What's new

Testy Area 51 (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Steve Christou said:

Sandra sent me an email "Un-fookin'-believable" she was always foul-mouthed, even in her emails.

For a moment I thought you were going to say "... even when she spoke.".

Yeah, the boys of Brazil - the Germans and the Brazilians.

Cees

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Steve Christou said:
I haven't seen it but why were you disappointed in Godzilla Mike, not enough monster action?
Sort of. The Cranston part was really superfluous, to my mind. Lop off the front third of the movie and you'd be fine (not really. even that wouldn't help).

Not so much a lack of monster action as much as a lack of an interesting story with which to surround the monster.

========

And even when they're history...they're still part of the fabric of our lives. Kind of applies to both our deceased family and our exes, too! ;)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Sorry for your loss Russ. That is very tough.Off to see Planes: Search & Rescue this weekend. The movie watching with the kids is getting better though. We are highly anticipating The BoxTrolls

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I would mostly agree with Friedkin's quotes, but for a slightly different reason. Television has the capacity to develop a story and provide a lot of background without having to take the kind of shortcuts that film is forced to make. There are obviously quality productions in both domains; but I think the longer form of television can, in the right hands, have an extra dimension that film does not, due to time constraints.

My best friend and I spend Saturdays marathoning various shows. A while back we completed all five seasons of Breaking Bad. It was a great experience and I am hard pressed to think of something that worked that well and that consistently. Other shows that we've watched in their entirety include (all second viewings for me):

Battlestar Galactica 2004 - Really held up well on the second viewing for me.

Prison Break - A guilty pleasure show for me. My buddy liked it well enough, although it does drop off in quality, especially in season 4.

We are currently watching:

Season 1 of Arrow - Another guilty pleasure.

Season 2 of Fringe - Loved just about everything about this entire series and my friend is really getting into this one.

Season 1 of Lost - I am one of those who absolutely hated the finale of this show and my friend knows this but still wanted to watch the series. I am enjoying the first season with the character development and I am attempting to adopt a different mindset on my second viewing. It is a lot of fun right now, but as I recall, it bogged down a bit in season 2 for me. Still there are some great episodes to watch and I'm awaiting the appearance of Benjamin Linus, and my favorite 'brotha' Desmond Hume.

- Walter.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Russell, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know it is hard even when you think you are mentally prepared. I am glad to see you posting here again.
Steve Christou said:
I know you're a big fan of Mark 'The Frowner' Wahlberg Elizabeth, hmm was it a Wahlberg or Bale interview I scanned from a magazine for you a few years ago? Can't remember. ;)

I wanna see Dawn of the Apes not sure if I should just wait for the blu-ray. I'm sure it'll be fun but photo-realistic CG apes just don't have the same appeal to me as the original iconic ape masks.
That was Christian Bale. :)

I got to see Dawn of the Planet of the Apes this weekend. I really enjoyed it!! I just love how closely the ape society mirrors humans. I loved the facial expressions of Caesar's son. As in "Rise", there were some really emotionally touching moments. I had feared too much speaking by the apes might make it comical, but most of them communicate via sign language so it was OK (but it might make it hard for young kids to read all the subtitles).
Steve Christou said:
I agree Guardians of the Galaxy is hit and miss, might be Marvel's biggest gamble, I read somewhere it was their biggest film to date. Bigger than the Avengers? I want to see it though.
Steve Christou said:
Hey Walter, I didn't even know there was a comic called Guardians of the Galaxy. That talking raccoon might put people off seeing it, or maybe the opposite.
I don't know anything about the roots of "Guardians", but that raccoon intrigues me. And he doesn't sound like Bradley Cooper.
Steve Christou said:
And I've got 12 shiny new episodes of 24 to watch, woohoo.
It's a great ride!! I watched the finale last night.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I predict you'll be loving the season of 24, Steve!

And just for the record, I own (and am wearing) the very same eyeglasses worn by William Devane in this season of 24! This is actually true. :biggrin:

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Does Devane know you have them Mike? [snigger]

I'm about to watch 2, maybe 3, episodes of 24 now.

I rewatched all 9 seasons of The X Files a month ago. The show started off so well but the 'mythology' and Scully's pregnancy episodes really started to bore me. It was good to see Bryan Cranston appearing in one episode and a few episodes later there was Aaron Paul.

Good to know Apes is worth seeing Elizabeth, I might make the effort.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I also saw Third Person this weekend. What a cast -- Liam Neeson, Adrien Brody, Mila Kunis, James Franco, Maria Bello, Kim Basinger, Olivia Wilde directed by Paul Haggis. Yet this film has received terrible reviews. I like Haggis from his "EZ Streets" days. Perhaps he was a bit over ambitious with the narrative structure of the film and people may find the conclusion gimmicky. I still found it interesting enough with some nice performances. Oh, and worth your watch if you like Olivia Wilde. ;)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Steve Christou said:
I rewatched all 9 seasons of The X Files a month ago. The show started off so well but the 'mythology' and Scully's pregnancy episodes really started to bore me. It was good to see Bryan Cranston appearing in one episode and a few episodes later there was Aaron Paul.

Good to know Apes is worth seeing Elizabeth, I might make the effort.
Wow, that's some marathon!! I kind of preferred the standalone "creature features" myself. One of my favorite episodes is "Small Potatoes". The whole mythology became way too convoluted.

Go see "Apes". :)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
It took me about 3 months to watch all 200 episodes, usually 2 episodes a night, finished last month. I like the standalone episodes too, some of them were really creepy.

Have to confess I haven't even heard of Third Person until you mentioned it. That's quite a cast.

I will go Ape. :)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Steve Christou said:
I will go Ape. :)
Does that mean you'll take a banana to the theater? :rolling-smiley: :banana:

I don't think I ever finished X-Files. I lost interest around halfway through the Robert Patrick season. I lost interest with Millennium as well, you all remember that one? The X-files knock off? It was great, until the final season that undid one of the greatest season finales in the history of TV. I think I baled on it too.

this reminds me that I still have Star Trek TOS to watch. We were into season 2 when dad went in hospital so I put it on hold. Been watching Ernie Kovacs the past month since I'm a 100 years old. :ph34r: I have Game of Thrones to watch too, the last season. Still don;t like the show though, so dragging my heals.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
That reminds me, I also have 2 seasons of Game of Thrones to watch too, woo and hoo! And from what I hear plenty of gratuitous nudity on the show, hopefully the female kind. [snort]

I keep putting off watching all 700 episodes of Star Trek Russ, maybe I'll start next year when I buy all the ST-TNG seasons on blu-ray at affordable prices.

Btw my droogie woogies, why do we have a 'burka' smiley? :ph34r: guys....

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to start Star Trek: The Next Generation on Blu-Ray, but I think it will have to be a solo effort. My viewing buddy loves ST: TOS, but I don't think he ever really got into any of the series after the original.

I watched a lot of X-Files when FX ran the series with an episode a day (I don't recall when) but I haven't watched any X-Files related stuff since the first film. I wouldn't mind watching this series again, but it was disappointing that a series that had so much potential (and one of the great antagonists - The Cigarette Smoking Man) wasn't able to seal the deal. Oh well.

Re: Third Person. Did someone mention Olivia Wilde. Well say no more. :) Back when she was on House I could pause the screen when she was in closeup and just drink in that face for hours. Maybe not that long, but you get the idea.

- Walter.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
And I'm not familiar with Moran Atias (I see she's in FX's "Tyrant" which I decided to pass on), but she also has a nice role in "Third Person".

Oh yay!! I just looked what's opening this weekend and "The Grand Seduction" will be here starring Taylor Kitsch. :) I enjoyed the original version, "Seducing Dr. Lewis", which was a charming little French Canadian film. And Zach Braff's "Wish I was Here" is opening as well. Zach's "Garden State" had such a distinctive style that when I first saw the "Wish" trailer, I knew Zach had to have directed it

Started watching the first episode of "The Strain" last night. I didn't have time to finish it, but it was quite interesting so far. I have read 2 of the books in the trilogy, which were OK. The 3rd one took a while to come out and I never got around to it. I didn't care very much for the promos for the show, but we'll see how it goes.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I ended up watching 4 back to back episodes of 24, only 8 more to go. At this rate I'll finish them by the end of the week. The same thing happened on previous series of 24 where I would watch 3 or 4 episodes in one evening. They know how to grab ya the bastages!

Alias was another series that would end on a cliffhanger or jaw-dropping revelation at the end of each episode, forcing me to spend entire evenings watching the show. At least Jennifer Garner was a lot more pleasant to look at than Kiefer.

alias.jpg

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Yeah, I tore through the entire series of Breaking Bad in little over a month. Watched it with mum, it nearly drove her out of her mind!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.