What's new

The All-New Super Friends Hour DVD (1 Viewer)

ClassicTVFan1981

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Benjamin Edge
Hi,

With the first volume DVD set of The All-New Super Friends Hour ready to come out on January 8th, does anyone know what the final outlook is on it?

In other words, did the Warners find the original (1977) opening and closing title themes for it during preparation?

Regards,

Ben

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I can't imagine Warner doesn't have the original openings and closings. They've been extremely good with the DC Comics properties thus far. I'm going to guess, though, we're going to have to wait until Tuesday to figure it out.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
i still have to watch the Galactic Gaurdians one. aNd that Aquaman... Been loving the DC line so far!

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

Marvin claims he owns the copyright on his superhero outfit and will sue if they don't pay him.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Okay, here's the deal:

1) This is the opening used for the show.
2) There is a short synopsis of the four episodes to follow immediately after the opening credits.
3) Each episode within the episode has a title card showing the two heroes and the title of the show (example: Batman and Wonder Woman on "The Brain Machine").
4) After the first episode, there is a preview for "Joy Ride."
5) The original "Safety, "Magic," "De-Coder" segments are included within each episode.
6) There is a short preview for the next complete episode at the end.

I wasn't born to watch these in the original form, but this looks to be the complete episodes. The first runs 46:08.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

as much as I enjoyed seeing the first season as a kid, compared to the later seasons, the hour long episodes are really boring and don't contain real super villains. The first season is a harder sell.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I thought I heard somewhere that the first series of Super Friends was in worse shape than the others.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
There is a clip from that first season in the documentary on the Filmation Aquaman set. So it seems likely at least it is being prepped somehow.

Clay_E

Second Unit
The first couple seasons have episodes I fondly remember from childhood which I'm dying to see again: guest appearances from The Flash, Green Arrow, and Plastic Man (of whom the latter two were never seen on the show again, oddly enough) and a flashback to Krypton and Superman's origin. I wish they'd put these out...

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Are the Superfriends '78 episodes uncut on dvd? They used the ANSH openings and the Challenge closings and the episodes barely run 22:00, unless the remainder of that half hour was Schoolhouse Rock.

ClassicTVFan1981

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Benjamin Edge

The 1978 Super Friends episodes were originally part of the same 8 am hour (PST) it had shared with Challenge of the Super Friends (the latter program aired last) during their original broadcast on ABC, thus the same end credit sequence. Meaning the '78 SF episodes ran first and the Challenge episodes (with the Justice League vs. the Legion of Doom) aired last.

But the 1978 Super Friends episodes, like the Challenge episodes that came 30 mins after, did (and still) have on-screen episode title cards.

~Ben

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Did they have an opening of their own or the Challenge opening? And are these uncut or syndicated prints...I was just wondering because they run a little short for 1978. Thanks!

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Alright, I was just wondering because some info. I have states that the 1978 episodes had the Challenge opening with a Superfriends episode card and that syndication prints use the 1977 opening and the Challenge closing.

ClassicTVFan1981

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Benjamin Edge

That still makes me wonder why the Warners just did not package both series as a whole on DVD (y'know, the way it was back in '78 on ABC).

The original hour-long format goes thus:
*Challenge of the Super Friends opening title
*Super Friends segment title card
*Super Friends segment
*Challenge of the Super Friends segment title card
*Challenge of the Super Friends segment
*Cliffhanger previewing next week's episodes
*Challenge of the Super Friends closing title

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Do you know if there was a teaser at the beginning of the Challenge hour like on the All New Hour?

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
BTW, the on-screen title on the dvds for All New is just Superfriends...I saw a pic of the All New title on Google...was the title changed?

ClassicTVFan1981

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Benjamin Edge

Oh dear... the syndicated opening title again (first seen re-mastered on the 1978 Super Friends episodes that were released on the Super Friends Vol. 2 DVD). The other flaw is that the 7 episodes released on this Volume 1 installment are not in broadcast order. These flaws aside, all the episodes are otherwise complete (all cliffhangers and 30-sec tip guides are intact).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks