What's new

The AFI 100 Years List for 2008... (1 Viewer)

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia

I saw A Cry in the Dark when it first came out years ago. I thought it was an adequate enough movie but not memorable in any way. How this one made the list and not Inherit the Wind is beyond me. I would have thought Inherit the Wind and Tracy's performance in particular would have been more in the mind's of the voters than that obscure Meryl Streep one. I was also surprised by some of the other choices and also shocked but delighted that a David Lynch film made the grade. I thought he would have been just too ' out there' for the voters.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Yeah the lack of Inherit the Wind and The Apartment are both baffling.

It's interesting that on a couple other forums, the posters (almost all men) bitch that Romantic Comedy shouldn't be a category and they should have War films instead, as if the top ten lists weren't male oriented enough as it was. :P

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’d like to have seen a further subset of Romantic Comedies: Screwballs. Maybe then Preston Sturges would get a bit more recognition.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

This is so true. The only good thing that comes out of them is that they do cause a discussion, which might make people watch them to see what all the fuss is about.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Screwball Comedies would have been better, but ratings. :shrug: I noticed that romantic comedies were one of the last genres in the program, that was probably deliberate.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
I'm assuming only American films qualify. Isn't Lawrence of Arabia and Clockwork Orange British as well ?

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
all three made with american funding, put in production by american producers & studios iirc.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Thanks re: THE THIRD MAN. I think I read somewhere that for a film to be considered "American", then it must have had 90% of the money from American hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks