What's new

The all-in-one THE TROUBLE WITH AMC thread (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
According to the schedule on their website , there are upcoming letterbox showings of Young Sherlock Holmes, Seconds and Fright Night.

Classy. The combination of profanity and ignorance says a lot about a person.

M.

RicP

Screenwriter
Not to mention the ability to use both major profanities and garbled grammar in a one line post. There's got to be a prize for that one!

AMC is still showing Letterboxed Films.

------------------

Ric Perrott - My DVD's

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
A damn shame. Another step back down into the mainstream morass. (Yes, yes, they still show letterbox, but it seems that the P&S/full-frame presentations most often get the "prime time" showings.)

Well, we can still count on TCM.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
They didn't always do so, but did often do so. It struck me as fairly even for awhile, but now it's tilted heavily in favor of P&S/full-frame in the prime-time slots.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I've written off AMC. They've become pretty close to any other cable channel (TBS, etc.).

As much as Ted Turner was blasted for colorization, Turner Classic Movies is probably the best movie channel out there, in terms of consistent OAR presentation, lack of commercials, and breadth of movies shown.

If TCM was in Hidef.....it would be the answer to a movie lover's prayers....

------------------

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
I wrote to AMC too and they sent me the same letter. They even lied in it. They said they had "80 million loyal viewers". If they had that many, they'd be the number one channel in the world and they're not. Now, it might be possible that adding up all the cable systems and the satellite services they may be available in 80 million homes ,a far different thing than having that many viewers.

The letter implied that being a basic service we don't pay for it. Another lie. The cable and satellite services have to pay them a fee based on the number of subscribers they have. That of course, is figured into the monthly rate we pay.

As I told AMC I've reprogrammed my remotes so they aren't in the scan anymore. No real loss as most of the true classics they use to have are now running on Turner Classic Movies.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Yes, no doubt about it: TCM is the channel for movie lovers. Kinda ironic ain't it? Well, I've now completely forgiven Ted Turner for his past sins. He's completely redeemed himself.

AMC, on the other hand... So sad. So disappointing. So long.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
All this praise for TCM.

Recently, it seems to me that they have been airing a lot of colorized movies. Am I imagining things. I use to pride myself on my ability to spot these abominations within about 2 seconds.

------------------
God Bless America

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I am now reacting to AMC in exactly the same way I did to Bravo years back: no longer watching.

------------------

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
They have always been second banana to TCM, in my opinion, as 75% of the movies they run can hardly be called "classics," plus they only played OAR late at night and only for certain movies. Still, no other non-premium movie channel besides TCM could touch them, and while Bob Dorian was hosting, the channel did a good job. Now, they have gone the route of the once-wonderful Disney Channel and decided (I assume) to widen their broadcast area by accepting revenue from commercial advertisements. Subtly at first, running a short ad or two BETWEEN movies, they now interrupt every movie in the middle. It is only a matter of time before breaks occur every ten or fifteen minutes. Plus, their Monsterfest is unwatchable (for me) and certainly un-tapable due to the large and ugly bug on the lower right corner all they way through the movie. It is a sad day when one of the only two decent classic movie channels sells out. God help us if TCM does this, too.

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
You're so right. I was with them almost from the start and use to watch at least 30 movies a month (not to mention all those that I taped) in the last year or so maybe I watch 3 or 4 a month. Now it's not even worth it. I've reprogrammed my remotes so I don't even have to look at them as I'm surfing. On the bright side, most of the real classics they had are over on Turner Classic Movies now.

What really bugs me is how they are deceiving us. I wrote and in the form letter they sent back they said they had "80 million loyal viewers". That's crap. If they had that many they'd be the highest rated channel in the world and their not even close. Maybe they're channel is available in 80 million homes, but that's not the same thing.

Gary Kellerman

Stunt Coordinator
I think it started Friday. It appears to be on a continous basis. There are all kinds of "smut" in this world; this logo or "bug" business is one of them. I wonder if these cable channels are issued licenses to broadcast from the FCC much like the terrestrial tv stations. If they are issued licenses in that manner, the "bug" thing is certainly not in the public interest but in fact is a public nuisance. I wished I had the energy, money,time health and knowhow to legally research and see if their license to broadcast could be challenged and that means every broadcaster who does this practice.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Oh, this is a sensitive subject around here, Gary. I have long advocated finding a political solution to this infestation of station bugs. (For the most obnoxious bugs, check out TNN sometime.)

I say ban the bugs--by whatever means possible. Mr. Jason Seaver often cites First Amendment issues in arguing against a political solution to the problem. But I wonder if there are loopholes in that line of reasoning?

------------------

Gary Kellerman

Stunt Coordinator
Jack; we have banted with each other over this subject for some time. I do not know where this business falls under the constitution. The only thing I have come up with is on my initial post on this thread. I do not see it falling under the category of subliminal brainwashing which I heard was done by interjecting within a movie frame a scene of snacks that would make people subconsciously get hungry. I would call this a form of NON-SUBLIMINAL BRAINWASHING, but I cannot at this point express myself as to exactly what mental stress this is causing other than we have a stationery object(the logo) over a moving object(the motion picture)which would be IMO a key element in a court of law to ban the bugs. Anybody with a electronic version of RAID or BLACK FLAG around?

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
We're not the only ones taking note of AMC's precipitous decline. From film critic, Armond White, in today's NY Press:

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Mr. White put it well, Al. The only occasional reason to watch AMC now is Hollywood Lives and Legends. (Though the network's practice of showing cheesy horror flicks on Friday evenings is cool--that is, before the commercial interruptions.)

------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks