What's new

The Abyss (1 Viewer)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I was about to share this on Facebook when I realized it is way too nerdy to explain why this is great news.

So I'll just say it here: This is great news!

Valaquen

Auditioning
Real Name
JD Kennedy
The Abyss on blu will be a first day buy. It's Cameron's most under-rated movie; the SE is simply fantastic. I'm hoping for a new commentary - Cameron, Harris, Biehn, etc.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
I hope that the new transfer of THE ABYSS will also be released in standard def, for those of us who don't have Blu Ray. So far, we haven't even had an anamorphic transfer of the film.

Valaquen

Auditioning
Real Name
JD Kennedy
Apparently The Abyss is not being worked on. There is a HD transfer from 2005 that is awaiting JC's approval, but otherwise, nada going on. Yet.

Ashd121

Auditioning
Real Name
Ash
Originally Posted by Jobla
I hope that the new transfer of THE ABYSS will also be released in standard def, for those of us who don't have Blu Ray. So far, we haven't even had an anamorphic transfer of the film.
Hello,

There is a new edition available in China from Excel Media (region 6 DVD9) with the following details :
ntsc extended cut, DTS 6.1, DD EX 6.1, 16:9 anamorphic widescreen
Also available is True Lies (same company), same details.
I bought these 2 titles for around $10 each. Nice picture and sound quality.

Ash

teamneedle

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack Rothbaur
this is a great site~ I love it-
I really hope some news comes out about The Abyss- I also hope that someone called Van to be part of the Blu-ray production-

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
The Abyss is very high on my most-wanted list of Blu-ray upgrades but Cameron is so sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow in putting it out, it's ridiculous. There's gotta be a good hi-def master lying around by now. I'll be retired by the time this comes out. I think he secretly owns Grindhouse Releasing, an outfit that releases one movie every five years.

teamneedle

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack Rothbaur
Its like Van said elsewhere on this site, the Master VIn was waiting for approval on was done in 2005- Cameron has said he wanted to go back and use the same process to remaster the abyss that he used on aliens-
i would guess we still have some time to wait.

Bernhard

Stunt Coordinator
Sooo, quite a bit of time has passed since the last update - any news on the Abyss Blu-ray?
I had the desire of watching this great movie recently only to be reminded that the only way for me to do this right now would be to torture my eyes with the non-anamorphic (!) DVD. No way!
Only three requests for the BD: Great Sound&Picture - Special Edition! - Under Pressure doc. Please? :)

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
The last I heard about it was a week or so ago on The Digital Bits (here - scroll down, the pertinent info is a couple paragraphs above the cover art images).

Looks like signs point to sometime within the next year, but Cameron is busy visiting the bottom of the ocean, so...

Both titles can't get here some soon enough, if you ask me.

Kenshiro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken
And in other news, this would normally go in The Rumor Mill, but it's easier to just post it here: We've been checking with our industry sources and have confirmed that 20th Century Fox is definitely planning to bring director James Cameron's The Abyss and True Lies to Blu-ray at long last. Sources tell us that the hope is to do a big promotion with the titles sometime next year. Why the wait? Cameron is a pretty busy guy these days, so these things take time. (Hey, when was the last time you tried diving to the deepest point in the ocean?) Nevertheless, rest assured that the two long-awaited films are definitely coming to Blu in the not-too-distant future.
Here's the excerpt from the Digital Bits, great news if it proves to be true. For both films, at this point I'd prefer waiting a little longer if it means Cameron will be involved in the Blu-ray.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I revisited The Abyss over the weekend after getting a strange sudden urge to watch something epic and exciting. It seems to get better with each viewing - what a phenomenal film! The writing, characters, dialogue, all top notch. Did I mention how exciting the film is? The only problem was the transfer. This film is going to benefit big-time from a hi-def upgrade. The whole time watching the film all I could think of was, "wouldn't this look great on Blu-ray?". The DVD was fine for it's time but that old disc is a dinosaur by today's standards. My hope is that Cameron will decide that the film needs a NEW, fresh transfer, not use something from 2005. I can only imagine a film like this would require a ton of work, dealing with alternate cuts, the length of the film, etc., which is what I believe is the main reason holding up a re-release.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
cineMANIAC said:
I revisited The Abyss over the weekend after getting a strange sudden urge to watch something epic and exciting. It seems to get better with each viewing - what a phenomenal film! The writing, characters, dialogue, all top notch.
Ditto to all your comments, especially if you're referring to the longer "director's cut". This film came out at a very rough period in my life and easily makes my top five favorites list. I guess in someways Cameron is my Hitchcock of today, I really enjoy most of his films. Together they make up most of my top 10-15 list of films.
Have read a lot on this needing a new transfer, but I'm still a little old school and still have a standard 36" CRT and this looks wonderful. Just as I'm ready for some HDTV equipment, the budget keeps being trashed by other higher priority items, but hopefully by the end of the year I'll be there. Sadly it sounds like this won't look very good, so will hold onto some of my older equipment.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Fox France just issued their list of forthcoming releases for 2013, and it includes provisional art for The Abyss, that I just posted in the french section. Enjoy it here !

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Stan said:
Ditto to all your comments, especially if you're referring to the longer "director's cut". This film came out at a very rough period in my life and easily makes my top five favorites list. I guess in someways Cameron is my Hitchcock of today, I really enjoy most of his films. Together they make up most of my top 10-15 list of films.
Have read a lot on this needing a new transfer, but I'm still a little old school and still have a standard 36" CRT and this looks wonderful. Just as I'm ready for some HDTV equipment, the budget keeps being trashed by other higher priority items, but hopefully by the end of the year I'll be there. Sadly it sounds like this won't look very good, so will hold onto some of my older equipment.
On an old CRT is about the only way to watch the non-anamorphic ABYSS DVD, sadly. I wish I still had one so that I could watch some of my older discs without cringing. But, alas, there's a sliver of hope that the film will finally be reissued in high-def "in the near future" although I've heard 2014 thrown in as well. The sooner, the better.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
As said above, it out in 2013 in Europe. 2014 might be the US release, but europe definetely gets it next year. The art is two posts above for those who just caught this thread.

You have several ways to "avoid" watching the old DVD with the LD master in the meantime, there is the 4/3 "full screen" director's cut on R1 DVD from Fox, and there was several HDTV airings in japan of what looked like to be the rejected 16/9 master (some people dismissed it as an upscale, but comparisons revealed it wasn't as the framing was different in many shots and there was definitive clear detail in the shots that was absent from the old master). Take a look

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
HDvision said:
As said above, it out in 2013 in Europe. 2014 might be the US release, but europe definetely gets it next year. The art is two posts above for those who just caught this thread.

You have several ways to "avoid" watching the old DVD with the LD master in the meantime, there is the 4/3 "full screen" director's cut on R1 DVD from Fox, and there was several HDTV airings in japan of what looked like to be the rejected 16/9 master (some people dismissed it as an upscale, but comparisons revealed it wasn't as the framing was different in many shots and there was definitive clear detail in the shots that was absent from the old master). Take a look
thanks for sharing the info. Any thoughts if the overseas will be locked in B? or be region free? I own the region 1 full screen and also the other version. also the australia region 4 version as well.

Jacob

Kenshiro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken
I'm sure most have given up hope at this point....but if you haven't, Cameron mentions it might happen in 2019.

From an interview with Empire magazine.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/true-lies-blu-ray-done-end-2018-says-james-cameron/

Relevant quotes:

“Man, it’s on my to-do list,” Cameron admitted. “It’s a question of time-management. True Lies and The Abyss both have Blu-ray transfers that are complete for my review. The problem is the next 14 hours when I have to go back and trim the color and get each one perfect. That’s 28 hours. I don’t have 28 hours.” He added that he’s hoping to take a look at them before 2019 arrives: “I’ve put it on my list to try to get it done before the end of the year.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks