What's new

THE ABYSS anamorphic release? (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Frank M

Stunt Coordinator
A member of a German forum wrote an E-Mail to DVD-Producer Van Ling a week ago. This is his respond:

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
I don't see how one of the best sci-fi movies out there could go so long without a new anamorphic transfer. Hopefully this will get done very soon. :)

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau

He's too busy producing documentaries about finding Jesus' lost tomb. :rolleyes

gushin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gustavo Hinojosa
Here's a blurb from thedigitalbits.com:
"Fox and MGM are also re-releasing a number of catalog sci-fi and action DVD's on 6/5 with new lenticular covers (SRP $14.98 each), including Alien, Aliens, Alien vs. Predator, The Abyss: Director's Cut, I, Robot, Predator, RoboCop and Independence Day. Also coming from the studios are 2-disc SE re-releases in new "SteelBook" metal covers (SRP $22.98 each), including Cast Away, The Day After Tomorrow, Die Hard, Fight Club, Hannibal, Man on Fire, Platoon, The Omen and X2: X-Men United."

Is there any hope this may be anamorphic?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well i suppose but he did go back and recut the film and add the new scenes into the movie himself.
they are both a dir cut.
one is an extended cut that was what the film was suppose to be in the first place.

doesnt really matter anyway.
the long cut is the one that will continue to be on dvd.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
That's poppycock. Cameron despises the theatrical cut, it is by no means a directors cut.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Oh boy, ok here we go again. There is no Director's Cut, they are both Director's Cut. The theatrical release is called The Abyss and the thing released later is called The Abyss: Special Edition. James Cameron doesn't hate the original version and it absolutely has a place on DVD/... . He acknowledges it and there are many people who can't stand the "soap-opera" and "overacting" aspects of the Special Edition.

The Abyss :star::star::star::star:
The Abyss: Special Edition :star::star::star:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I misspoke (and it made someone resort to using the word 'poppycock') but I meant that the theatrical cut is a version that Cameron approved. Fox didn't force him to make changes to the movie for the theater.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
they only told him to make it shorter.. like 2 hours and 20 minutes.. not 2 hours and 51 minutes.

Jacob

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
so... all cockypops aside- can anyone officially confirm or deny a possible anamorphic transfer on the upcoming re-release of The Abyss?

Additionally- is there any resource that lists all of the non-anamorphic dvd releases? I suppose I could just look through all of my discs, but with a couple thousand, that chore could take a while and wouldn't necessarily be accurate.

Thanks!

Jimmy

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

I can't confirm or deny anything. But my gut tells me that if The Abyss ever gets an anamorphic release, you won't really need to put a lot of effort into tracking down that information.

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator

Yes, but this is scheduled to be re-released in under a month and there is no confirmation one way or the other. Is this simply a repackaging? According to Amazon, the aspect ratio for this release is 1.33:1. Is it only being re-released as this edited version? It seems as though after the second or third reissue, we'd get a proper anamorphic transfer... apparently just wishful thinking.

Jimmy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks