What's new

Testy Area 51 (2 Viewers)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Saw "Star Trek Into Darkness" a few days ago. Enjoyed it a lot. I tried to see "Fast and Furious 6" today but it was jam-packed and I didn't want to sit in the first few rows. The next showing was already sold out. I could have paid $15-ish for the "fancy" auditorium, but decided it wasn't my movie day today. Might try tomorrow and go really early.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Saw "Fast 6" today. It was pretty good, though I could have used less Michelle Rodriguez. My jaw dropped in the final minute when we see who the villain in #7 will be.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I watched Jack Reacher tonight. A totally enjoyable film. Kinda by-the-numbers...plot twists-and-turns...but a fun popcorn flick.

I have no basis of comparison with the novels...so having Tom Cruise in the role didn't bother me a bit.

And I liked Rosamund Pike in her role, too.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Didn't watch quite as much as I would have liked to this weekend, but did manage to squeeze in:

The Great Escape - The film really holds up. I wish the Blu-Ray transfer was a little bit better.
It wasn't an awful transfer, but it was inconsistent and was softer in some portions than I would
have preferred. Watchable, but it could've been better.

An Officer and a Gentleman - Something I haven't watched in a long, long time. It was
very enjoyable revisiting this film. The performances and direction elevate this film above its
story elements which are pretty standard. The Blu-ray transfer was a thing of beauty. I really
love older catalog titles with pristine transfers, such as this one.

- Walter.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
On this Memorial Day 2013, I watched Mrs. Miniver.

It is the first time I have ever watched the 1942 Best Picture winner.

Greer Garson was gorgeous. Walter Pidgeon was his usual serviceable self. And it was fun to see Teresa Wright (Pride of the Yankees), Henry Travers (It's a Wonderful Life) and Dame May Whitty (The Lady Vanishes) in other roles. The film must've really struck a chord with American audiences with its depiction of life in Europe during the bombings of WWII. I found it quite moving. My wife--not so much.

mrs.+miniver.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't know how...but I neglected to report that my wife and I also took time, this weekend, to watch the recent Blu release of Driving Miss Daisy.

We were quickly reminded what an absolutely outstanding film it is. It strikes all the right notes (save, perhaps, the now rather dated "80s orchestrations to Hans Zimmer's delightful score): the screenplay, direction, and performances...all top notch. So much was done with so little.

All those things came together so beautifully that my wife and I were both stunned afterwards with how much we both felt we knew about the characters portrayed by Jessica Tandy and Morgan Freeman. My wife was left with tears in her eyes as the final scene of the film played out--a scene which really went to bring home, in a very basic way, how much these characters had really come to trust and love each other.

How wonderful it is to watch a film that is something that can move you so powerfully and delicately all at the same time.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I watched Stolen over the weekend. It's a Nic Cage movie. Nuff said! 2.5/5

Also watched The Telephone Book, and bizarre sex comedy from 1971. Surprisingly good for what it is, about a girl who falls in love with an obscene phone caller. The whole thing was weird. Good stuff. 3.5/5

1348168914-the-telephone-book-2.jpg

I think I'm finally going to Star Drek Into the Dumbness on Friday. I should write for Mad Magazine.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I'm currently watching a 3D edition of Gamer, a 2009 film starring Gerard Butler, from what I've read they couldn't afford to film it in 3D four years ago, but converting 2D films to 3D has since become very affordable. Problem is the camera is always on the move in Gamer so the 3D is dizzying, which is a shame because some of it is pretty effective.

Would you believe a 3D conversion of The Wizard of Oz has been prepared and will be released on blu-ray later in the year! The horror! Won't be long before Gone With the Wind and Ben-Hur are out in 3D.

I am looking forward to House of Wax (1953) in 3D which should be out soon. At least that really was made with 3D in mind.

house-of-wax.jpg

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I watched "In Her Skin" starring Guy Pearce and Miranda Otto yesterday in the true story of a missing teenager. It had some really disturbing parts. Also watched "Compliance". OK, I don't know if the extent of the events depicted were accurate, but come on people -- how gullible are you?!?

I plan to see "Now You See Me" this weekend. And it appears that "Before Midnight" opens here on June 14!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Going back to "Fast 6" -- I'm going to have to watch these in order one day. I think I've only seen 4, 5 and 6. I did not realize "Tokyo Drift" actually happens way in the future after some of the films that came out afterward. So I know I'm missing a lot of the background of the characters, but they stand alone as action films.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Steve, House of Wax and Creature From The Black Lagoon are the only movies that make me sad that I can't see 3D.

You all realize that by going to the stupid Fast and Furious movies you just encourage them to make more right? I'm waiting for the one where Paul and Vin throw caution to the wind and just fuck each other silly. That's the only direction that series can take! :P

My problem with Now You See Me is that the magic is so ridiculous and over the top via CGI that it looks annoying. I mean, actual magic by master magicians can be a tough sell, having a bunch of actors CGI magic just looks stupid and far to unbelievable to get into.

The magic movie I'm wanting is Deceptive Practice: The Mysteries and Mentors of Ricky Jay. A documentary. Ricky Jay changed my life.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Russell G said:
You all realize that by going to the stupid Fast and Furious movies you just encourage them to make more right? I'm waiting for the one where Paul and Vin throw caution to the wind and just fuck each other silly. That's the only direction that series can take! :P
That would bring to mind the old Abbott and Costello routine "Who's on top?"

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Russell G said:
I'd see that. :P

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Elizabeth S said:
I just realized my "Extended Edit" doesn't show (although it is still in my profile under "Group").
Hey! What's the big idea with the forum taking away Liz's special status before giving ME a special status?!?!? ATTICA!! ATTICA!! ATTICA!

Hey! Remember the slagging I gave that magic movie earlier today? I snagged a pass to see a sneak preview on Thursday. Ha! I hope I don't ruin it for everyone when I loudly go "PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT!" after every CGI trick. Maybe it will be good? It has Mark Ruffalo in it, he's great. He can save this movie, I hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.