Grip
Real Name
George
Originally Posted by GMpasqua

"Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines"

"Hello, Dolly"

"Cleopatra"

"It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World"

These films should be demonsrtation quality on blu-ray - their 70MM presentations were in the theater

I second "The Great Escape"

All of the above, please!

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Does Fox handle the upcoming "Platoon" release or does MGM handle the transfer? Still a little fuzzy on their agreement.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by Rick Thompson

It would also be nice to see the original -- MUCH better -- "The Taking of Pelham One Two Three" released on Blu-ray (or at least anamorphic DVD). It's probably the most "New York" film ever released, and deserves to be treated like the classic it is.

HDNet Movies has been show that lately and the print looks great. Very gritty looking with nice healthy grain.

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
CLEOPATRA Blu Ray....That would be awesome!!!!!!!! So many friends keep asking me why that has not been released on Blu ray after seeing the restored 70mm version at the Walter Reade at Lincoln Center last year.

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
CLEOPATRA Blu Ray....That would be awesome!!!!!!!! So many friends keep asking me why that has not been released on Blu ray after seeing the restored 70mm version at the Walter Reade at Lincoln Center last year.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I just saw CLEOPATRA in 70mm last Saturday at the Egyptian in Hollywood. A BluRay presentation should be spectacular. Say what you want about the movie itself -- incredibly, given the money wasted in false starts, production delays and cut footage -- the money is on the screen. It's staggering to watch (even if it leaves you staggering out ot the theatre).

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by Rob_Ray

I just saw CLEOPATRA in 70mm last Saturday at the Egyptian in Hollywood. A BluRay presentation should be spectacular. Say what you want about the movie itself -- incredibly, given the money wasted in false starts, production delays and cut footage -- the money is on the screen. It's staggering to watch (even if it leaves you staggering out ot the theatre).
I agree. In spite of all the wasted money and controversy they actually in the end came up with a pretty good movie, I think, and one well worth a blu-ray.

Can you tell us about the PQ of the 70mm print? Did it look restored? How were the colors? Was there much in the way of dust, dirt, scratches or white spots?

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Originally Posted by benbess

I agree. In spite of all the wasted money and controversy they actually in the end came up with a pretty good movie, I think, and one well worth a blu-ray.

Can you tell us about the PQ of the 70mm print? Did it look restored? How were the colors? Was there much in the way of dust, dirt, scratches or white spots?

Yes, this was struck from the restoration that Fox did a few years ago. (I've also seen the restored prints of Star!, Hello Dolly and The Sound of Music which look equally impressive).

The print was virtually flawless, with deep, rich, saturated colors, no dirt or scratches and only enough white spots to let you know you were watching film and not video. The first hour or so, the film was just a bit too dark and the colors too saturated so that, for example, there was no detail whatsoever in Cleopatra's dark hair. It was just a mass of black. At first I thought it was the print, but after awhile things slowly brightened up a bit (and not suddenly at a reel change or anything like that) so that I think perhaps the projection wasn't bright enough at first and corrective steps may have been taken. The sound was superb and sounded like true Todd-AO with directionalized dialogue spread all across the front channels. I was very impressed.

But like GWTW, the first half is superior to the second and like GWTW, things get very choppy and truncated in the final hour.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by Rob_Ray

Yes, this was struck from the restoration that Fox did a few years ago. (I've also seen the restored prints of Star!, Hello Dolly and The Sound of Music which look equally impressive).

The print was virtually flawless, with deep, rich, saturated colors, no dirt or scratches and only enough white spots to let you know you were watching film and not video. The first hour or so, the film was just a bit too dark and the colors too saturated so that, for example, there was no detail whatsoever in Cleopatra's dark hair. It was just a mass of black. At first I thought it was the print, but after awhile things slowly brightened up a bit (and not suddenly at a reel change or anything like that) so that I think perhaps the projection wasn't bright enough at first and corrective steps may have been taken. The sound was superb and sounded like true Todd-AO with directionalized dialogue spread all across the front channels. I was very impressed.

But like GWTW, the first half is superior to the second and like GWTW, things get very choppy and truncated in the final hour.

Rob Ray: Thanks for this report. Sounds like it would make a fine blu-ray....

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by Paul_Scott

Last year I had heard that The Great Escape was likely for this Memorial Day, but it's not looking good. We're getting a load of westerns, but has anyone announced any war themed classics for late May?

Check the new releases from Warner Archives - a fair batch of war flicks. Not Blu-ray, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks