What's new

Testy Area 51 (3 Viewers)

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
It's hidden. You have to go to special BBCode.

2Hlb7LO.png

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Hi Zen! :)

I'm considering Ender's Game, Steve. I haven't seen Hugo, but that kid has a bratty face. I have Card's novel but haven't read it. (I only read his "Lost Boys" which was interesting, but quite slow with a heartbreaking ending which made me cry.)

I saw Escape Plan this past weekend. It was OK. Mainly fun seeing Sly and Arnold together, as well as a "livelier" performance from James Caviezel (than his restrained man-of-few-words I see weekly on "Person of Interest").

I'm looking forward to About Time next week. One of the most promising trailers I've seen in a while -- I particularly love the way Bill Nighy says the revelatory line (though I've seen a different line reading in the TV ad).

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Moe, Gravity hasn't opened in the UK yet, but um won't it look as good on my 42 inch 3D telly? With the lights off and curtains closed and the sound cranked up!! [gasps] Must admit the visuals did look impressive on the big screen.

Dave, I've only read the first book, I loved that twist ending. It was Earth after all! [wink]

Elizabeth, you're still our top movie-goer here. I have to be coaxed into seeing the big films like Gravity, smaller films don't have a chance. My cinema going days are long past, when I used to watch anything and I mean anything. I even saw Mandingo and it's sequel Drum on the big screen way back in the 70's, double bill, does anyone even remember those films? :)

At the screening of Ender's Game, a woman and her three children were sitting right at the very front, it looked like she was staring at her mobile, reading something all through the film while her children were whispering and laughing and occasionally looking up at the screen. An old guy behind me was snoring loudly every 20mins or so.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I tried to resize Stev-o. You should engage in Gravity. I enjoyed it. Just don't think about it too hard. The one surprise I found on Netflix was the film Timecrimes.I can't see sigs on dis here iPhone. Dennis, the chap next station to me is a Miata enthusiast and was very impressed with your $75 find. Steve, I have a business out near ye.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Saw Thor- The Dark World at my local cineplex and in a decently sized screen this time. Funnier and about as good as the original, if not better. As you can tell from the trailer, Thor and Loki team up to beat a nasty new enemy, this time it's the 'Dark Elves' led by ex-Dr. Who Christopher Eccleston. Asgard and London get mullered, Chris Evans has a hilarious cameo as Captain America and the ending is a shocker. The most fun superhero film of the year. 5 out of 5.

Thor-2-The-Dark-World.jpg

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Looking forward to seeing Thor deux this weekend at the local cinema. Glad to hear that you enjoyed Steve. From the previews looks like a good mix of action and some lighter material to break the tension.

- Walter.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Hi Walter, Thor won't win any Oscars but it was a good strong entry in the Marvel series. Kat Dennings has a larger role in this one and she has some of the funniest lines. There are mid and post credit sequences, I only saw the first one. The music by Brian Tyler was good but I miss Patrick Doyle's Thor theme.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
More Kat Dennings is a good thing. Admittedly it is probably the crudest show currently airing on television, but I watch 2 Broke Girls for Dennings, who breaks me up every week with her snarky Max Black character.

Russell - I watched Oliver Stone's Untold History series when it aired on cable and I definitely recommend a viewing. Frankly, I did not post this in the other thread because of one strident voice in said thread. Stone's politics are (obviously) not for everyone but even if you don't agree with him, I think the series does raise some interesting points about the direction of the U.S. since WWII.

- Walter.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Walter Kittel said:
More Kat Dennings is a good thing. Admittedly it is probably the crudest show currently airing on television, but I watch 2 Broke Girls for Dennings, who breaks me up every week with her snarky Max Black character.

Russell - I watched Oliver Stone's Untold History series when it aired on cable and I definitely recommend a viewing. Frankly, I did not post this in the other thread because of one strident voice in said thread. Stone's politics are (obviously) not for everyone but even if you don't agree with him, I think the series does raise some interesting points about the direction of the U.S. since WWII.

- Walter.
Thanks for the tip Walter. I'll check it out. I mostly agree with where Stone is coming from Politics wise, to a point ha ha. I think he got unfairly creamed for JFK. Yeah, the theories are gonzo, but if you read Garrisons book and "Crossfire", Stone is right on the money adaptation wise in telling his story. Maybe they should of called it "Garrison"

I'm in for Thor 2 eventually! I loved the first film. The movie theaters around here have changed they show times to ones that are a pain in the ass for me on week nights, so I've not been going to the movies much. I missed Wolverine 2 completely. Carrie is at oddball filler slots so it's out, Gravity is only showing in 3D, so it's a pass. I guess I'll aim for Thor 2 and Bad Grandpa this weekend, weather and parents depending.

Nice to hear Thor 2 is a winner after the disappointment that Iron Man 3 : A Shitload of Iron Mans! was. I figured Marvel shot it's load with the Avengers movie and weren't going to salvage the series. The only one I'm actively looking forward to is Antman, and that's only because I love the director. Anyone watching the S.H.E.I.L.D television show?

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I also saw R.I.P.D. recently, not as terrible as critics make out, basically a supernatural Men in Black with 'deados' instead of aliens. Jeff Bridges and Ryan Reynolds are the undead heroes, only visible to us and other undead, to normal people they look like James "I just do eyes, just eyes" Hong and Testy pinup Marisa Miller. Worth a look if you're in the mood for something stupid.

View attachment 6266

Marisa Miller in R.I.P.D.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Russ, I haven't seen any Shield episodes, the reviews I saw were not good. I should give it a chance I suppose. I haven't seen Wolverine either. It's out on blu-ray in 2 weeks.

Attachments

• marisa-miller-perfect-blowout-in-ripd.jpg
    marisa-miller-perfect-blowout-in-ripd.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 28

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
For me Shield is a tough sell. A superhero show with no superheros. Now DC wants to do Gotham City, a Batman show without Batman.

Were people going to these movies to see Jarvis and Alfred or something?

Users who are viewing this thread