What's new

The all-in-one THE TROUBLE WITH AMC thread (1 Viewer)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
You know what makes it even worse, Robert? Cablevision told me that, at this time, they DON'T plan on carrying AMC's "Hollywood Classics" channel on "regular" cable. I'd have to upgrade my service (at a higher price, of course) to "digital cable" to get it! :angry:

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Peter, I think the article specifically mentioned that the new AMC channel will be digital only, so don't blame Cablevision.

It's one thing to change, but like the article said, one loses respect when they go so far as to blatantly disregard their mission objectives.

Last week I recorded some movie off AMC, don't remember which one, realised it was not OAR, and deleted.

AMC: :thumbsdown:

I end up recording one or two movies a day off of TCM. Because of this channel (I have a DirecTV) and the UltimateTV recorder, I am seeing so much great film. I record more than I can watch.

TCM: Best channel ever.

Brian E

Screenwriter
Pretty soon they'll have disclaimers at the front of each movie like TNT did for the Godfather. "This film is being shown uncut to maintain the artists vision" or something like that. They showed it uncut, but P&S! That really maintains the "artists vision". :rolleyes

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
Makes me wonder why the hell I bothered to complain, since I'm assuming they don't take the complaints they do receive seriously. I wrote a lengthy, two page complaint, explaining that I had been a loyal viewer for years until the recent decision to add commercials, and their seeming aversion to widescreen presentations. I even printed it out, hand-signed it, and mailed it in. Talk about a waste of 34 cents.:angry:

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Excellent article! I don't get TCM, so I'm kinda screwed if I want to find a Golden Age classic on my cable box! :frowning:

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
TCM...these 3 magic letters guarantee you a splendid movie watching time. I'm only 19 years old, and I watch this network more than any other. The old movies are wonderful to watch, and they have just the right amount of 70s, 80s and 90s movies (which is small, and that's just the way it should be). The documentaries are wonderful, and I am enraptured whenever they air a "One Reel Wonder" or a segment "From The Vault". TCM started my appreciation for musicals, as well as allowed me to view "Back To The Future" in its OAR for the first time ever.

AMC isn't cool...it's chilly, and chilly ain't ever been cool, to paraphrase George Carlin. If you want my view on TCM, follow this link...Link Removed

It's a sketch I wrote for SNLYOU where I poke fun at AMC. Yes, I know I'm quoting "Full Metal Jacket" in the "Officer and A Gentlemen" exchange and that I got the lyrics for "Blues In The Night" wrong, but I hope you can understand the spirit.

Sincerely,

John "Let me put it this way...TCM is the bar room badass with a beer and a big gun, while AMC is a 10 cent wing that tastes like crap" Kilduff

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I didn't know people existed without the choice.

Man, DirecTV is better than I thought.

This article is almost a non-issue around here at this point. We already have said it AND didn't we just have a thread about the AMC changes a few weeks ago, including the hint about this new spin-off channel?

Looks like the implication is now verified, but Robert is right, who will actually be able to get AMC-classic? (nice name, American Movie Classics....er, Classic - You're one groovy baby...baby) :)

I know, "Hollywood Classics" but still...it's in the freaking original name. Why not INSTEAD just start a new commerical film channel if it's such a great idea. I'll tell you why, because they are going to charge extra for HC and because they are trying to bank on the already established position of AMC, using it as a foot in the door to offer programming that NO ONE wants.

Cripes, TNT and TBS have a better film selection if I want commericials in my films.

I say, once HC gets going, that we organize a letter writing campaign to distributors (ie, cable co. and DirecTV) to get AMC REPLACED with HC on our channel lineups.

Wouldn't the irony just be delicious. :D

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Last year, after years of begging for movies from friends who had TCM, I finally had a satellite dish installed ONLY so that I could get TCM. I'm happy now. :D

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Actually, the part about AMC showing more modern movies makes sense to me. "Deer Hunter", for example, certainly is a classic American movie (and it's almost 25 years old). I think they have to do that, otherwise they'll keep showing the same old movies over and over again.

However, the commercials and P&S have to go.

/Mike

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member

I watched it too! Great film indeed, and I probably would not have seen it but for the fact it was on TCM! :emoji_thumbsup:

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
Last night AMC played The Deer Hunter in it's correct aspect ratio. Do they just do this with some films and butcher the rest?

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Yep, I saw The Deer Hunter as well, and was shocked to see that they were showing it in its OAR! :eek:

I think this is a rare occurence on AMC. But lets hope that it might be a sign of changes to come!?

DonMac

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with what's been said in this thread about AMC, but they do have one special on there I like a lot: Backstory.

Every week, I scan the AMC listings for what's the subject of the latest installment of Backstory. Heck, I recently watched the Backstory on The Seven Year Itch and think it was better than the movie itself!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Interesting. We used to have Cablevision here up until 2 or 3 years ago, when it was bought out by Time Warner of Albany. I thought it was a company wide acquisition of Cablevision by Time Warner. Guess not...
But since they own they company that made the decision to make it digital cable only, isn't it still their fault?

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
In this week's LA Times Calendar there are a TON of letters to the editor about the article. Every one of them agrees with Susan King's assertions and quite a few of them also mention AMC's tendency to show pan-and-scan versions of classic films. Just as it did here, the article really struck a nerve in LA.

Check it out here: The Decline of AMC

-greg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks