What's new

The Amazing Race 21 (1 Viewer)

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
I thought for sure that the U-Turn would somehow affect the winning team this leg. First, they skipped the U-Turn board entirely and the camera zoomed in on it as they passed it. They didn't say "I choose not to use the U-Turn" or whatever they are supposed to say. Then when they got to the mat, the U-Turn was mentioned by the second team, and again, the camera zoomed in on them.

Are they required to check in? If they don't, can another team u-turn them even tho they were ahead of them? This is what I thought was going to happen. At least, the editors tried to make us think that.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Mark_B said:
I thought for sure that the U-Turn would somehow affect the winning team this leg. First, they skipped the U-Turn board entirely and the camera zoomed in on it as they passed it. They didn't say "I choose not to use the U-Turn" or whatever they are supposed to say. Then when they got to the mat, the U-Turn was mentioned by the second team, and again, the camera zoomed in on them.
Are they required to check in? If they don't, can another team u-turn them even tho they were ahead of them? This is what I thought was going to happen. At least, the editors tried to make us think that.
I was totally confused by the U-Turn with this episode. The hillbilly truckers naturally chose to U-Turn another team, while almost everybody else passed it by. But then they were U-Turned, which I thought couldn't happen once the team had passed that point. What happens? You get to the pit stop with Phil and he says "Oh by the way, you have to go back and complete another task".
Sad to lose the blondes, they were my favorite team. Now it's starting to look like the Chippendale guys may be the ones to watch out for. Although as with the blondes, a bad cab driver can completely destroy your chance of winning.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
As the race continues through Indonesia, as they go from Surabaya to a town called Bangil. I tried to look up some info, but could hardly find any. No Wikitravel page, nothing! It's only on the show, that I knew how long the train ride was, which was 1 hour. So luckily for teams, it was not lengthy to a point where it would be hard to stay awake. Though I even have trouble staying awake during a 40-minute train ride after work.

Catlin & Brittany thought they were more superior in every aspect than the rest of the back-of-the-pack teams. But all of that got erased with a bad cab driver, sealing a team's fate for the 2nd leg in a row. Or in this case, a bad becak driver. I can only imagine how annoying this is, more so than dealing with an idiot customer service rep, who at first says he knows, then later says he does not know.

But it was not totally out of control of the blondes, who could have told their driver to just follow the teachers, then make it a foot race to the mat. A possibility, as the tall guy is out of shape, and the short guy... well, he is short! At the very worst, both teams are led the wrong way, but still have some control in their fate.

I would have rather see the blondes stay, and the teachers gone! I guess the money that Will found on the ground, did indeed, provide some good luck.

Originally Posted by Mark_B /t/323940/the-amazing-race-21#post_3988832

Yes, they are required to check in, where they also have to pick up a clue. And still possible for a team to u-turn one that was ahead of them, which is what happened when the substitute teachers u-turned the monster truckers, even though the monster truckers already checked in at the pit stop.

And I do recall most of the teams saying "I choose not to U-Turn" or something to that effect, but I have to check again. But as it turned out, there would be no point for those teams to use the U-Turn, since they were way ahead of the teams from the later train.

I have to say, I am not a fan of the blind U-Turn, as it tends to take away the drama between teams, since they have no idea who did the deed. But in this case, the editors actually made it work, when Gary & Will were undecided who to u-turn, then cut to commercial, then we find out they U-Turned the wrong team. Still, that ended up not mattering at all.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm always upset when two cute blondes are eliminated from the show.

How Gary and Will managed to win this leg of the race was pure luck.
I don't know if I dislike the both of them more than I do Natalie and Nadiya.

Still gunning for the "long hair" team to win, though it seems that years of
smoking pot have made them more laid back than the younger teams
that seem to have more motivation behind them.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Doubtful the "long haired" guys will be able to pull this off, as you said Ron, they just seem to laid back and lack the motivation needed for a show like this.
Gary and Will don't stand a chance, way to physical for Gary to handle. He probably had months to prepare for the race, but he's so out of shape, when phsyical challenges come up, he's done.
The twins drive me crazy. There have been plenty of annoying teams that made it onto the show, but they're near the top of my list.
I hope the monster truck couple leaves soon. Boorish people like them give Americans a bad reputation when visiting other countries.
My guess at this point is either the Chippendale guys or the gay couple. Each team member gets along with the other, no arguments or fights so far.
It would be nice to see Trey and Lexi win the $2M, but I just don't see it happening.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Ronald Epstein said:
/t/323940/the-amazing-race-21#post_3988984
Gary and Will don't stand a chance, way to physical for Gary to handle. He probably had months to prepare for the race, but he's so out of shape, when phsyical challenges come up, he's done.
The strange thing is that Gary & Will are actually huge fans of the show, and applied numerous times before. but boy, were they in for a very rude awakening. This should be a lesson to any fans thinking about applying for this show, to really think it through.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Walter C /t/323940/the-amazing-race-21#post_3988894
Yes, they are required to check in, where they also have to pick up a clue. And still possible for a team to u-turn one that was ahead of them, which is what happened when the substitute teachers u-turned the monster truckers, even though the monster truckers already checked in at the pit stop.

Just in case there was any lingering confusion on this point, you can still technically u-turn a team that has passed through the u-turn station, but it won't have an effect. This is irrespective of whether the subject team has finished the leg or not. Once you say "we choose not to u-turn" or "We are u-turning ," you are immune from the effects of the u-turn. Your picture still shows up on the board, but any attempt to u-turn you is "wasted."

This is why you occasionally see a pushing matching at the u-turn station, even though the teams are "aligned"--you want that immunity in the event your ally changes their mind.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Did I miss an episode? What have the Monster Truckers done to annoy so many of you? They seem no more "boorish" than the Chippendales or what's-there-name who won this leg, to name a few, not to mention the twins.

Loud, yes. But the places they are are loud.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Dheiner said:
Did I miss an episode?  What have the Monster Truckers done to annoy so many of you?  They seem no more "boorish" than the Chippendales or what's-there-name who won this leg, to name a few, not to mention the twins.
Loud, yes.  But the places they are are loud.
Maybe just a regional thing and the way I was raised. But I find them rude, crude and typical "trailer trash". I know that's a terrible thing to say, but they really fit the profile. Even with this last episode, knowing a U-turn was coming up, I knew immediately they would use it. No strategy involved, just screw over another team because they could.
They lack manners, disrespect the people and countries they're visiting and are the perfect examples that define the word "boorish".
They're embarassing for other Americans traveling in foreign countries, because for countless polite, decent Americans traveling abroad, the people in other countries remember the one idiot couple like these two and assume we all act that way.
The Chippendales and the twins are at least polite and respect the people and cultures they're being exposed to.
Granted, this show is heavily edited, so maybe we're just being shown the worst parts of their behavior. Will see how they act in the next few episodes, assuming they're not eliminated.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Please, provide examples of their "boorishness". I don't see it.

So, they used a U-turn, so what. That's gameplay, not "manners". At what point did they exhibit poor manners?

I understand that you don't like them, but your reasons seem to me to be the result of pre-judging them, rather than the result of any actions on their part.

What have they done?

Yelled "English" as they were running down the street? No, that was the twins.

Screamed at their driver and jumped out of their "cab"? No that was this weeks losers.

Taken help from another team then out ran a double amputee to the mat? (Which I also think is gameplay.) No that was [COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Trey and Lexi[/COLOR].

Bitched about how things are not designed for their size? Nope, Chippendales.

Calmly re-did the challenge when they found out that they did it wrong? Yep, that was them.

They may not be "your kind of people" but calling them names and justifying your prejudice against them might be your problem, not theirs.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
John, it's obvious you like the truckers, just as obvious that I don't.
I'm going to drop the subject now and refuse to get into an argument with you. We've both been members of this forum for many years, I'd like to stay and not get kicked off.
We all have our favorites, our own opinions and like different types of people, let's just leave it at that.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
With regards to the monster truckers, I have not really seen anything they have done in the race that has given me reason to not like them. Not yet, at least. Granted, they got upset at a cab driver back in the 2nd leg, but I don't really blame them there, as we have already seen horrible drivers so far. And they did make a mistake that could have been costly, when booking a flight prematurely back in Shanghai. And with the U-Turn, I totally understand them using it, since it was about survival. If they did not use it and got eliminated, then I'm sure a lot of people would be calling them idiots. For the time being, I am neutral towards them.

Also, it was Abbie & Ryan who finished first in this leg and has the chance for $2 million. I can't really put my finger on it, but something about this team that tells me, I won't be liking them.

Originally Posted by Josh Dial /t/323940/the-amazing-race-21#post_3989089
Just in case there was any lingering confusion on this point, you can still technically u-turn a team that has passed through the u-turn station, but it won't have an effect. This is irrespective of whether the subject team has finished the leg or not. Once you say "we choose not to u-turn" or "We are u-turning ," you are immune from the effects of the u-turn. Your picture still shows up on the board, but any attempt to u-turn you is "wasted."

Actually, you said it better than I ever would, as I tend to have a hard time explaining things.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Quote:
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]With regards to the monster truckers, I have not really seen anything they have done in the race that has given me reason to not like them. Not yet, at least. Granted, they got upset at a cab driver back in the 2nd leg, but I don't really blame them there, as we have already seen horrible drivers so far. And they did make a mistake that could have been costly, when booking a flight prematurely back in Shanghai. And with the U-Turn, I totally understand them using it, since it was about survival. If they did not use it and got eliminated, then I'm sure a lot of people would be calling them idiots. For the time being, I am neutral towards them.[/COLOR]
Thank you, Walter. You've expressed my thoughts better than I did. I don't even particularly like the truckers, but I simply see no reason to call them names. All I asked for was instances of their "boorish" behavior.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Walter C said:
With regards to the monster truckers, I have not really seen anything they have done in the race that has given me reason to not like them. Not yet, at least. Granted, they got upset at a cab driver back in the 2nd leg, but I don't really blame them there, as we have already seen horrible drivers so far. And they did make a mistake that could have been costly, when booking a flight prematurely back in Shanghai. And with the U-Turn, I totally understand them using it, since it was about survival. If they did not use it and got eliminated, then I'm sure a lot of people would be calling them idiots. For the time being, I am neutral towards them.
Also, it was Abbie & Ryan who finished first in this leg and has the chance for $2 million. I can't really put my finger on it, but something about this team that tells me, I won't be liking them.
Actually, you said it better than I ever would, as I tend to have a hard time explaining things. :)
Walter, thanks for correcting me with Abbie and Ryan being eligible for the double prize, just a bit of a mix up on my part between couples.
As for the truckers, just like you mentioned with Abbie and Ryan, I can't put my finger on it, maybe they just remind me of somebody from my past, I honestly don't know, but I just don't care for them. That is my final comment about that team.
Looking forward to the rest of the race, but things change a lot as teams are eliminated. Will be fun to watch.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Rats!

As the race moves on to Bangladesh, one of the most poorest countries in the world, and you could definitely see it in its capital, Dhaka. It makes India easy by comparison, as I think the culture shock in Dhaka is more like a major sucker punch, with all the congestion, basically where it's a battle of wills between drivers until the very last microsecond. And it's as if it was a goal of the city to use every square inch, with the way everything just seems so jumbled together, who no regards to boundaries. Even at the mat, a huge gathering of people around Phil and the pit stop greeter.

It is surprising that the race made a return visit to the former East Pakistan so soon, just like they did with Indonesia earlier. The big difference in this case, is that those places are shown in HD. This was where the Double U-Turn made its debut, for some TAR trivia.

First, a blind Double U-Turn, and now, a Fast Forward this season. And this would have been one of those where multiple teams could go for it and still have a chance (as oppose to the crappy ones of "take a number, wait your turn"). But I bet the teams watching the episode, have to be really relieved to not do it, as it's so freaking nasty to pick up dead rats. One is bad enough, but even seeing a bunch, dead or alive, well... definitely not for the squeamish. An interesting FF, and hopefully, not the only one this season.

It is kind of sad to see how huge fans, Gary & Will are of the show, but just unfortunate to see the race really overwhelm them big-time, and thus, not get very far. But at the same time, we all have to be relieved that the Superfans have finally been put out of their misery.

A little twist where teams have to depart from point A to B to C to get to the pit stop, which would have thrown a few teams off, if not for some help from other teams.

The remaining teams...

James & Abba - glad to see them finally win a leg. I am really liking this team, and hope they make it all the way. Seem very down-to-earth.

Abbie & Ryan - looking like this is the team to beat, as they finished very high in every leg so far, and almost won their 3rd leg, making me think of them as this season's version of Dave & Rachel. And it was funny to see Abbie do the suicide gesture, behind one of the yelling twins.

Natalie & Nadiya - take down a notch there! The hyper twins are even annoying other racers, with their loud talking. Still, I may have underestimated them earlier, as they have done well on this race so far, for the most part. And they still have that Express Pass.

Josh & Brent - one of those teams flying under the radar, but seem very likeable. Not as much drama as I thought so far. Also, nice of them that to help Trey & Lexi get to the pit stop the right way, knowing that they were not in any danger of getting eliminated.

Rob & Kelley - just not having good luck when it comes to transportation. And so out of place with the rolled luggage, in the crowded marketplace. Still, they survive despite the mistake of skipping a certain point to get to the pit stop.

Jaymes & James - liked how they just made fun of the twins, after all the yelling at the Roadblock. Though, I was surprised that they picked the cotton over the iron rods at the Detour.

Trey & Lexi - Very fortunate that they are still in the race despite the cab troubles and going the "wrong" way to the pit stop. Not sure what to think of this team, but they have not really stood out so far.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
Three observations:
1. I will not be planning a vacation getaway to Bangladesh anytime soon.
2. I had to replace the batteries in my remote because they used up from frequent employment of the 'mute' button every time the Sri Lankan sisters were on screen. "Come on, Twinnie!" They have joined the ranks of the most annoying teams in Amazing Race history.
3. This is the first season in awhile where I don't have a strong rooting interest for any of the teams remaining. I guess my favorite is the Texans, mostly because Lexi is cute, but besides the goat farmers no one else seems all that appealing.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by DaveHof /t/323940/the-amazing-race-21/30#post_3992141
1. I will not be planning a vacation getaway to Bangladesh anytime soon.
2. I had to replace the batteries in my remote because they used up from frequent employment of the 'mute' button every time the Sri Lankan sisters were on screen. "Come on, Twinnie!" They have joined the ranks of the most annoying teams in Amazing Race history.

I was thinking about this, and meant to say earlier, that the show has managed to make almost every place they visited, very appealing and making me want to book the next flight to that place. But not the case with Bangladesh, as this place is just looks horribly unappealing in so many ways. Even the Travel Channel shows like Anthony Bourdain, have not gone there, probably for good reason.

Also, that could be a drinking game with the number of times you hear "Come on, Twinnie!"

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wow. Not much conversation in this thread.

Just back from vacation and caught up on two weeks
worth of The Amazing Race.

Very proud of the "long hairs" for winning both legs

of the race. I really like both these guys. They do
things in a very "laid back" almost effortless fashion.

It really makes you want to root for them.

Sorry to hear about the father with cancer.

What more can be said about the Twinnie's? They
are indeed like claws on a chalkboard. Irritating
week after week, and yet, they remain mostly
dominant in this race. I have a feeling we won't be
able to get rid of these annoyances anytime soon.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
It's been a less satisfying season for me. Usually there are at least a couple of teams worth rooting for and a couple you can't wait to see go home. I'll keep rooting for Trey and Lexi, but otherwise I'm not really excited about any of the contestants.
That said, next week looks to be a fun episode. Anything would be better than Bangladesh.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Walter C /t/323940/the-amazing-race-21/30#post_3992499
Also, that could be a drinking game with the number of times you hear "Come on, Twinnie!"

I suggested this during our family viewing. "Every time someone says 'Twinnie' take a drink of milk" It got so out of control during the scale challenge my wife had to put a stop to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation483
Recent bookmarks