1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

THD ratings

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Mundt, Mar 23, 2003.

1. Mike Mundt

Mike Mundt Well-Known Member

Ok, i understand common tests are done to reciever to figure out the harmonic distortion they produce.

i know they commonly use one test of 8 ohms 20Hz-20kHz to figure out the recievers THD. Then they also do another test at 1kHz 8 ohms to figure out another THD level.

my question is im looking at the Onkyo TX-NR900 and they give you the information like this
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    THD (Rated Power) 0.08 % (all channels)
    Damping Factor (1 kHz, 8 ohm) 60
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Is the 0.08% rating a 8 ohms 20Hz-20kHz test?
    What does Damping Factor mean?
    And what is 60 measured?

2. Mike Mundt

Mike Mundt Well-Known Member

*And how is 60 measured?

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Well-Known Member

• If the Onkyo's harmonic-distortion figures are given as stated in your post then it appears likely the measurement was taken at 1 kHz (which results in a lower figure). The preferred measurement stat would be the harmonic distortion measured across the entire audio bandwidth of 20 Hz to 20 kHz with all channels driven.

• Damping factor is the value of the output impedance at a particular frequency divided into eight. That measures the amplifier’s ability to deliver a flat frequency to the load. Also, according to orthodoxy, the higher the damping factor the swifter the amplifier's "recovery" from a transient peak.

This is debatable, however. McIntosh, for example, has long scoffed at the notion that really high damping factors improve transient response (the damping-factor numbers for its transistor amplifiers are more like those of tube amps). My psychological makeup results in my preferring higher damping-factor numbers, though I can't make a case for it. Perhaps somebody else here can.