What's new

Testy Area 51 (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
my wine.jpg

But I did name my home winery after a hero of the French resistance.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Mike, it's become fashionable to blow up or wreck London, see GI Joe 2, Fantastic Four 2, Star Trek 2, Thor 2 and V for Vendetta. :)
Yes, I find it strange that we have gone from blowing up New York and the White House in the US to up and down the Thames in London.
Seems like the fashionable thing to do.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Parker,
Don't forget the almost-last episode of The Prisoner, The Girl Who Was Death, dealt with a plot to blow up London.

Guy Fawkes started it off centuries ago.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
24: Live Another Day is fantastic! I love having Jack back!!

Just watched the finale of Fargo last night. Since Fargo is one of my favorite films, I was a bit apprehensive about the TV series. But damn -- it was terrific! Billy Bob hasn't had such a good role in a long while and the supporting cast was the right blend of homey, quirky, annoying, naive. I hope they do have a second season, though I know they are thinking of all new characters and story (like American Horror Story).

Last weekend, I saw The Signal. Apparently, it had only a small 150-ish theater release so far. It starts with a premise that could have been from any horror/stalker film but goes off in an interesting direction. Don't even watch trailers if you think you might see it.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
On a quiz show just now -

Host - Who starred in Shanghai Surprise with her then husband Sean Penn?

Man - ....Jackie Chan?

:lol:

On a previous show -

Host - Which of the Bronte sisters wrote Wuthering Heights?

Woman - .... Jane Austen?

:blink:

BTW it was Monty Python and the Holy Grail that included a fake intermission of just a few seconds, the longer intermission was added to the end credits for some reason.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I have been on a B-movie binge. This week's outings were Deathstalker and Starcrash. Starcrash is an awesome post-Star Wars release with terrible effects, costumes and sets. You have to see it. Also watched Hammer of the Gods a newer viking b-movie. This one ended up being pretty good.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Zen,
I tend to "derate" HF tools. That tranny lift is rated for 450 lbs. and the Boxster transaxle is about 100 lbs. (I can actually lift it). Same with their jackstands: the 986 is a 2,800 lb. car and the jackstands are rated 6 tons a pair.

But times change. 15 years ago Craftsman tools were great and HF stuff was junk. Nowadays the Craftsman stuff is becoming sub-par and the HF stuff is improving greatly in quality.

Fortunately Sears put a Lisle set of Torx bits on sale so that's what I used to pull the flywheel bolts. Still made in the US. And 20 odd years ago I bought a Snap-on hex bit that's the size needed for the CV joint flange bolts - probably bought for my old Jetta.

To go all LOTR, here's the Lidless Eye of Sauron, aka IMS flange.

14251484248_a589f33da4_c.jpg

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Saw No Tears for the Dead today. It's a Korean film by the director of The Man from Nowhere. Jang Dong Gun is one of my favorite Korean actors and I enjoyed seeing him, though the story is very cliche. Uber violent, too.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I really miss the quality of Craftsman and Snap-On tools. You really couldn't screw them up enough so that they failed. Half the crap you buy today breaks down within the first year
of use.

Dennis:
Love The Prisoner series, except the WTF ending.

Just got through binge watching all 4 seasons of Game of Thrones. I really want a
dragon of my own.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Saw 22 Jump Street (I didn't see the first one yet). It was pretty fun -- I think Channing Tatum should do more comedies. I didn't care for him before, but he is slowly winning me over after Magic Mike and Side Effects.

I also saw Guy Pearce's latest, The Rover. The story engaged me right away and I appreciated its slow burn type of storytelling. Silence and that looooong beat of inaction really make for some tense moments. Robert Pattinson deserves all the raves he's getting and I actually think he could get nominations for this if the film catches on. His character could have gone wrong in so many ways if it was overplayed but his open, simple, wounded portrayal is a great contrast to Pearce's tight-mouthed, fierce, single-minded character (although there's a lot going on under that exterior). There are plausibility issues with the plot, but I found it interesting and different.

Just started watching "The Musketeers" on BBCAmerica. Not too familiar with any of the cast, but I liked the first episode. Of course, the 1973 The Three Musketeers is my favorite film and I loved Dumas' novel.

Several months ago, I got an expanded channel line-up at a promotional price. I've been recording movies and shows to watch and constantly trying to free up hard drive space. I recently watched "Picnic at Hanging Rock", "The Postman Always Rings Twice" (1946), "Brief Encounter" and "Thanks for Sharing". I'd wanted to see the first 3 for many years.

I was hoping Snowpiercer would open here this week, but it doesn't appear so. I may go to Transformers since it's Mark Wahlberg now. :) I really can't wait for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. I hope they don't speak too much and make it stupid. :D "Apes strong!"

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Several months ago, I got an expanded channel line-up at a promotional price. I've been recording movies and shows to watch and constantly trying to free up hard drive space. I recently watched "Picnic at Hanging Rock", "The Postman Always Rings Twice" (1946), "Brief Encounter" and "Thanks for Sharing". I'd wanted to see the first 3 for many years.
Brief Encounter is one of my favorite David Lean films. Just a perfect gem of a film.

- Walter.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I just adore Picnic at Hanging Rock. Dr. says 24 oz. of beer is a-ok; a day! I picked a 22 oz 10.5% double IPA and I have nice lean going on

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Watched a couple of films yesterday I'd recorded -- "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" and "Walkabout".

"Mad" is about as jam-packed with comedic actors as you can get, but I thought it just went on a little too long with many of its scenes. There's a reason you rarely find 3-hour comedies!

I also finally saw "Walkabout" after hearing about it for years. I really enjoyed this one!

Users who are viewing this thread