What's new

TGG: Ripcord Seasons 1 & 2 (1 Viewer)

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Regulus said:
The Pictures of the Skydivers are similiar, but the backgrounds are differant. I'm just glad I'm getting this "Grail" of a TV Series. :dancing-banana-04: :biggrin:
Yes, but they clearly "swiped" the artwork and poses.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Just got a notice from "The Big River" that my sets have been shipped! :dancing-banana-04: Unfortunately, they are being shipped to my Sister's House, so I'll have to wait until August 19 before I get them. :laugh:

JeffT.

Screenwriter
Our local Amazon.ca (Canada) online distributor still hasn't listed this item (or items) as yet!Is this a U.S. only distribution this time around?I really wanted it and at a good price like the SEA HUNT (Syndicated 1958-61) releases.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFfC5m8a31cThe RIPCORD (Syndicated 1961-63) tv series main opening title is an epic in itself!Jeff T.

Cowboy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Can anyone comment on the video quality?I may get this as a blind buy.Sea Hunt was
a blind buy and I like the black and white era on dvd.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Potentially bad news. I got my S1 set today and unless the episodes originally had shorter running times than usual, these are not uncut prints. The first 3 episodes came in at around 22 minutes each (give or take a bit). I haven't gone through any more than that so maybe it's an early anomaly. On the plus side, the prints do look nice and I'm loving the typical ZIV outdoor shooting.

Gary "more reports if I'm able to watch additional episodes this weekend" O.

Cowboy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Gary OS said:
Potentially bad news. I got my S1 set today and unless the episodes originally had shorter running times than usual, these are not uncut prints. The first 3 episodes came in at around 22 minutes each (give or take a bit). I haven't gone through any more than that so maybe it's an early anomaly. On the plus side, the prints do look nice and I'm loving the typical ZIV outdoor shooting.

Gary "more reports if I'm able to watch additional episodes this weekend" O.
It's too bad that used cut prints,I was going to get this as a blind buy.

JeffT.

Screenwriter
Thank you for the much appreciated assessment!It may well prove to be some sort of providence that this DVD collection wasn't made available in my area for I have no interest in edited prints.What a disappointment as I was looking forward to rediscovering this early 1960s tv series once again.Already this discussion thread is dying from (justified) disinterest.Kindly keep us informed of the remainder of the episodes pertaining to their running times.Jeff T.

maskedmala

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Maurice
My take on that is this one: Better to have really nice prints, in edited format, of this vintage TV series (or for that matter any vintage TV series) than bad bootleg prints or no print at all. A reminder that these vintage TV series aren't Blockbusters sellers.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
While edited prints is very dissapointing I look at this release this way:

Pros:
1.) Small, mostly forgotten show that is most likely not going to see any other release and is still amazing that it got a release.
2.) The price is great.
3.) The Print quality is good.

Cons:
1.) Edited prints

So Pros far outweigh the Cons for me and the Con is easier to swallow for me since I have never seen the show so I will not know what was edited.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Can someone with season one of this set please confirm if the following is true?A seller on eBay claims: "There is a story on the third disc that is duplicated on the fifth disc under a different title."
If this is so, perhaps TGG will offer a corrected disc?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Can anyone confirm what the openings and closings look like? I've been told by my Ziv show expert that when it ran, the openings were truncated and they had extensive coming attractions to pad out the 25:30 run time. If that's where the cuts are then the stories should be intact. Also, how do the color episodes look?

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Here's a full 25:58 season 2 episode with full opening, episode specific voice over, and full end credits, including a generic coming attraction, and skydiving PSA.

Promo and unreleased pilot:

How many color episodes are there?

JeffT.

Screenwriter
Without all the (neat) extra gobbledygook the episodes seem to run approximately 23 minutes.

Actually I like that episode previews and skydiving commentary stuff. Its (apparent) exclusion in the DVD release still kills my interest.

Technically speaking each episode should clock in at (approximately) 26 minutes in length with the "paddling" included.

It's really too bad!

:rolleyes:

Jeff T.

Cowboy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
I bought Ripcord Season 1 and 2 at Deep Discount for $14.94
each with free shipping.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
The Party was delayed three days, but I Finally celebrated my Birthday today. I am watching Season One Episode One The Sky Diver and I'm impressed by the quality. (Bear in mind prior to today the only episodes I saw were via Bootleg DVDs, and the quality was quite (Expletive Deleted)). Needless to say the 'boots made their way to the Bar I own. It's called The Workbench, and all who go there get HAMMERED! :rolling-smiley: May they rest In pieces!

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Regulus said:
The Party was delayed three days, but I Finally celebrated my Birthday today. I am watching Season One Episode One The Sky Diver and I'm impressed by the quality. (Bear in mind prior to today the only episodes I saw were via Bootleg DVDs, and the quality was quite (Expletive Deleted)). Needless to say the 'boots made their way to the Bar I own. It's called The Workbench, and all who go there get HAMMERED! :rolling-smiley: May they rest In pieces!
Hammered is one thing, as long as they don't get screwed over. :P

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I pulled down a random episode from YouTube and I must say I really, really enjoyed it. I didn't find anything dull about it at all. I was wondering how Ken Curtis would be since I've always known him as Festus and the same with Larry Pennell with knowing him as Dash Riprock. They both play their role really well and it's absolutely enjoyable.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Ripcord is the airborne counterpart of Sea Hunt, instead of Boats and Scuba Gear you have Airplanes and Parachutes. Too bad they never made a "Crossover" Episode of either series where the charactures of one of these series assisted the charactures of the other, it would have been a scream. :biggrin: :rolling-smiley:

BTW The Plane from Ripcord makes a cameo appearance in an episode of Lassie, but that's another story. :laugh:

Cowboy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
I have been viewing Season 1 episodes.It appears what is "edited" is the 2 minute or
so part after the ending credits.The part that has the coming attraction and skydiving
info is missing.The actual episode is untouched from intro to end credits.This was
a blind buy and well worth $15 per season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks