What's new

THE ABYSS anamorphic release? (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I read Bill's anamorphic guide when it was originally "published." Perhaps you would care to cut and paste the pertinent parts that you feel I need a refresher on (especially given that it's my recollection that that piece deals exclusively with anamorphic issues in connection with telecine for DVD, rather than what's at issue here, which is broadcasting-specific)?

And the "provincial" comment wasn't directed at you (but if the shoe fits, etc.)

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Paul, UK digital TV broadcasts are "anamorphic" in the way that Monsieur Hunt describes it as relating to DVD. There's no need to delve any further. That's what we've been repeatedly trying to get across, which leads to my next point...

We've gotten a little excited because The Abyss - which is only available on "non-anamorphic" DVD - has been broadcast in "anamorphic" on TV, and in the original theatrical ratio to boot.

That's pretty much it, dude. If you still find fault with that, keeping in mind the Bits' article and its usage of the term "anamorphic" (PURELY in the sense of video transfer and not the shooting format), then it's best I leave it there. ;)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Wonderful. But what you seem to be missing is that, although I acknowledge Dave's having mentioned there being precedent for anamorphic DVD release on the tails of an anamorphic U.K. broadcast, ONE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE OTHER. An engineer flipping a switch in some U.K. television broadcasting studio to squeeze their transmission has nothing to do with anamorphic DVD telecine done in a mastering house here in Hollywood (or wherever). I understand your point about the processes being analogous, but IMO the more important point is that those processes are completely discrete. It's almost as though you're intimating that your anamorphic broadcast is sourced from an anamorphic DVD when that is of course not the case and I think you know that.

And if you think that a U.K. anamorphic broadcast is somehow a stronger bellweather of when Abyss will hit anamorphic DVD (and BD) than when Jim makes the time to supervise the transfer (which he'll insist upon) while shooting Avatar, I'd disagree.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i'm still not sure i understand whats going on
with the anamorphic tv broadcast thing.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor

I think the inference is that Channel 4 TV is in possession of a 16:9 enhanced master tape of The Abyss, and all Fox UK needs to do is borrow it to author a DVD in the proper aspect ratio. It's happened before - I believe Universal's UK release of King Kong used a transfer made by BBCtv.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
It's not my understanding that the master/source for a DVD transfer--say, a D4 digital tape--is 16x9 enhanced. The "squeeze" is applied in the process of creating the master used for DVD production.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks