1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Testy Area 51

Discussion in 'Testing' started by Steve Christou, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    So basically it's just the part that's different.

2. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Probably pretty obvious that the guy who looks like he belongs at a dude ranch with Billy Crystal and Daniel Stern is the Governor of Oregon.

The guy who looks like he could spit nails with Jack Palance is Butch.

3. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Yep that photo of a rodeo cowboy roping a calf is Idaho Governor Butch Otter. That photo was taken in 2010 when he was only 68 years old.

[​IMG]

I tried to find a photo of NY gov. Cuomo on a horse, but google only returned comparisons with equine posterior anatomy.

4. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

5. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    Saw What Maisie Knew this weekend. Thought it was very good with great performances. Some people really shouldn't be parents.

Also saw The East. It was pretty good.

Watched the blu-ray of Dirty Mary Crazy Larry yesterday. I hadn't seen it in ages and loved seeing it again. I still remembered so much of the dialogue. I was able to find the TV version only scenes online and wish they had been included on the blu-ray. The featurette was interesting, and Hough, Fonda and George seemed to have such nice memories of the filming.

6. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Oh yeah! Dirty Larry Crazy Maries! That was a good one. I bought the double feature disc on DVD a year or more before that bluray came out. The JERKS! It's a good one, though Race The Devil was my reason for purchasing, that's a GREAT movie! WArren Oats was a pretty good actor huh? Did you all see Two-Lane Blacktop? That's a good one too.

I watched Cyclone yesterday. If you were ever wanting a movie that starred Heather Thomas, academy award winner Martin Landau and a couple of Bowery Bows, this one is for you! They even throw in the Re-Animator at no extra cost! The movie isn't very GOOD, but it has some pretty great car stunts at the end and is one of stunt man Dar Robinsons last films.

7. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    I saw Race with the Devil way back when but I don't remember it very well. I have the double feature Blu with DMCL, so I'll have to see it again one day. I have Two-Lane Blacktop but have not seen it yet.

So, are you all seeing Pacific Rim this weekend? I'll probably see it, but I'm not too enthused about it somehow.

8. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Since del Toro is involved, I'm hoping for a more intelligent version of the Transformers films. It is doing pretty well on Metacritic with only two reviews below 60. I probably won't get to the film until next week.

It certainly looks like the type of film that needs to be experienced on the big screen with the theater audio turned to 11.

- Walter.

9. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    I'm up for Pacific Rim! But not this weekend, I probably wont get to it until my Staycation in a couple weeks. I want to get in this and World War ZZZZZZZZZZZ.

10. Dave Upton

Dave Upton Owner
    Owner

Dave Upton
    I will be venturing forth for Pacific Rim on Saturday. I'll be sure to report back to all of you here :) Sent from my SGH-I747 using HTF mobile app

11. Dave Upton

Dave Upton Owner
    Owner

Dave Upton
    No posts in two days, don't tell me I killed the thread!

On a film related note - has anyone managed to see the very low budget "A Hijacking"?

I really want to see this one, but even in Houston I can't find a showtime.

12. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    Sounds like the kind of film I'd like, but "A Hijacking" has not come here. This week's new openings at the "arthouse" are "20 Feet from Stardom" and "Unfinished Song" (neither of which I plan to see).

13. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Seeing how I've never heard of those movies, they are not on my to see list.

14. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

It is the type of film that might play at one of the downtown theaters, but a quick google search turned up empty. It sounds interesting to be sure. I believe the last film I saw in downtown Houston was at the Angelika (which unfortunately closed a little over three years ago.) The Landmark River Oaks theater or possibly the AMC Studio 30 on Dunvale are probably the best bets if the film ever screens in Houston.

- Walter.

15. Dave Upton

Dave Upton Owner
    Owner

Dave Upton
    Thanks Walter, will certainly keep that in mind.

Just got home from seeing Pacific Rim, and I'll admit - I found it surprisingly enjoyable. Pure popcorn, but it manages to be epic 90% of the time vs. corny. Also - I'm a big fan of Ramin Djawadi's scores, and this one is quite good - reminiscent of the first Iron Man. Overall - 4.25/5.

16. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Calling Dr. Joseph Howard...

17. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    I saw Pacific Rim this weekend. It was very cliched and predictable, right down to the mid-credits sequence. I enjoyed beardless (and shirtless) Charlie Hunnam and his chemistry with Rinko Kikuchi. The one standout sequence of the film actually relied on an actress' performance and our empathy rather than special effects. The sequence which sets up the Raleigh/Mako dynamic is also extremely well done -- again, no special effects.

I think I've become a little blasé about CGI and fancy visuals and am looking for a little more originality in characterizations and narrative. Basically, this is a mega budget rock-em sock-em robot and monsters movie.

18. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
  19. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    I liked Pacific Rim, but it isn't the best film I've seen this year. I would have enjoyed it a lot more if I was half the age I am now. The effects were top notch as you would expect but I would have preferred some of the action to be in broad daylight and without rain. I remember reading a news story where George Lucas sneered at Roland Emmerich's Godzilla because it was constantly raining in that film (the effects were not by ILM). But they did do the FX for Pacific Rim and there is a lot of rain in this film too.

The problem with seeing huge robots fight the monsters is that they diminish the scale and scariness of these alien creatures (from another dimension). All they had to do was drop a nuke on each one that emerges from the sea.

Stay a minute or two during the credits for some bonus footage.

Recommended 4 out of 5.

Wolverine next.

Spoiler alert

Looking back on the big finish, wasn't it very similar to The Avengers? But down instead of up? :3dglasses:

pacificrim.jpg

20. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    Kind of an odd thing happened. I was in a store today and picked up a metal movie poster of what appears to be John Wayne's first Warner Bros. picture.

John Wayne Duke Horse.jpg

Here he isn't called "Duke": his horse is....

I had to check this out and found out that Marrion Morrison had a big dog named "Duke" when he was a child. Some adults called him "Little Duke" and the name stuck with him for his life. I guess he got to name the horse after the dog and himself too.

Shades of Henry "Indiana" Jones being named for the dog.