What's new

TEST: Polk's audiophile loudspeakers (1 Viewer)

Hanwook_K

Stunt Coordinator
It turns out the soundwaves in Tri-county has the LSi9. So I'm going to go over and have a listen. The only problem is that I hate paying MSRP. I'll let you know what I think compared to the two. The nOrh 6.9 actually use the vifa tweeter as well. The nOrh 9.0 had the scanspeak revelator tweeter which is supposed to be another level of detailed and smoother. The nOrh 9.0 also went down to 33hz (-3db). It is a little hard to place, but if you could get five of the nOrh marble 9.0 in one room I suspect that it is one kick butt system. the nOrhs had a great soundstage and disappeared - it really envloped me just with two speakers.

I need to figure out a way to sneak out of work.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Can't you tell I like LotR... I have since I was in 7th grade :)
Hanwook, Hopefully they'll negotiate, I hate paying MSRP as well...
Brian

Hanwook_K

Stunt Coordinator
Soundwaves had them in for $899.00. I listened to both the LSI7 and the LSI9. Unfortunately, they were just sitting there without any music. So I asked how long they have been playing and they said the LSI7 have never played and the LSI9 on and off since yesterday. IN short there were not broken in - and they were harsh sounding.

All in all, I was impressed even thought Polk Audio went out and got the tweeter and mid-drivers and put it in their own box. The 9 had a lot more midrange thus making it overall very balanced. The 7 seemed bright. The 9 was extremely dynamic and tight. The high frequencies were a harsh but detailed. The sound stage seemed narrow. I toed the speakers in which improved the imaging dramatically. I'm not going to compare it to the nOrh 9.0 because it's an unfair comparison. The Polks were not broken in the speaker placement wasn't correct. It just bothers me sales people don't know too much about speakers especially $1000 range speakers. But he was extremely nice.

Bottomline is I liked what I heard a lot. And as it breaks in the sound is going to get smoother and soundstage even wider. If the soundstage does get much wider I don't think I'll miss too much replacing the nOrh 9.0 marbles.

I hoping to get back and listen in a few weeks...

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Frank,
What did she hide all the credit cards too??? :)
Hanwook,
That's too bad they hadn't been played much :frowning: I really like the soundstage I'm getting. Hopefully they'll be played more by the time you can go back and listen to them.
Brian

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Hanwook,

If they don't give you any good pricing go to the Soundwaves in Centerville. That's where I got mine from. Ask for Tim Stacey, the asst. mgr. He's a great guy to deal with.

Troy

Hanwook_K

Stunt Coordinator
I have a pair of LSi9 cherry on order .... I need to cut back spending money I don't have on the things I don't need :)

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Hanwook_K,
I'm sure (and I hope) you'll like them as much as I like my set up. Not to mention the wood panels an the LSi's are just (IMHO) wickedly nice.
I need to cut back spending money I don't have on the things I don't need :)
But where's the fun in that??? I'd still be watching movies on a 20" TV with a $300 reciever if this were the case ;)
Brian

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Alex & Troy,

Are you guys telling me these Polks are better than Sonus faber Concerto Homes and compete with the likes of Aeriel and B&W?

How good is the midbass in the LSi9 and 15 and what are the online prices, hopefully with a dealer that has a return policy.

I wen to my local dealer to hear the NHT's again and since they were on Polk's website I thought I might see them there, but they are phasing out Polk and don't plan to get the LSi. How would you compare the LSi15 to NHT VT-2.4 and 2.9's? The 2.9's are very good but are more forward sounding (ie 1st row) while my Sonus faber Signums are a little more laid-back.

Also, can you use the LSi9 as also the center in an LCR setup? I'm wondering if this is better than the center version.

Gil

GeorgeK

Auditioning
I think the LSI 9's may be sold as a pair only, because of the different tweeter placement for left and right speaker. I have been thinking about buying a 7 channel setup of these speakers myself, and will have a chance to hear them next week. I also have thought about the possibility of using the LSI 9 as a front LCR combination. I suppose if I did this I would have to buy a second pair of 9's and try to sell the extra one.

GeorgeK

Auditioning
I just took the plunge and brought home a full 7 channel LSI rig (LSI-15 mains, LSIC center, FX sides, LSI-7 rears).

I have the LSI-15's hooked up to a Bryston 250 wpc amp right now, won't be hooking up the rest until my number comes up in the Outlaw 950 lottery.

The LSI-15 is one very impressive sounding speaker. I have been listening to orchestral soundtrack music for the last couple of hours. The detail and imaging are excellent, and the bass is quite satisfying as well. These absolutely DEMOLISH my old monitor 10B's. I also had a chance at the dealer to A-B them against a pair of pinnacle aerogel full towers. It was no contest. The 15's ANNIHILATED the pinnacles. The mid and upper frequencies of the polk just seemed so lush and full against the pinnacle, which sounded kind of thin and brassy.

I agonized quite a bit about the choice between the 9's and 15's as main channels. The 9's sounded VERY nice as well. I just felt I wanted the greater range of the 15's and I guess I am just partial to the look of a tall floorstanding speaker.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Troy & Hanwook,
Hello my fello south west Ohioians, I've found about 3 or 4 other HTF members up here, we are trying to get some members together that are in the southwest Ohio area and try to get some type of organization going. Have some meets, tweak sessions, you name it. If either of you guys are interested or have already gotten the ball rolling there are definitely some additional members interested.
Sorry to just bust into ya'lls thread with a different topic:b

Gil D

Supporting Actor
George,

I'm still agonizing over ordering the 9's or 15's. I think I'm going to try the 9's since the shipping is 1/3 the price of the heavy 15's, just in case they don't agree with me. But I really think I will like them given the reviews.

Did you find improvement in the 15's in the mid-bass and midrange over the 9's? Also, how boomy or loose is the bass in the 15's. The 9's seem to drop off at just below 60Hz -3dB from some review measurements I have seen.

Any direct comparisons to the Sonus fabers?

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Ouch, I never thought about how much it would cost to ship these babies... just moving the 15s into my house was hard enough.

George,

How does the combination of 7's and F/X's work for your rear soundstage. That seams like a real neat combo. And do you have them set up for 5.1 audio? If so I'm guessing you'd use the 7's and not the F/X's in that role.

Brian

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Hanwook,
Todays the 17th... did your 9's show up on the 14th as expected? Perhaps you're enjoying them too much to post ;)
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks