What's new

"The Alamo"s Status? (1 Viewer)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Tom St Jones said:
"Restored" with quotation marks, you mean. By now, a full restoration is pretty much impossible, according to Mr. Harris.

Yes, but at least as much that is humanly possible in the present. It's to the point where any such compromise is necessary for the sake of preserving what currently exists.

gizzy2000

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Is it actually true that they are "restoring" the Roadshow footage to release a blu ray of the extended cut? I seem to recall this being announced quite a while ago but with no further elaboration on the part of MGM

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
gizzy2000 said:
Is it actually true that they are "restoring" the Roadshow footage to release a blu ray of the extended cut? I seem to recall this being announced quite a while ago but with no further elaboration on the part of MGM
Apparently, yes.

MGM announced that they had examined the original camera negative, and found it pristine. The work involved should have been complete a year ago.

New Blu-ray, unrestored, as it's not necessary, should be released shortly.

For those wondering about my earlier comments, it appears that I had examined and tested the wrong original negative.

All is well!

RAH

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Robin9 said:
Of course. As we all know, there is always more than one original negative. :)

The norm for silent cinema. Very rarely for sound. And unfortunately, only one for The Alamo.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
They (MGM) have had plenty of time to "restore" this, and nothing from them about it in a year and a half... it ain't happening.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
We have to wait for a change in the executive team at the studio now called "MGM".

Let's just hope that the restoration tools available then will have improved enough to compensate for the losses in the elements.

It's a matter of timing.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Dr Griffin said:
They (MGM) have had plenty of time to "restore" this, and nothing from them about it in a year and a half... it ain't happening.

Exactly. They made a public statement meant to shut everyone up and stop pestering them by alleging they were restoring the film, then dropped all mention after that.

MGM has let The Alamo die.

FWAJMB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Blosser
Robert Harris said:
Apparently, yes.

MGM announced that they had examined the original camera negative, and found it pristine. The work involved should have been complete a year ago.

New Blu-ray, unrestored, as it's not necessary, should be released shortly.

For those wondering about my earlier comments, it appears that I had examined and tested the wrong original negative.

All is well!

RAH

It's hard for me to tell if this is a sincere comment or a sarcastic comment.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know."

Quote borrowed from Donald Rumsfeld

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
The plot thickens! As has been posted in another thread this is being aired on MGM HD starting in two weeks, very interesting also to see two different runtimes, I would bet it will be the 161 minute version as the longer version just won't fit in the allocated time slots.

From the MGM HD search results, these can be checked here:
http://www.mgmhd.com/

Search results for: the alamo

Fri
Mar 4
10:00

pm

The Alamo
Davy Crockett (John Wayne), Jim Bowie (Richard Widmark) and William Travis (Laurence Harvey) die defending the Texas fort against Mexican soldiers in 1836.

Starring: John Wayne, Richard Widmark, Laurence Harvey | Directed By: John Wayne

192min., Rated NR

Sat
Mar 12
7:00

pm

The Alamo
Davy Crockett (John Wayne), Jim Bowie (Richard Widmark) and William Travis (Laurence Harvey) die defending the Texas fort against Mexican soldiers in 1836.

Starring: John Wayne, Richard Widmark, Laurence Harvey | Directed By: John Wayne

192min., Rated NR

Sun
Mar 20

pm

The Alamo

161min., Rated NR

Fri
Mar 25
12:00

am

The Alamo

192min., Rated NR

Mon
Mar 28

pm

The Alamo

192min., Rated NR

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Well, i'm soitenly going to have my DVR set for multiple recordings. Now if I could just figure out a way transfer it to a hard copy at up-rezzed quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks