What's new

Thats it I have to quit smoking (1 Viewer)

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve

I agree completely. (I emphasized the "for yourself" because even though quitting will definitely be good for your family, you have to really want to do it yourself if it's going to stick.)

I quit about 16 years ago. I was smoking 3 packs a day and decided I had had enough. I used the nicotine patches and just took it one day at a time. It was tough but worth it.

Good luck.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Some people have very bad reactions to Chantix, others have no problems at all using it. I know 2 people who quit using it.

I quit using Nicoderm. There must be a emotion chip in that patch or something because I had the worst week at work I can remember and wasnt tempted to smoke at all.

Good luck.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I know a couple people who got seriously depressed. I got a little bit of that, not really depression but there was a definite loss of enjoyment for things that I enjoy (good food, movies, sports, etc). Kind of like a permanent cloud on a sunny day type thing. I was pretty glad to stop the Chantix, but the help it gave was worth it.

As to the wacky dreams, I only experienced that a few times in the first days after quitting. For three days straight I dreamed about women with strawberry plants tattooed on their bodies. I'm not very partial to tattooed women or strawberries, so I have no idea where the hell that came from. :crazy:

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt

I quit cold turkey about 10 years ago. I was fortunate in that my body was telling me in no uncertain terms that I shouldn't smoke (I developed a nasty morning smoker's hack). Quitting cold turkey sucked, but it did have its advantages. First, it was free. Also, it told me a lot about myself, specifically, I was the master of my mind and body, not the other way around. Sometimes that can be a useful thing to know first hand.

However you go about it, good luck. It's an important step.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I wish. But for full clarification, the dreams were quite benign in nature. Just some weird psychedelic stuff. If anything more was coming, I'm afraid I woke up before it happened.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

The smoker's hack is what did it for me. 25 years, sometimes up to 2 packs a day, and I never had a cough. Not even a tickle. Sometime last year it appeared, and it didn't take long for me to want to finally quit. Luckily I was down to less than a pack a day at the end,

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Never had any use for anything else, at least in the last 20 years or so. ;) But one of the main side-effects listed for Chantix are changes in dream pattern and intensity. I have a friend who's dad had really freaky dreams for the whole time he was on it. Then again, knowing him, he was probably more succeptible for just the reason you posted. :D

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Isn't it always like that? Or is it just me? I always wake up before the good stuff. :angry:.

--
H

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, me too. I guess as we got older we switched from "Damn!! I can't believe this is really happening!!" to "Damn, I know this isn't really happening." and thus the spell is broken. :frowning:

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
I quit smoking (for the 3rd time) 13 months ago. At the time I had smoked a pack a day for 15 years, so I had some addiction to nicotine. I used Nicorette gum for 3 months, then transitioned to regular chewing gum.

I did have some weight gain, mostly due to nightime snacking. That's still a problem, but it's cheaper than smoking these days.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I would definitely suggest exercise if youre trying to quit to help with that.

Last time I quit I also busted my ass in the gym and ended up loosing about 15 pounds.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I started smoking in the mid70s....as a child of about 11 or 12, butts we'd find on the side of the road. Man, those were the days. It was fun to smoke. I have video of me smoking in the late 80s and can remember those days. Hell, everybody smoked!

When I first started doing morning radio in the early 90s I'd chain smoke for 3 and a half hours...while drinking what I'd call "coffee bombs" (strong, with enormous amounts of cream and sugar). The guy that cleaned up the studio was wiping the windows one morning in 92 (I believe) while I was doing my show. He showed me his rag and said, "look at that..." It was brown. I said "is that my smoke?" He nodded. I said "..and my lungs look like that?" He nodded again. I slowed way down on smoking after that. Then I got a soar throat one day and it really hurt to smoke. I quit cold turkey that day. I kept the last pack I ever bought (cheapass crap...might as well be weeds) in a bowl and told myself if I was going to restart I'd have to smoking those nasty stale ones. That works pretty well. Just don't buy any. Luckily, everybody in my immediate family has quit smoking.

Best thing about this is how much better everything smells and food tastes better too. Plus I stopped many many years ago with the horrible feeling I'd get waking up in the morning. Blah! Now, the weight problem come up after this and can be just as bad on your health.

Anyway, good luck to everybody who is trying to quit. Just remember, you have to really want to quit. It took my brother-in-law's dad dying of lung cancer to stop his son from smoking. :frowning:

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
the chantix is Just awesome. A spend alot of my work day driving to job sites and in that time I would chain smoke the whole way there. Yesterday I drove to a Job site* and only smoked 2 butts the whole day. Today I was in the shop Building frames and had only 2 in an 8 hour day. Last week I would have had almost 3/4 of a pack.

CHATIX ROCKS.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
I wonder what will be the next target of the state(s) once the tobacco taxes cease to roll into the general fund? No state will ever deem it necessary to cut any type of program that those taxes support. I'm guessing beer.....or some/all type of demon rum.

Mort

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Being that my wife is in fairly poor health I've spent many a day and nights sitting in ER rooms. Since most of the rooms/bays are designed for 2 patients there is just a curtain separating one patient from another. I've sat there one night and heard the doctor come into the next bay and give the patient results of having terminal lung cancer.

That has to be a bombshell on a person.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks