What's new

The all-in-one FAVORITE CHRISTMAS MOVIE thread (1 Viewer)

Don Smith

Grip
My wife, my buddy (who I'v been best friends with since grade three), my sister-in-law (my buddy's girlfriend), and I officially began our Christmas Movie Marathon tonight with National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. We are looking for suggestions to include in our weekly or dual weekly marathon.

We have already reserved It's a Wonderful Life for Christmas Eve as it is my favourite Christmas movie. Other movies that I already have in mind are Die Hard, Home Alone, The Santa Claus, and Scrooged.

Any suggestions for movies to include in our marathon would be appreciated as there are many classic Christmas films that I have not yet seen.

I know that this may seem a bit early for many of you, but up here in Canada, the next major holiday after Halloween is Christmas and if we are only watching one or two movies together per week, we have a lot of movie watching to fit in before Christmas.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
No definate order except for the first one:

Christmas Story

A Christmas Carol -- just about any version though I'm partial to the George C. Scott version

Natalie Woods in The Miracle on 34th St.

Too much syrup countered with The Ref

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
We're No Angels is one of the best Christmas movies of all time, IMO. For the record, I'm referring to the original with Humphrey Bogart, Peter Ustinov, and Aldo Ray.

It's a Wonderful Life, Die Hard, Miracle on 34th Street, The Bishop's Wife and A Christmas Story are some of our other favorites.

This year I may actually put in The Star Wars Holiday Special for my son. I got a VHS copy off Ebay a while back, watched it once, and debated whether to never watch it again, or jab ice picks in my eyes & ears to try to erase the images and sounds that came out of that monstrosity. My son's been bugging me to show it to him ever since, but I truly fear being brought up on child abuse charges if I do. I might risk it this year, just to get him to leave me alone about it.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
How The Grinch Stole Christmas (Classic Animated version)
Christmas Vacation
A Christmas Story
Scrooged
Nightmare Before Christmas (Althought I usually watch this one on Halloween)

Don Smith

Grip
Thanks for all of the suggestions so far. I will also check out the thread in the polls area for some ideas.

Probably my favourtie Christmas story is A Christmas Carol so any movie that I have seen that is an adaptation of that is enjoyable to watch.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
I like the Jim Carrey version of "The Grinch" (despite some derision of a few) just fine. My 6 y/o loves this movie and "Home Alone" (Both 1 & 2).

"Trading Places" (OK, it's not really a Christmas movie per se, but something strikes me about Dan Ackroyd as a drunk Santa eating a fish that's stuck in his beard)

I'll second "Gremlins"

"Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas" (Direct to video, but excellent)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Santa with Muscles
Jingle All the Way
Those are two movies you need to avoid. :)
~T

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I've got to second the George C. Scott version of A Christmas Carol. (It was a 1984 TV movie, so don't panic that the DVD is fullscreen :D )
Seriously, though, it's the best version of the story I've seen (I admit I haven't seen the 1951 version with Alastair Sim; shame on me, I guess). The Scott version is very well-acted, and the tone is somewhat darker and closer to the original story than most others I've seen. And the best thing about it is that it seems like everyone involved really cared about telling the story, rather than just going through the motions.
And the scenes with Jacob Marley and Christmas Yet to Come are pretty scary :D :emoji_thumbsup: Good stuff.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I don't think any of these movies have been suggested:
Meet Me in St. Louis
Three Godfathers
Mr. Destiny (I think it's Christmas-related)

~T

Don Smith

Grip
Several years ago I remember watching a version of A Christmas Carol. All that I can remember from it is a scene where Scrooge is ice skating with that girl he likes, and there was also some mention during the movie at one point of Scrooge's mother dying shortly after Scrooge's birth. I think that it may have been from the late 70's - early 80's and it may have been the George C. Scott version but I am not sure. Does anyone recall which version of A Christmas Carol this sounds like? Sorry for being so vague on the details, but I was only about 11 when I saw it.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
I'm just wondering what movies people watch on Christmas Eve and/or Christmas Day every year and why.
On Christmas Eve the family and I love to watch Arnold Schwarzenegger's Jingle All The Way. We just find this movie so hilarious, cause we know how he feels sometimes in the movie. LOL
On Christmas Day the family and I watch Nicolas Cage in The Family Man. Even though we may not get or have every luxury, we still have each other.
Merry Christmas everyone. :)

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Christmas Eve = White Christmas
Christmas Day = It's a Wonderful Life.

I watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation at least twice each year, also - but not on a particular day.

"The BLESSING!!!" -- Uncle Lewis

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
"The Lion in Winter" always brings families closer together.

Henry, Eleanor and the boys celebrate the Holidays.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks