What's new

The 5th Element 2 disc november 3 (1 Viewer)

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Way cool. Seems like I've subconsciously been holding off a purchase in hope of something better. I have a feeling this will be the version too own. :)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Ditto on that. My _only_ hesitation in planning to get this region 2 release is the question of whether this may mean that region 1 will also get it.

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Since The Fifth Element is released by different distributors in the US and the UK I highly doubt it.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Maybe my memory's faulty, but when the movie was first released on DVD, wasn't it declared that it was *never* going to be released in anything but a bare bones version?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Andrew,

I don't recall "never", but certainly something to that extent was said by the director.

BTW, from its release on, the R1 DVD was considered the top-demo DVD for a very long time, I think for more than two years.

Cees

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I agree - excellent technical quality, but it's a movie I've never warmed to. Reasons include:

(1) Bruce Willis
(2) that squeaky-voiced black guy
(3) Bruce Willis
(4) some plot flaws about the size of the Grand Canyon
(5) Bruce Willis

Actually, I probably will pick up the SE, if only for those monsters with the amazing deep voices.

John DrakeLaw

Stunt Coordinator
Aaaahhh, the diva. Brilliant voice. A scene I regularly used as a demo. Superb choreography, cutting betwen Leelu's fight with the 'deep voices' and the diva's operatic performance.

Jim Blackie

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, veddy veddy bad overall, I agree. But that opening sequence... thew archeologists, the landing-- you gotta love it!

Ushabye

Projectionist
Real Name
Paul
Luc Besson produces huge hardcover coffe-table books covering the conception and making of each of his films. This is the main reason he wont put much, if any, in the way of suplementals on his DVDs and wont do commentaries. The books are very impressive but as far as I know have only been released in French.

The Fifth Element, by its nature, is a wealth of design and conception, so producing a better DVD with some suplemental material is not too much a suprise considering his stance up to now.

Chris_Marin

Stunt Coordinator
Pathe have announced that they are releasing the 2-disc special edition of The Fifith Element. The movie will boast DTS audio and an excellent collection of extra features including:

Special Effects audio commentary with Mark Stetson, Karen E. Goulekas, Bill Neil and Ron Gress
Making of Documentary - Discovering the Fifth Element
Special Effects Featurette - Imagining the Fifth Element
The Art of the Fifth Element with Jean-Claude Mezieres Featurette
An Audience with Diva Plavalaguna Featurette
Elements of Style - Jean-Paul Gaultier Featurette
Trailers & TV Spots
Launching the Fifth Element – the Cannes Opening Night Party
Storyboard and Production Notes
The 6th Element Essay

News story here.

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Oooh nice, I'll have me some of that, ta! :)

The ZF-1. It's light. Handle's adjustable for easy carrying; good for righties and lefties. Breaks down into 4 parts, undetectable by x-ray; ideal for quick, discreet interventions. A word on firepower. Three thousand round clip with bursts of 3 to 300. With the Replay button it's even easier. One shot, and Replay sends every following shot to the same location. And to finish the job, all the Zorg oldies but goldies. Rocket launcher. Arrow launcher, with explodin' and poisonous gas heads. Very practical. Our famous net launcher. The ALWAYS efficient flame-thrower. My favorite. And for the Grand Finale, the all new Ice Cube System!

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Mine arrived recently. A word on packaging. Outer slipcase is NOT MEANT TO BE OPENED FROM THE TOP OR BOTTOM, so don't force it! The outer slipcase splits across the center right through the taxi cab checker squares -- the rendering above does NOT show this, you'll just have to trust me on that. In other words, pull the top 50% of the box up and that top half slides off from the checkers on up, revealing...

...another sort of thin slipcase inside (mostly just there for aesthetic effect; it has another poster image on it) from which you can pull the Amaray case (which is clear plastic, regular single-width double, and whose cover looks basically the same as the video poster...I'd expected they'd have used a theatrical poster or something new, but, nope).

I'd also caution that the plastic shrinkwrap may also be affixed to the top and bottom of the package due to some glue leakage or something - in any case be extremely careful when removing the plastic wrap or you may take some of the package off with it.

Haven't watched it yet, but I will sometime. Been a long time coming. Had almost bought the German version until I heard of this one coming. I'll mostly be interested in whether the second disc, the extras, is a DVD-9 or a DVD-5.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks