What's new

Testy Area 51 (2 Viewers)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Snnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooor huh wha? Falcons of America? Let me catch up....

Hmmm...

YIKES!

Wow, some sad stuff going on. Everyone okay? Are we doing all right?

The Falcon, to the best of my knowledge, has always been a co-star as opposed to having their own book. He tagged along most famously with Cap, I'm pretty sure he's been an Avenger and a S.H.I.E.L.D. guy and all that too. People like him, I'm indifferent. He's just the Vulture, but no a dick right? I don't know.

Is it weird that I'm more excited for "Disney Nature: Bears" than I am for Captain America? I'd post a super cute picture from the film, but I'm no longer able to post pictures on the site. Hence I'm not active as much anymore.

Not been to the cinema in months since going through some pretty serious hospital stuff with Dad that continues to be ongoing. Will try to squeeze in Cappy and the Bear.

Watched Anchorman for the first time last night. I did not love it. Not sure why it's so popular. It has it's moments, but meh.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I didn't like the original Anchorman...so I didn't even bother with the sequel.

Love the cast. The topic is tied pretty closely to my profession. But I hated the execution.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Russell G said:
Watched Anchorman for the first time last night. I did not love it. Not sure why it's so popular. It has it's moments, but meh.
I hear that a bit. Wait a week or a month, then watch again - I suspect that you will love it. I liked the sequel okay (not nearly as much as the original), but when I rewatched the expanded/unrated edition - the flow of the sequel and jokes struck a tighter chord.

I've reviewed both titles now on Blu so if you want to know my full thoughts (or really my explanation on why at least the first film is genius), I recommend checking them out!

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I'm a big fan of the first Anchorman and wasn't that crazy about the sequel, Steve Carell's character 'Brick' had too much screen time this time round and he really started to grate. Plus the last half hour just wasn't that funny, but than all comedies seem to fizzle out by the end, are there any exceptions?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I will check them out. I didn't loath or hate it, just thought it a bit blah. Seemed to take forever to get going, and was missing the sharp satire to be found in the other Ferral/Mckay pictures. I'll probably watch the second one over the weekend, and did into "Wake Up Ron Burgandy" and what ever the 800 new joke version is at some point. Walmart had the complete set in a tin for $2 more than Anchorman 2 so I figured it was as decent blind by at $13 per film.

I re-started my movie round-ups via a blog. Feel free to check them out if your bored. :)

http://russonabus.wordpress.com/2014/04/02/movie-a-day-035-044-first-half-of-february/

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Steve Christou said:
I'm a big fan of the first Anchorman and wasn't that crazy about the sequel, Steve Carell's character 'Brick' had too much screen time this time round and he really started to grate. Plus the last half hour just wasn't that funny, but than all comedies seem to fizzle out by the end, are there any exceptions?
Anchorman got funnier at the end :P

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I remember watching that episode when it aired Steve. Funny stuff. He had him back on the next year I think to apologize, he wore a nice suit.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
serenity a.jpg

Attachments

• 2005 serenity b.jpg
    2005 serenity b.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 10

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Hi guys,

I missed a lot of stuff going on. Some sad stuff. . .hang in there!

I am on the tail end of a move so have been spending weeks packing and transporting boxes. (All the stuff I don't want movers to touch.) This Monday, I had the movers move most of the rest of the stuff and am now living amongst boxes. (I think I ended up with about 75 boxes -- 10-reams of Xerox paper-sized and larger. I'm such a pack rat.) Way down the road after I've settled in and perhaps gone to Vegas again, I will finally be able to get a cat in this pet-friendly building. I have waited decades since I was a child. My childhood cat ran away with an injured paw and it's a sad memory for me.

So of course, I have not been to any movies for about 6 weeks. My home theater is not set up yet here, either. I am way behind on my regular TV shows as it is.

Will be doing some intense cleaning this weekend at the place I vacated.

See you later.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Well I am back from the dead; literally. I had a heart valve defect, went into cardiac arrest and died for several minutes. Luckily, we live walking distance from St. Jude hospital. I was out of it for 10 days or so. Never felt a thing and luckily wife found me on floor and knows CPR. I eat like a champ, exercise and take care of myself. They put stints in my heart and I am at home and back in action. Something hereditary. Very scary for my loved ones and friends. No, there was no light or goblin telling me to return to earth either.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Zen Butler said:
Well I am back from the dead; literally. I had a heart valve defect, went into cardiac arrest and died for several minutes. Luckily, we live walking distance from St. Jude hospital. I was out of it for 10 days or so. Never felt a thing and luckily wife found me on floor and knows CPR. I eat like a champ, exercise and take care of myself. They put stints in my heart and I am at home and back in action. Something hereditary. Very scary for my loved ones and friends. No, there was no light or goblin telling me to return to earth either.
Goodness me! I am sorry to hear about that but very glad you are here to tell us about it! I hope you are very much on the mend!!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Jesus, Zen. Don't do that again. Glad you're okay now. Keep doing that okay part please.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Zeennnn! The light Zen.... go towards the light.... or was it avoid the light? I can never remember. Wow we nearly lost you Zen, glad you're back amigo. Like I tell people the heart is treacherous, the fittest athletes suddenly drop dead while running. That should cheer you up a bit. ;)

Hi Elizabeth, looks like this thread might outlive us all.

Watched Nymphomaniac vol.1 and 2, 4 hours of my life I will never get back. From what I've heard most of the genitalia on display were either not real or belong to special 'stunt doubles'. The actors should have demanded 'bigger' doubles. :blink:

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Nasty story to hear, Zen. But with a great outcome.
Very nice to have you back, from wherever. Doesn't matter: just back, thankfully.

I agree with Steve. Nymphomaniac is safe to watch. Those minitalia won't threaten your heartrate in the least.

Cees

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
First Mike and now Zen have serious heart problems. Geez what's wrong with this thread now?

After several months of screwing around and losing my old doctor with this Obamacare situation, I got into see my new doctor. He picked up the heart murmur that my temporary doctor heard last fall. I don't know whether he was concerned or just practicing "defensive medicine" but he sent me off for an echocardiogram. The echo tech found a valve problem. Now I have to wait a couple of weeks for the next appointment with my doctor, so of course I lose sleep worrying. I suppose if the report from the echo tech was that bad I'd get called back in immediately, but one never knows.

My grandfather got medically discharged from the navy circa 1909 (age 18) when they found he had a heart murmur. When WWI came along he volunteered for the army. I have his enlistment papers which contain an entry "any previous military service?" He lied and wrote "none". He lived with that heart murmur for 62 years dying at age 80 (of unrelated causes). He was mostly healthy as a horse of mixed Ulster Scot and Choctaw blood.

My family mostly dies of heart failure around age 80. But then again most of my family smoked like a chimney. My great-grandmother eschewed smoking and lived independently to age 96 so there's hope for me yet.

Mike has had a history of circulatory problems. What about you Zen? Did this just come out of the blue?

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Dennis Nicholls said:
First Mike and now Zen have serious heart problems. Geez what's wrong with this thread now? After several months of screwing around and losing my old doctor with this Obamacare situation, I got into see my new doctor. He picked up the heart murmur that my temporary doctor heard last fall. I don't know whether he was concerned or just practicing "defensive medicine" but he sent me off for an echocardiogram. The echo tech found a valve problem. Now I have to wait a couple of weeks for the next appointment with my doctor, so of course I lose sleep worrying. I suppose if the report from the echo tech was that bad I'd get called back in immediately, but one never knows.My grandfather got medically discharged from the navy circa 1909 (age 18) when they found he had a heart murmur. When WWI came along he volunteered for the army. I have his enlistment papers which contain an entry "any previous military service?" He lied and wrote "none". He lived with that heart murmur for 62 years dying at age 80 (of unrelated causes). He was mostly healthy as a horse of mixed Ulster Scot and Choctaw blood.My family mostly dies of heart failure around age 80. But then again most of my family smoked like a chimney. My great-grandmother eschewed smoking and lived independently to age 96 so there's hope for me yet.Mike has had a history of circulatory problems. What about you Zen? Did this just come out of the blue?
Working in corporate America, I was at risk of losing my doctor every year when the company health insurance added and dropped insurer options. As a diabetic that has a good relationship with my doctors, I was always nervous at the sign up time and only had an issue once.I've always been thankful for having coverage though - diabetes ain't cheap :)Hope the murmur never bothers you, Dennis!!

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Currently watching the Blu-ray of 55 Days at Peking, wow, what a restoration! Excellent PQ and the DTS stereo is superb too.

I hope The Agony and the Ecstasy is as good, I'll be watching that tomorrow. I have The War Lord on order from Amazon.

agony-and-ecstasy.jpg

"Do you dare to dicker with your pontiff?"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.