What's new

Tex Avery Box Set!?! (2 Viewers)

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
I'm intrigued by the fact that the R2 set included some of the Universal cartoons--including "The Legend of Rockabye Point". I know that cooperation between studios is rare, but maybe something could be worked out when the R1 set is eventually released. I'm guardedly optimistic

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
As far as I'm concerned, this is the final word on the subject, from Jerry Beck:

I understand your pessimisim.
I can only tell you that it is the intention of Warner Home Video (and me, as a constultant) to release (in the U.S.) uncut, uncensored, unedited, restored versions of cartoons in sets aimed at collectors. Our first effort, the LOONEY TUNES GOLDEN COLLECTION is an example of what we intend.
There are some releases, like the TOM & JERRY dvds, that are aimed at families, moms & kids. I cannot speak for those. Collections aimed at collectors will be uncut.
The situation with the French set is this: The French division of Warner Home Video really wanted to put out the TEX AVERY cartoons NOW. The U.S. home office is currently restoring the prints for eventual U.S. DVD release. The French office couldn't wait. They went ahead and used the old TV masters.
They wanted Avery in the worst way - and got it!
I cannot say for sure how future Warner Home Video cartoon collections will fare, but I can tell you it is our intention - and I'm on the team - to release uncut, restored, complete versions of the cartoons on dvd.

ChrisPearson

Second Unit
Marco, I realise the edits on T&J were a mistake, but the inclusion of these prints underscored the problem with the set: that, in order to release, as Jerry Beck says in the quote in Jeff's post, "uncut, restored, complete versions of the cartoons", they simply left out the un-PC shorts. In other words, the issue was sidestepped. The fact that the same thing is happening in the LTGC sets (are we ever going to see Coal Black and De Sebben Dwarfs?) suggests this policy isn't restricted to sets "aimed at families, moms & kids".

His name alone is one familiar mainly among classic film and animation enthusiasts and not something that would attract the average shopper or young children if displayed on retail shelves.
Having said what I've said, Marco, I admit your point here is encouraging. My fingers are also crossed that Warner will treat Avery as a great film-maker rather than as the creator of family-familiar characters like Droopy. And, lest you think me a total pessimist, I'm also encouraged by the fact that a tiny few, unrestored Avery shorts have been released as DVD extras, including Little Tinker (on The Bachelor and the Bobbysoxer), complete with ethnic steretypes, so if the set is aimed at film buffs, we'll be ok.

ChrisPearson

Second Unit
I'm intrigued by the fact that the R2 set included some of the Universal cartoons--including "The Legend of Rockabye Point". I know that cooperation between studios is rare, but maybe something could be worked out when the R1 set is eventually released.
As the four Universal shorts are the only Avery-directed shorts Warner don't own (and as Universal will probably never release them themselves), it would be great if Warner could licence them for a truly complete set. I'd also like to see Avery's TV commercials as extras.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
in order to release, as Jerry Beck says in the quote in Jeff's post, "uncut, restored, complete versions of the cartoons", they simply left out the un-PC shorts. In other words, the issue was sidestepped. The fact that the same thing is happening in the LTGC sets (are we ever going to see Coal Black and De Sebben Dwarfs?) suggests this policy isn't restricted to sets "aimed at families, moms & kids".
I don't necessarily think that the case.

I believe the Tom and Jerry issue is a completely seperate occurance and one that should be addressed shortly at the Warner chat. I don't think there's any reason to conclude anything before the studio offers an official statement though.

As for the LTGC sets, I agree in part but not necessarily for the reasons you listed. I actually brought up a similair point in a topic at the GAC forums the other day, (discussed at the bottom of page 2 & 3 - post #19):

http://forums.goldenagecartoons.com/...1&page=2&pp=10

I think the aim of these first two sets to date, have been to adhere to the demands of the mass audience that have been requesting the more "popular" and widely screened 50's shorts that have been circulating on cable broadcast and the like in recent years.

We saw a vast improvement on the second volume, with many earlier pre-48 shorts and even a couple black and white toons. There were also a few edgier segments including some subtle racial caricatures however nothing to the extent of the material referanced in this thread. I'm hoping that once the majority of the popular Jones and Freleng cartoons are released to DVD, WB in collaboration with Jerry Beck, will start to issue the earlier 30's and 40's shorts and the direction fo the series will turn towards us enthusiasts.

I don't think that WB have been avoiding the racy cartoons in their GC selections to date, simply issuing those hugley popular shorts that are in higher demand. Do you recall the uproar and even negative reviews posted on Amazon after the first set was released and failed to include "One Froggy Evening"? As ridiculosu as that might be, the general public want to see these familiar cartoons released and WB will have to address that before Jerry Beck can finally dig in deep and start issuing the material that WE are hoping to see. I'm betting that's the scenario anyways, and hope that I'm right.

Eitherway, the LTGC have been signed on for another approx. 10 more issues so we'll eventually see.

And if not, I guess I'll finally have to hit up Ebay for a laserdisc player and start saving up for those GAOLT sets...

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Any news on a R1 release? I have a 50 Euro Amazon.fr gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket, and as there is NO news of a Tex Avery box coming to R1 in the near future tempatation is very difficult to resist.

Have I missed any R1 news?

Thanks,
Ted

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
You have not, though recently Jerry Beck had mentioned that Mr. George Feltentstein was pushing WB to allow him to take this little project under his wing so that he could do us classic animation fans justics. I'm hoping, as are many, that Warner hands him over the reigns.

Feel free to telephone and email WB and let them know that this is something you want to see, and that you want to see it handeled with the same thought and care as their other classic film releases... and not like the Tom & Jerry boxsets they bunked.

sarah99

Agent
Real Name
sarah
What nobody has mentioned so far is that the very best cartoon in this collection "Blitz Wolf" has been censored to remove all mention of the Japanese.

Original .................................................. ...... French

The sinking of Japan by the big gun is entirely removed (12 secs approx)

buttmunker

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
They can release a Tex Avery collection - if they're afraid of rushing the sensitive material, there's plenty of Avery stuff that can be shown without the worry.

01: Who Killed Who
02: Batty Baseball (unless they consider the gay pitcher a risk)
03: Jerky Turkey
04: Bad Luck Blackie
05: The Cat That Hated People
06: The House of Tomorrow
07: Doggone Tired
08: The Counterfeit Cat
09: Ventriloquist Cat
10: The Peachy Cobbler
11: Cock-A-Doodle Dog
12: Symphony in Slang
13: One Cab's Family
14: Rock-A-Bye Bear
15: Little Johnny Jet
16: TV of Tomorrow
17: Billy Boy
18: The Farm of Tomorrow
19: The Flea Circus
20: Cellbound

That's enough for a 2-disc set, and nobody will be offended.

BarryM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barry Margolis
Love to see it, but my first choice for cartoons on DVD is a Bob Clampett at Warner Bros box.

T H A T I would die for......

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I take it at this point that the R1 Tex Avery collection is completely dead, and we should be grateful for the Droopy set and buy the R2 if we want the rest?

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I have just bought the French Warner's Tex Avory box. Has anyone bought this - I have various questions about it such as who plays the live person in "who killed who"? Is it Avory? I have tried to contact Sarah99 but she seems to be gone as is "Sarah" on the GAC forum.

sarah99

Agent
Real Name
sarah
Not gone, merely lurking.
There is nothing controversial in the French set, all potentially offensive material was removed.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I have recently received from Amazon France the French Warners "Tex Avery Box". It is PAL and Region code 2. The box consists of 5 DVDs is not perfect and does not have all of Avery's MGM cartoons. A number of the cartoons have been modified because they are not "politically correct". Also included is a tin box and a booklet "Symphony in Slang" which has sketches from a number of the cartoons.

Hopefully someday Warners USA will release the complete Tex Avery (Lantz/ Warners / MGM) restored and unmodified. I hope by purchasing the French Avery box that Murphy's Law will cause Warners USA to release the Avery box soon. I have seen posts from 2003/2005 all stating that it will happen (BUT when?). On the Home Theater Forum there was a very long thread (circa over 2000 posts) started in 2000 about the ultimate release of the "Blade Runner". It was finally released late last year. The question is therefore, when will the "Complete" Tex Avery be released. I am sure that Jerry Beck knows something but he is not allowed to say anything. I got the french Avery Box as I would like something to tide me over until the complete restored unmodified Avery is released. I really don't want to wait many years for that. I bought here in Germany the Tom and Jerrys which were cut or modified. I double dipped and bought the Warner USA 3 volumes of T&J Spotlight Collection which were MUCH better in quality than the European T&J. Now in Volume 3 of the Tom & Jerry Spotlight collection, there are 2 cartoons missing which are present and uncut on the European Tom and Jerrys. I hope that Warners USA will release the complete restored uncut Tom and Jerrys. Like the Avery Box, I at least have something. I am happy to have it.

I will try to describe the French Avery Box. The box has 5 DVDs. The first 4 have the Avery Cartoons. The 5th DVD has 2 documentaries about Avery, each is circa 45 minutes. One was produced by Turner, the other was produced by French Warners. The Turner documentary has french subtitles only with english audio. The French documentary has only french audio but with english subtitles I haven't completely finished the Turner, both use similar examples of Avery's work.

The Avery cartoons have the original english audio as well as the french audio and French subtitles which are not "forced". The default is no subtitles. The PQ is acceptable. For my TV and my eyes the PQ is good. I would assume that they are not restored. The cartoons are given is the same order as listed on the IMDB (Tex Avery) starting with #81 "Blitz Wolf" and ending with #13 "Cellbound".

Missing in the box are: "Uncle Tom's Cabana" and "Half-Pint Pigmy".

Also missing is "Cat's Meow".

Not included are the 4 Lantz cartoons "Sh-h-h-h-h-h"; "The Legend of Rockabye Point"; "I'm Cold" and "Crazy Mixed Up Pup" which are all given in the 1st Woody Woodpecker Box.

A number of the cartoons have been cut/modified. I will list all that I know of - please post any that I have missed:

"Blitz Wolf" - which is uncut on the Warner's Oscar winners and Nominations.

The following Droopies are modified: "Daredevil Droopy"; "Droop's Good Deed" which are uncut on the Droopy box.

Also modified are: "Happy-Go-Nutty"; "Henpecked Hoboes"; "Lucky Ducky"; "Garden Gopher";

Currently on Amazon.fr, the Avery box costs 72.13 Euros (which includes 19% sales tax). Yesterday, I checked that the cost if was to be sent to North America was 60.61 Euros + postage 10.90 Euros = 71.51 Euros. There is no tax if sent outside of the EC. I was lucky when I ordered it - it was 49.74 EU (41.80 + 7.94 tax) plus postage

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
ummmmmm.... thanks for the review, but I'm pretty sure the french box has been thoroughly discussed....

Trevtpir

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Trevor
In the US, Tex Avery's Universal cartoons are Woody Woodpecker and Friends volume 1 from Universal.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
Since the french box came out in 2003, I am sure somewhere there has been discussion. However on HTF this thread was started in 2003, renewed in 2005 and then this year. A number of posts in this thread have given wrong info. I tried to find out what was "cut" or omitted - this was not mentioned. One person stated "There is nothing controversial in the French set, all potentially offensive material was removed." does not give any info!

I therefore say that for HTF and this thread has NOT been thoroughly discussed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks