What's new

"The Alamo"s Status? (1 Viewer)

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
IMG_0446.JPG

The rumours might not be true, but it sure looks to me like they could be dating.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Steve...O said:
Hi Jason - please go back to post 67 from Richard V and see who "liked" that post. I think that provides some insight (and reason for cautious optimism) and goes along with what John and Stephen posted above.
Post #3 of this thread might be even more insightful.

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
Just out of curiousity, I Googled this, which brought me to Wikipedia (I know, I know).
At the end of the article is an interesting tidbit.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I bit and went to find the "interesting tidbit."
The Alamo premiered at its 70mm roadshow length of 202 minutes, including overture, intermission, and exit music, but was severely cut for wide release. UA re-edited it to 167 minutes. The 202-minute version was believed lost until a Canadian fan, Bob Bryden, realized he had seen the full version in the 1970s. He and Alamo collector Ashley Ward discovered the last known surviving print of the 70mm premiere version in Toronto.[26] It was pristine. MGM (UA's sister studio) used this print to make a digital video transfer of the roadshow version for VHS and LaserDisc release.

The print was taken apart and deteriorated in storage. By 2007 it was unavailable in any useful form. MGM used the shorter general release version for subsequent DVD releases. The only version of the original uncut roadshow release is on digital video. It is the source for broadcasts on Turner Classic Movies. The best available actual film elements are of the 35mm negatives of the general release version.

A restoration of the deteriorating print found in Toronto, supervised by Robert A. Harris, is underway.[27]

The overture and musical intermission in the film are usually omitted from TV broadcasts.

Reactions: PMF

sonomatom1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Martin
Thanks a lot.. That is really interesting and ultimately very sad article (like the state of so many great films). For years I always assumed that film studios guarded their films like money in the bank. I never realized until a few years ago how little the studios care about what they produced. Thank God for public and private archives that are restoring and preserving our (the US) greatest art heritage. Very disappointing - and tragic.

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
sonomatom1 said:
Jacksmyname - There's no link to an article... I'm confused.
Sorry about that, don't know how to link.
Search The Alamo 1960 film on Wikipedia.
The tidbit is at the end of the article.
See Mike's post above.

sonomatom1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Martin
I'm pretty sure this is out-dated information. Mr. Harris wrote quite an extensive article about three or four years ago (a couple of years later than the Wikipedia article, I believe) where he detailed the horror show the restoration was turning out to be. At that time, he was looking for approx. $1m to finance the cost of the restoration, and wasn't optimistic about finding the money because MGM was then in bankruptcy, and wasn't terribly interesting in investing money it clearly didn't have, on a then 50 year old film that was not a critical favorite when it was released or five decades later, and most likely would not recoup even a fraction of the cost of restoration, marketing, and distribution. As far as I know, Mr. Harris has said nothing publicly about any further work on the film.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
sonomatom1 said:
I'm pretty sure this is out-dated information. Mr. Harris wrote quite an extensive article about three or four years ago (a couple of years later than the Wikipedia article, I believe) where he detailed the horror show the restoration was turning out to be. At that time, he was looking for approx. $1m to finance the cost of the restoration, and wasn't optimistic about finding the money because MGM was then in bankruptcy, and wasn't terribly interesting in investing money it clearly didn't have, on a then 50 year old film that was not a critical favorite when it was released or five decades later, and most likely would not recoup even a fraction of the cost of restoration, marketing, and distribution. As far as I know, Mr. Harris has said nothing publicly about any further work on the film.
See post #3 on this thread. :)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There is no restoration effort at this time.

Which means that there may never be a restoration effort.

It appears that MGM has chosen to allow the film to die, as no immediate action will be taken, with elements just one stage above that of industrial waste.

A pity, but one of many in the library.

Not the way that fairy tales should end.

RAH

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Robert Harris said:

It appears that MGM has chosen to allow the film to die, as no immediate action will be taken, with elements just one stage above that of industrial waste.

RAH
This truly is a tragedy. Thank you, Mr. Harris, for your wonderful restoration work and for your advocacy for a restored version of The Alamo. Your efforts are deeply appreciated.

Darby

ljgranberry

Second Unit
Real Name
Larry Granberry
Is there any way the Film Foundation, the American Film Institute, and/or any other organization that has restored so many films somehow get involved? I think also raising public awareness more is the only way to spur these idiots to act. It all comes down to money, unfortunately. A damn shame.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Robert Harris said:
There is no restoration effort at this time.Which means that there may never be a restoration effort.It appears that MGM has chosen to allow the film to die, as no immediate action will be taken, with elements just one stage above that of industrial waste.A pity, but one of many in the library.Not the way that fairy tales should end.RAH
Thank you for giving us an update. Even if it is one sad bit of news. :-(

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
A Few Words of...™ Doom. :)

Thank you for making this clear, once again.

Does the "but one of many in the library" refer to the number of other films in immediate danger, or just to the sheer immensity of the library?

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Robert Harris said:

RAH
Rotten news.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks