What's new

THE ABYSS anamorphic release? (MERGED THREAD) (2 Viewers)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I think the same release has just been repackaged about a hundred times. I think the packaging has always said "animorphic" but it's been mis-labled.

When and if it's ever available, I'll be picking it up... again.

Ric

Fabien Renelli

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fabien Renelli
Now that Cameron had his new anamorphic TITANIC DVD out, maybe he's going to work on the ABYSS an TRUE LIES collector sets...

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Despite some mislabeled packaging, The Abyss has never been released with an anamorphic transfer. There were several prior threads about this, but they got trashed due to a forum glitch.

M.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
the menus are enhanced for widescreen, but the movie is not. I heard rumors that one is being worked on.

JACOB

Frank M

Stunt Coordinator
Fox will release a new edition of "The Abyss" this year in Germany. It's confirmed in a trailer for the new Cinema Premium series. Because there's not mention of an new anamorphic transfer, I sent an e-mail to DVD Producer Van Ling.

Here is his answer from six weeks ago (Dec. 7th):

I believe you will get your wish. My understanding is that the primary reason that Fox is doing this new release is specifically to include a new, director-approved anamorphic transfer. The transfer is currently being reviewed by Jim Cameron's folks at Lightstorm Entertainment.

Best regards,
Van

Richard Matich

Stunt Coordinator
I also was wondering this. Had no idea of the mislabeling. I hope the above rumors are true and this film is released the way it should be. Thanks to all who helped to answer this.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
glad to see there are fans for this movie.. Its my all time favorite.

JACOB

BillBR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill. :)
Hi there!
If anyone could help me out...I love The Abyss, and have the SE DVD release from 2000. Unfortunately the transfer is non-anamorphic. Do any of the new editions of the disc have an anamorphic transfer? Is it possible to upgrade to a disc that has an anamorphic transfer and all the same content/extras? Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Bill

P.S. I also have the exact same question for Carpenter's The Thing.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
in short, there are none anywhere, though I swear once I saw on a HK or S. Korean site an ABYSS cover with a "16:9 Anamorphic" sticker on the front.

A second re-issue of THE THING has come out as an SE and is Anamorphic a year ago

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
It's funny-- I didn't really care about anamorphic DVDs as I have a 4x3 CRT set. But I'm getting a 16x9 LCD set in a few weeks and all of a sudden, I realize just how many titles are straight letterbox. While GROSSE POINTE BLANK, MIMIC and BEATUTIFUL GIRLS annoy me, it's movies like THE ABYSS and MOUNTAINS OF THE MOON which are particularly vexing. I just don't get it after all this time. And if HD-DVD and Blu-Ray doesn't catch on, I have a feeling it's gonna take a LONG time for some of these catalog titles to be reissued on any format.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Other than THE ABYSS, hasn't Fox reissued most of their early high-profile non-anamorphic titles with new anamorphic transfers? The SD DVD format's still got a lot of life left in it, so I suspect Fox will eventually get around to THE ABYSS.

BillBR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill. :)
Thanks folks. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Oh, and I cannot believe that Criterion's Brazil is non-anamorphic. Some great movies deserve better treatment, that's for sure...

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Without a doubt, there are tons of great movies on DVD suffering from 4:3 encoded transfers.

It really is sad and it's also sad that I bought them, but for some there will be no better SD release and the HD release path is likely to be 'greatest hits' driven (similar to LD).

On the bright side, there contines to several 16x9 upgrades coming out on DVD (three just today, for example).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks