What's new

The 2011 American Idol #10 HTF TOP TEN CHALLENGE: All details here.... (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Read the spoiler so top 10 01. James 02. Jacob 03. Pia 04. Naima 05. Scotty 06. Casey 07. Haley 08. Lauren 09. Paul 10. Thia and if we have to do 11 then Stefano is 11

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
01. James
02. Scotty
03. Jacob
04. Casey
05. Lauren
06. Naima
07. Thia
08. Pia
09. Haley
10. Stefano
11. Smiley face White Teeth

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Robert, I've just finished watching the results show; what a crazy week!

Actually, I'd already "predicted" this, although I had thought it unlikely that the save would be used so early, and indeed Casey thought the exact same thing):-

Originally Posted by Yee-Ming

As an aside, I think it unlikely that the save will be used so early, since the judges will want to 'save' the save for use closer to the Top 5, in case one of the favourites has a really bad week. However, if it is in fact used this week, we'll still have a Final 11, but if past years are anything to go by, two will be eliminated the following week, creating a Final 9 with no Final 10 week in between. If this really does happen, I then propose that we therefore predict a Top 10 at Final 11 stage, with one unpicked contestant. This would probably be more consistent with past years where we picked Top 10 at Final 12, rather than truncate the competition by picking only a Top 9 out of the Final 9.

So to answer your question, Choice #3 would be my preferred option IMHO -- it is closest to our previous format of choosing 10 from 12, and next week's eliminated contestants are scored at 10.5 unless they clearly indicate someone was bottom (i.e. 11) and the other was second-bottom (10). In the event the overwhelming consensus is, however, for Choice #1, i.e predict Top 11, no matter, I can fill in any missing #11s by process of elimination. I will therefore start recording entries after I post this.

For the record, my own entries:-

01. James

02. Jacob

03. Pia

04. Scotty

05. Lauren

06. Casey

07. Paul

08. Thia

09. Naima

10. Stefano

And it's nice to see our all-time champion Dheiner back for another round!

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Here are my entries:

01. Jacob
02. Casey
03. Scotty
04. James
05. Pia
06. Lauren
07. Paul
08. Naima
09. Thia
10. Haley
11. Stefano

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Nicely done, Yee Ming!

I had also thought in previous years, "What happens if the 'save' is used by the judges the week that the TOP TEN was to be established and the worst case scenario (or best case in terms of entertainment value) took place?" I think that we should definitely go with the TOP TEN list and drop #11. At first I thought that it wouldn't make any difference but now I realize it would make a tremendous difference so just don't count the 11th entry on each list. Here's an example of where it would change scores significantly. Suppose I included Stefano as pick #11 and he comes in, say, third in the contest. That would give me a score of 8 for Stefano (11-3) whereas if he wasn't counted then my score would be 8 points better because Stephano wouldn't be included in the scoring. A member e-mailed me asking what's the difference if we use an 11th contestant or not. That's the difference.

So let's stay with the TOP TEN submissions and, as you said, accept lists of 11 contestants as valid by just ignoring the 11th position.

As an aside, Casey's reaction to all this was so weird (some might say "Creepy") that I almost thought that it was being staged that way. And the whole thing was made even stranger because they featured a portion of the program this week showing how some of the contestants loved professional wrestling. "It's not for real, guys!" The juxtaposition of Casey's reaction and facial expressions brought back visions of George "The Animal" Steele glaring out at the crowd while chewing on some of the padding at the corner of the ring. (Anyone else old enough to remember George "The Animal" Steele? Hanson Alert: Casey and George might make a great separated at birth photo op if you could find the right poses!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm in!

01. Pia
02. Jacob
03. Lauren
04. James
05. Casey
06. Paul
07. Scotty
08. Thea
09. Naima
10. Haley
(11. Stefano)

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I'm in, too!

01. James

02. Pia

03. Casey

04. Lauren

05. Scotty

06. Jacob

07. Naima

08. Paul

09. Stefano

10. Haley

NolanJ

Second Unit
OK, not sure if I needed to post this again or not, but here it is :)

01. Scotty
02. Lauren
03. James
04. Jacob
05. Pia
06. Casey
07. Paul
08. Thia
09. Haley
10. Naima

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Thank you Robert!

We're up to twelve entries already, with two more interested participants yet to submit their predictions. At this rate, we should match last year's 20 or so. But keep them coming! Should I reiterate that Adam will be putting together a prize for the winner?

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Yes, what appears to be a very simple "contest" on the surface actually has quite a bit of strategy involved for those who want to do their homework (monitoring sites like dialidol or whatever it's called. And even then things can be quite unpredictable. I have found in the past that I do best when I just go with my first instincts and submit a list of ten based on that. Over analyzing this contest doesn't always pay dividends.

Like I said, the beauty of this contest is its apparent simplicity. Easy to enter, but hard to nail it 100%. Hopefully, next season we will be able to start the competition at the point where there are 12 contestants left and we submit TOP TEN lists (like last year.)

[COLOR= #ff0000]And regarding the prize package for the winner: Each season [/COLOR][COLOR= #008000]Adam Gregorich[/COLOR][COLOR= #ff0000] (one of the owners of the HTF) puts together a package of DVDs (including Blu-rays) based on what the studios send him. We don't announce what the prize will consist of because we always like to wait until we get near the end of American Idol (probably around Memorial Day). That way we try to get some current DVD titles as well as some classic titles. It doesn't cost anything to enter and staff members and their "families" aren't eligible for the prize - other than bragging rights for being the current American Idol HTF Challenge winner. Unless I'm mistaken [/COLOR][COLOR= #008000]Aaron Silverman's wife Lucy [/COLOR][COLOR= #ff0000]won the title last year. She supposedly will be back to defend her title as will [/COLOR][COLOR= #008000]Dheiner (John Dhein)[/COLOR][COLOR= #ff0000] who holds the record score of 9 points. Once you start playing this game you begin to realize how impressive that score is. And it probably will last a long, long time.[/COLOR]

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
^^^ judging from my past record of complete suckage - I think it's safe to say Dheiner's record is safe from me.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
01. James 02. Pia 03. Scotty 04. Jacob 05. Lauren 06. Paul 07. Thia 08. Casey 09. Naima 10. Haley

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Here's my list. I'll try to get Lucy to come up with a defense strategy before the deadline. :)

01. James 02. Jacob 03. Lauren 04. Pia 05. Scotty 06. Casey 07. Haley 08. Paul 09. Naima 10. Stefano

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Participants (as at March 30, 00:50 GMT+8 / EDT+12):-

Yee Ming (entry submitted)

RAF (entry submitted)
NYSandy (entry submitted)

Carl Miller (entry submitted)

Elizabeth S

gregstaten

TonyD (entry submitted)

Phil Taylor (entry submitted)

NolanJ (entry submitted)

Patrick Sun (entry submitted)

Dheiner (entry submitted)

Jeffrey_H (entry submitted)

Russel G (entry submitted)
pitchman (entry submitted)

Bryan X (entry submitted)

Aaron Silverman (entry submitted)

Calling Elizabeth and Greg, entries please!

Sixteen participants with fourteen entries already submitted, and time is running short people! Just over one day left! And Aaron, will the defending champion be fighting to retain her crown?

As an aside, I had sort-of forgotten that I'll be away on vacation the next 11 days or so, spanning two weeks of shows/eliminations. Ironically, that means the leaderboard in our challenge will get updated earlier, since I can't watch the show at all till I get back home to my DVR anyway, so I might as well log on and check the results online ASAP and update this thread straightaway.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman

Actually there are only 6 hours left! I'll try to get a list from Lucy when I get home from work.

Hang on a bit, isn't AI's performance show now on Wednesdays (US time), rather than Tuesdays as it was the past 9 years? Or was that only the earlier rounds?

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor

Hang on a bit, isn't AI's performance show now on Wednesdays (US time), rather than Tuesdays as it was the past 9 years? Or was that only the earlier rounds?

Yes - Wednesdays this year ... confirmed with Dish guide. Still Wednesday and Thursday.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Originally Posted by Phil Taylor

Yes - Wednesdays this year ... confirmed with Dish guide. Still Wednesday and Thursday.

Thanks Phil. So unless I've gotten it completely wrong, it's now 2:20 Wed morning here, which means it's only 2:20pm EDT on Tuesday March 29, and therefore just under 30 hours before the next AI show, yes?

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor

Thanks Phil. So unless I've gotten it completely wrong, it's now 2:20 Wed morning here, which means it's only 2:20pm EDT on Tuesday March 29, and therefore just under 30 hours before the next AI show, yes?

Approximately ... yes.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Sorry so late!

1. James

2. Pia

3. Jacob

4. Lauren

5. Scotty

6. Casey

7. Naima

8. Paul

9. Thia

10. Stefano

11. Haley

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks