also, Ryan has made some interesting comments, like...
"next time you're at home, and 52" Samsung TV starts getting fuzzy on you, don't bitch about it, come to Dhaka."
"if you put those 6 heads together, you get 3 brain cells."

Josh & Brent - while I credit Josh taking matter into his own hands, by directing traffic so their cab can get finally moving. Not sure if that made any difference, though. And how much longer can they last, as they manage to mess up at the lame ass Speed Bump.

Trey & Lexi - the lovey-dovey team, as they did not even argue at all, when it came to taking and splitting the money "taken" from the longhairs, as Lexi supported it and Try opposed it (but caved in).

Jaymes & James - an entertaining and likeable team, though they keep finishing towards the back of the pack. And I agree with what DaveHof said about them.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Quote:
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]I thought it was a personal issue I had with them, as I'm not a fan of loud people in general - but as of this week's episode they have cemented their status as villains. What they did to the longhairs was inexcusable, and I'm very disappointed that the only team I really like, Trey and Lexi, went along with it.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Agreed. What those two teams did was indeed inexcusable.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]They will never recover in my eyes.[/COLOR]

I am sure that some here are happy to see the Monster Truckers go.

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Go Long Hairs![/COLOR]

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Ron, you are correct that some of us are happy to see that particular team lose this week. Can't really say why, but I just found them incredibly annoying, just rubbed me the wrong way.
Also didn't seem like they had much motivation left, very relaxed and casual about the challenges, no true sense of urgency to beat the other teams.
The goat farmers and the Chippendale guys have gotten very lucky. Made lots of mistakes but somehow keep hanging on, but it's going to be a lot tougher now that we're down to the best players, don't think they can skate by with other teams making mistakes they benefit from.
Very surprised there wasn't some type of penalty for the money being stolen. It's not like they just found random cash on the sidewalk, it very obviously belonged to another team and should have been returned. Luckily the rockers recovered, but certainly brings the morals of the two teams that split the cash into question. I have a feeling Karma will visit and they'll pay for what they did.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Stan /t/323940/the-amazing-race-21/30#post_3998376
Very surprised there wasn't some type of penalty for the money being stolen. It's not like they just found random cash on the sidewalk, it very obviously belonged to another team and should have been returned.

My wife and I discussed this. If we look at it technically, the money wasn't properly stolen, as to mean deliberately taken (reach into the other team's bag and take it). The rockers lost the money and it was found by another team. I agree, tho, that both teams involved lost all respect for what they did. It wasn't just an inconvenience for the rockers, it could have caused them to drop out of the race.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
My two cents worth: Taking ANYTHING that you KNOW belongs to someone else is stealing. The two teams involved displayed horrible ethics. Both teams are dishonest, and I hope they lose soon.

The rockers both showed their ability to adapt, and overcame a theft that would have probably crippled any other team.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Dheiner /t/323940/the-amazing-race-21/30#post_3998661
My two cents worth: Taking ANYTHING that you KNOW belongs to someone else is stealing. The two teams involved displayed horrible ethics. Both teams are dishonest, and I hope they lose soon.

The rockers both showed their ability to adapt, and overcame a theft that would have probably crippled any other team.

Yeah, they're not my favorite team, but they're the two which (a) annoy me the least and (b) keep going regardless of what happens to them. If they won in the end, I'd be content.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
It would be fun to see the Chippendale guys pull this off. They are truly some of the nicest, politest people these show has ever had.
They're not annoying, lying to other players to try and win and none of the fighting between themselves that so many of the other teams always seem to have.
They're just out to enjoy the game, see the sights and experience the different cultures. They also seem to be doing fairly well at the challenges because they just do their best and don't get all stressed out the way the other teams have been. Could see them winning because they are so relaxed, not always plotting and getting sidetracked trying to beat everbody else.
If they get a little more serious and don't make any more errors, things could change relatively quickly.
As for the twinnies, put a couple of muzzles on them. Do they ever shut up?

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Stan /t/323940/the-amazing-race-21/30#post_3998862
It would be fun to see the Chippendale guys pull this off. They are truly some of the nicest, politest people these show has ever had.
They're not annoying, lying to other players to try and win and none of the fighting between themselves that so many of the other teams always seem to have.
They're just out to enjoy the game, see the sights and experience the different cultures. They also seem to be doing fairly well at the challenges because they just do their best and don't get all stressed out the way the other teams have been. Could see them winning because they are so relaxed, not always plotting and getting sidetracked trying to beat everbody else.

It's funny that the 2 most likeable teams this season, are the 2 remaining all-male teams. I tend to be biased against the all-male teams, especially the alpha male type, since they tend to win so much. But Chippendales are hard to root against. Only if they can race a little more smarter, they can get a first place finish.

The more I think about the whole thing with the money, I think Trey was in a very tough spot. Opposing the twins was one thing, but his own girlfriend would be an entirely different thing. And having 3 against 1 in that position, is just not pleasant at all, to say the least. By the way, I'm not condoning what the Texans did, but thinking more about it, I should have not been as hard on Trey as I was in my previous post.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Not the traditional To-Be-Continued episode, as the race moves on to Moscow. Whenever thinking of this city, the names Lenin, Stalin, and Khruschev (sp?) come to mind, along with the Cold War. Also, I guess there are no direct flights from Istanbul to Moscow, which I find very surprising. I thought the 2 cities were relatively close, but all the teams had to connect through another city to get to Moscow.

A 1-hour layover in Frankfurt is very risky, and a delay of any sort, and you're screwed. Too bad the coin did not turn tails for the goat farmers, otherwise they would have caught up with the rest of the pack. And it was surprising that Abbie & Ryan found that option to be the best one, considering that they were the only team to look on the internet, which saved the hassle of going to every counter. Even without the delay, the one through Frankfurt would still have not arrive first.

Speaking of which, it sucked that the library task at the Detour was subject to that. So the late-arriving teams are screwed and have to perform the other one, synchronized swimming. As most think of synchronized swimming as a joke of the Olympics, I thought this task showed how difficult this sport really is, as all the teams struggled with the moves and flips.

It is mind-boggling that the twins considered using the Express Pass because of the language barrier. Really? Did you not see that the chippendales were also having a hard time at the task as well? That's just unbelievable. Also, did they just go brain-dead when it came to which teams arrived in Moscow, and which ones didn't? Luckily for them, the chippendales talked them out of it, though the 2 James's were thinking about getting a 1st place finish in this leg.

It's very nice of Abbie & Ryan to stay behind, sticking to their pact, though I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, they won me over, and I rather see them win it than the twins or Texans. On the other hand, it IS a race, and it's every team for themselves, and reminding me too much of the 6-pack alliance back in season 10. Especially in this case, as it's a race for survival.

But that alliance may not matter, with the rockers losing their things, especially their passports, which sucks big-time. I hope they can recover their things, but don't know how that could happen, as that cab could be anywhere in Moscow. Still, it was funny to see the swimming coach get horrified when seeing the rockers.

As of now...

Like - James & Abba, James & Jaymes, Abbie & Ryan

Neutral - Josh & Brent

Don't Like - Natalie & Nadiya, Trey & Lexi

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Walter C /t/323940/the-amazing-race-21/30#post_4000512
It's very nice of Abbie & Ryan to stay behind, sticking to their pact, though I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, they won me over, and I rather see them win it than the twins or Texans. On the other hand, it IS a race, and it's every team for themselves, and reminding me too much of the 6-pack alliance back in season 10. Especially in this case, as it's a race for survival.

Ya know, on the one hand, I think it speaks to their integrity that Abbie and Ryan decided to stick with Josh and Brent, regardless of the outcome. The boys are clearly going to have problems with the swimming; however, Abbie and Ryan gave their word. On the other hand, it feels like both teams have given up. In this game, you don't give up, no matter what.

This presents a dilemma, in my mind, if they stick together. Assuming they walk onto the mat at the same time and there is no clear "last place team," what happens? Do they both go or do they both stay? I don't know what the "right" answer is on this one. Is there a tie-breaker task Phil would send them on?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Talk about "To be Continued" tension....

Personally, I think the show was continued this week
because there is going to be a positive resolution to the
loss of the Passport.

These things have a way of working themselves out.

...and I'm still rooting for the Long Hairs to win.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Jason_V /t/323940/the-amazing-race-21/30#post_4000525

This presents a dilemma, in my mind, if they stick together. Assuming they walk onto the mat at the same time and there is no clear "last place team," what happens? Do they both go or do they both stay? I don't know what the "right" answer is on this one. Is there a tie-breaker task Phil would send them on?

I was hoping to see Josh & Brent to just tell Abbie & Ryan to just go on and keep racing rather than wait for them, because I will not be looking forward to that situation myself. Hate to think the tie would be broken the same way it would be if both teams arrived first at the same time.

And then, there is the chance that they will both be spared, due to either long hairs not being able to find their passports, or the leg being non-elimination.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Ronald Epstein said:
Talk about "To be Continued" tension....
Personally, I think the show was continued this week
because there is going to be a positive resolution to the
loss of the Passport.
These things have a way of working themselves out.
My guess is something will work out, maybe similar to what happened last year.
Don't recall the exact details, but didn't a team member lose their passport at a gas station, the info ended up on Facebook or something and the finder miraculously tracked them down?
Or maybe they just get them back the old fashioned way, find the US Embassy, fill out the paperwork or whatever is required and they're possibly back in the race.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Stan /t/323940/the-amazing-race-21/30#post_4000719
Don't recall the exact details, but didn't a team member lose their passport at a gas station, the info ended up on Facebook or something and the finder miraculously tracked them down?

Yes, right at the start of the race. But I'm thinking another team lost their passports and were forced to drop out of the race a few seasons back.

Anyway, I agree with Ron, that the rockers will get their passports back in time otherwise there'd be no need for a TBC.

As for the Abby/Ryan Josh/Brent situation. My first thought would be to run the race together, but when it came to the final challenge the competition is back on. They knew they were the last two teams so there's no point running to the end of the leg as a tie.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Quote:
Anyway, I agree with Ron, that the rockers will get their passports back in time otherwise there'd be no need for a TBC.

Here's the thing...

A large film crew in a Russian city gets much attention.

Everyone with a cab knows The Amazing Race is in town.

A found American passport in the backseat is easily found
and returned.

It's the same thing that happened 2-3 seasons ago (as
mentioned above) with a passport left at a gas station.
I imagine a fan of the show who knew it was being filmed
locally, took it upon himself/herself to get to the airport
and return the passport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks