What's new

The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. ? (1 Viewer)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, that would be consistant with, say, the price of the Babylon 5 sets, which also MSRP for about $100. Course, I don't know if Brisco is going to have the following that B5 has, so I don't know if the willingness to shell out $60-$70 retail is going to be there for a lot of people.

Jason

Real Name
John S. Troutman
2 seasons on 8 discs with solid extras? $99 sounds fair to me. Plus, that'll probably get knocked down ten or so bucks on store shelves. And hey - if people will pay $80 for only *13* episodes of Deadwood...

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'm not one of those cry babies who whine about HBO prices but let's face it, The Adventures Of Brisco County, Jr. ain't Deadwood. :)
True enough - the Brisco box will have twice as many episodes as a Deadwood season, and I'm willing to bet that very few episodes of Deadwood will feature time-traveling gunfighters with ambtions to RULE THE WORLD! We're getting a bargain. :D

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
There's a dedicated group of us that love this show and, even though we know the $80 that Best Buy will extract from us is on the uncool end of the pricing bell curve, we'll pay it because having this eight-disc set with a bunch of extra stuff will be worth the price.
Yeah, there's definitely a ton of hardcore Bruce/Brisco County fans that will buy it no matter what (and as someone who has bought The X-Files sets, The Twilight Zone re-releases, and plenty of HBO stuff, I can totally understand that) but I still think there's thousands of less devoted Bruce fans that would buy the set at $40 or $50 and will never buy it at $80 (and I'm one of them). The number of hardcore Brisco fans doesn't come close to the people who will pay high prices for Star Trek or Babylon 5 or The Twilight Zone.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I was considering a blind buy of this show since I like Bruce Campbell.... but I can't see blind buying it at this price... a show I may not even like.... I am not a huge western fan.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
At the very least, this mad stupid price has bumped the set from the all important (for the studios) first week sale to the all imporant (for me and my pocketbook) annual Deep Discount sale. 20% off of their price SHOULD bring the price down to something approaching reasonable.

Still, I'm not going north of 60 bucks for ANY TV show* no matter how much I've been waiting for it.

* save for one: Doctor Who. But that's a whole diffrent ball of wax than Brisco.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I still think there's thousands of less devoted Bruce fans that would buy the set at $40 or $50 and will never buy it at $80 (and I'm one of them). The number of hardcore Brisco fans doesn't come close to the people who will pay high prices for Star Trek or Babylon 5 or The Twilight Zone.
That's not the important question, though. No, Brisco won't sell like even Voyager. The question is, are there enough less-hardcore fans to make a $40-50 street price right out the gate worth it? I'm guessing that Warner has done the research and crunched the numbers and figured, no. So they'll release it at $100 SRP, sell it to those of us willing to pay it, and then when it stops moving, cut the price to $50 (and maybe reduce the disc count to 7 or use DVD-18s on new pressings).

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
I've never seen this, but was considering a blind buy because of the Bruce Campbell and western aspects.

For $80-100, this DVD set better be perfect! No changed music, cut versions, or any of that garbage.

peggy

Stunt Coordinator
That price definitely surprised me, I guess that is what happens when a group of people get together and tell a studio they desperately want a show, the studio figures that those same people are willing to pay a lot for it.:angry:

I guess they got me because I have wanted this show for a long time so yeah I will pay it especially since I don't buy a lot of shows, only the ones I really want. I was planning on buying at least four sets of the show to give as gifts to people who have never seen the show. Now I will just buy one for myself.

Roger_S

Stunt Coordinator
I went to Amazon.com to check prices...one movie set that listed for $99.98 was being sold for about $70. So I figure that's about what Brisco will gto for. I love westerns but never saw this show for some reason. I may consider getting this anyway...but I'll definitely have to do some hard thinking about it.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
For $80-100, this DVD set better be perfect! No changed music, cut versions, or any of that garbgae.
For a hundred bucks, I better get Bruce himself to come by my house and cook dinner and do an audio commentary in person!

(Actually, Bruce is the type of cool guy I see doing just that. But a hundred bucks is still too much)

Mary_P

Second Unit
I imagine the price *is* going to be a deal-killer for a lot of folks who may not have seen the series before and were interested in checking it out because of discussions here or elsewhere.

I won't say that the price is a deal-killer for me, but it will be enough to shove it to the back burner for awhile. This show is on my "Top 10 Most Wanted" list, and I was planning on getting it immediately but will probably now wait until either a price drop or the next post-release DDD sale.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i think there were only a coupla seasons at most. plus, there are more minutes per episode than usual. imho, it just didn't hold up as well as my memory served =). a thing of the past, unfortunately. i always thought that the SF aspect of the show came later, but when i saw the pilot, i was reminded how bad that plot device became.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
YiFeng, obviously you're not a regular "Brisco" fan- otherwise you would've known that there was only ONE season of the series!!

As for the cost of the set, the high price is a real insult!! Why did Warners go thru the charade of having fans choose a cover design and the screw us with an unusually high price for a ONE-SEASON SERIES on DVD? Well, there's always Costco and Deep Discount DVD!

MattHR

Screenwriter
So they'll release it at $100 SRP, sell it to those of us willing to pay it, and then when it stops moving, cut the price to $50
That is exactly what WB will do with Brisco when they feel they have maximized its "first run" potential.

It's basically the video industry's variation on the book publishing industry's "high-priced hardcover first -- low-priced paperback later" strategy.

It's also because this is "cult" show -- with no other marketable options. The show wasn't a hit, there is no theatrical remake to tie into, it isn't shown in syndication, and features a virtually unknown cast. There is only one season -- so there's no further sales potential for the property -- unless they were to break the set into two volumes, as other studios have done.

These facts, plus the nice collection of bonus features (something they knew fans wanted -- and to help justify the higher price) make the price seem a bit more realistic. Remember: it is 28 episode-hours of content, which averages $3.37 per hour. Compare that to Seinfeld: S1&2's $5.55 per hour, or The Golden Girls: S1's $4 per hour (with no extras!) It makes Brisco seem a bit more reasonable.

This higher initial price strategy makes good business sense. I'm not saying I like it -- but I certainly understand it. And yes, I will be purchasing it upon release -- knowing/expecting I would eventually be able to obtain it cheaper -- whether through eBay, a DDD sale, or a WB price-drop.

JonathanBB

Stunt Coordinator
Quote MattHR:
"Remember: it is 28 episode-hours of content, which averages $3.37 per hour. Compare that to Seinfeld: S1&2's $5.55 per hour, or The Golden Girls: S1's $4 per hour (with no extras!) It makes Brisco seem a bit more reasonable."

Yeah, but Buena Vista isn't charging $100 dollars for the Golden Girls and Sony isn't charging $100 dollars for Seinfeld.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
It makes Brisco seem a bit more reasonable.
No it doesnt - not by a long shot. Comparing hour long TV shows to Brisco, the numbers are WAY out of balance. The A Team, Knight Rider, Seaquest - even being just a touch shorter in length are still a WAY better value (and thats before figuring in the DDD sale price).

This, on the other hand is more like Star Trek or Doctor Who - but at least Who has the excuse of being lovingly restored frame by frame.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Yeah, but Buena Vista isn't charging $100 dollars for the Golden Girls and Sony isn't charging $100 dollars for Seinfeld.
Of course they're not. But people are complaining the price for Brisco is too high. Too high compared to what? Any comparison between these shows' merits is "apples and oranges". But you can fairly compare releases by price-per-hour of entertainment.

Using that comparison, Seinfeld works out to $155, while GG is $112, for time-comparable sets.

Another way to look at is: At 28 episodes, the Brisco set works out to be about 12 movies worth of entertainment. $100/12 movies = $8.33 per "movie". To me, that's a good value.

When studio "X" releases show "Y" for price "Z", I don't compare it to other shows. I simply ask myself, "Do I enjoy it enough to pay the asking price?" If so, I find it a good value. When The X-Files was first released at $150, I didn't buy them. I enjoy the show, just not that much. However, at their current pricing, I find them a good value. I simply enjoyed other shows during the interim -- which is what many people will be doing for Brisco.

The value one finds in a release is obviously subjective. For some, $100 is too much. For others, it's a bargain -- just like any other title on the market. For me, Striptease at Walmart for $5.44 is an incredible rip-off, while others, I'm sure, find it a great deal.

(Speaking of rip-offs: I just noticed season one of Dog Whisperer is being released. It's $70 for 26 half-hour episodes -- or $5.38/hour. To me, a rip-off, but I have no interest in the show anyway. Just thought I'd throw it in as another example.) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks