What's new

The all-in-one THE TROUBLE WITH AMC thread (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
rich malloy said it right. they ditched us first when they became a USA like channel.
i stopped watching along time ago.
if anyone wants to tell them why you dont watch go here...

this is what i sent.

Link Removed

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Coming next Friday to AMC - "Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers". :thumbsdown:

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy

Check the first post;) American Movie Classics. They were once a respectable mocie channel that showed classic movies. Before the changed their format, they were showing commercial-free unedited movies. Much like TCM does now. AMC would show about 50/50 OAR/MAR. About three years ago, they changed to contemperary films. Edited, and with commercials.:angry: :angry:

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
On a positive note, I did notice while flipping the dial recently that AMC has a new onscreen logo. That should turn things right around for them.

I had Dish Network installed this week. Ah, the joys of Turner Classic Movies!

JamesMH

Stunt Coordinator
I stopped watching AMC when the added the commericials, just like I stopped watching Bravo several years ago for the same reason. Not sure, but it looks IFC will follow, they already have the bug, and its getting worse in TNN style.

I cancelled Dish, refuse to pay for these channels that should be commercial free.

JakeR

Stunt Coordinator
I honestly didn't frequent AMC all that much, but I always had the impression they preferred more "distinguished" films that weren't readily available elesewhere on the tuner.

Seeing "Predator 2" on "American Movie Classics" the other night had me doing a double take.

And the TNN bug is ridiculous. Isn't that the channel that keeps the name of the movie up at all times? Lowest common denominator thinking.

As if there's a person on this Earth who couldn't recognize "Bloodsport" from just a few seconds of viewing. :)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Let's face it, TNN markets their station to people who have trouble recogizing their own faces in the mirror. :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
As I've noted previously, the TNN bug/message bar is enormously helpful to me because, sometimes, when I see Patrick Stewart in his red-and-black Starfleet outfit I just draw a blank and forget which show it is I'm watching. And squishing the image to fit in the real estate not taken up by the message bar makes it easier for everything to fit within my field of view. And it always helps to know what channel I'm tuned in to.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Good for them. They're getting what they deserve. I wonder how that new head lady who was quoted in all the articles feels about her changes now?

My only problem is that my AT&T Cable has TCM on the Digital Cable tier, and I refuse to pay more for that. Now if they would get onboard with HDTV I'd be there.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
As much as I love 80s flicks, I acknowledge that they aren't really classics...

AMC is in a major suck zone right now.

TCM is still the one for me...I'm smelling a ratings boom for Turner Classic very soon.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

TCM only shows a few recent movies a month. They still know what their core is. AMC...Not even close!

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
only place you can see back to the future in widescreen (oar?) for those who don't have laserdisc players...can't wait until december!

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
I wish AMC would just change its name to "The American Movie Channel" to go with its new logo and image. But, unfortunately, they still seem to think the movies they show are classics, and they will remain "American Movie Classics" for the time being...

...actually, now that I think of it, a better name for AMC would be "JMC." Wonder what that stands for? "The Joe-Six-Pack Movie Channel". Does everyone agree?

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Just out of curiosity, didn't AMC also lose the ability to show a lot of classics year or so ago? I think they lost the ability to air MGM classics that are part of the Turner's holdings.

Can anyone confirm this?

Craig_T

Second Unit
AMC = Another Moronic Channel. Although admittedly TNN has set the bar for sucking so unbelievably high that even AMC is going to have a hard time being that terrible.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Personally, since they have already given up the classic market to TCM, my formula for turnaround would be to hand all of the programming over to Joe Bob Briggs and the Ghoul and make themselves the American Drive-in Movie Classics channel.

The more I think about this, the less I think I am kidding. There is a serious bad movie host gap on cable these days that needs to be filled.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks