What's new

The 40 Year Old Virgin with Steve Carell (1 Viewer)

John-Paul

Grip
I saw the trailer before both "Bewitched" (:star: :star: 1/2) and "Mr and Mrs. Smith" ( :star: ) and, I have to say, it's not the sort of movie I would normally see (not that "Bewitched" or "M&M Smith" are either) but I might check it out on DVD when it comes out. Elizabeth Banks is also in Michael Showalter's "The Baxter", a movie I actually want to see!

Berk

Stunt Coordinator
I know of a certain 40 something female virgin who is likely sweating it over the release of this film as a comedy. Her reasons for virginity are much less entertaining, I assure you.

Berk

Stunt Coordinator
Not to play amateur psychologist…

Her mother married her father due to social expectations and gave up college and a career as a result. The mother raised the kids under a strict belief that relationships only serve to drain you of your opportunities and resources. Both kids are now in the mid to upper forties and have never even considered marriage, though the brother did lose his virginity in his 30s. I confirmed with the out-of-state brother that the mom did scare them both out of getting emotionally or physically close to anyone.

I "dated" the gal for a short period of time and got to know her pretty well. She refused to give anything to anyone, including her virginity, under the belief that if the person really cared they'd hang around ("people will use you" - mother). The problem was she never established how long was long enough.

My impression was that her virginity was such a large part of her identity to give it up would be destructive to her sense of self. On a side note, I also think that after 40 some years of having no sex a person would kind of get used to it. She sure did.

Anyway, she's happy and now I'm happy.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
I haven't heard much about the film, but I enjoyed the Paul Rudd bit on the daily show.

"Steve signed this book for you."

"It's not even his book!"

"I think he spelt your name wrong too."

"J o h n S t u a r t, I worked with the guy for what? 4 years?"

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just watched this film over the weekend.

Funniest movie I have seen all year. Very Cute!
Far better than Wedding Crashers.

Do yourself a favor and get out to see this movie!

Al_S

Second Unit
I saw this movie over the weekend and thought it sucked. I laughed maybe 2 times during the whole thing. If you're 14 years old you may like this movie's humor. The Wedding Crashers was a way better movie.

Joe Reinwald

Stunt Coordinator
I put this and Crashers in the same boat--both laugh out loud movies that my wife hated. Oh well. The only negative comment I have about Virgin was the language--not that I wasn't expecting it with an R rating, but certain words (that I clearly cannot type here) I just got tired of hearing over and over again.

I also saw somewhere in the tube where he gets waxed
was really done. Talk about dedication!

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator
When I left the theater from this film, I was very happy. It seemed to me to be the perfect balance of comedy and character. I ended up seeing it a second time and now think it might be one of the best films of the year (the only ones I enjoyed more being "Sin City" and "Kung Fu Hustle"). A few days later I tagged along with a friend to see "Wedding Crashers" and hated it. "Wedding Crashers," from where I sit, is the antithesis to "Virgin."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks