What's new

Terrell Davis retires at age 29. (1 Viewer)

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I don't have to belittle anyones career to make Terrell Davis' look better, TD's accomplishments speak for themselves. I was just pointing out that Gale Sayers is in the HOF with a short career and Terrell Davis has accomplished more in his short career.

People say TD had the OL and Elway etc but Montana had Rice and Taylor, Craig etc, does that take away from Montana and Rices accomplishments and status in the game? No. E. Smith was bleased with a great team around him too but that doesn't take away from the fact that E. Smith is one of the greatest RB's of all-time.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Bruce, didn't Terrell Davis prove he was head and shoulders above everyone else when he was rushing for 2,000 yards, and having stats that only a few RB's have had? When TD was healthy he was the best player in the game(97 and 98) and proved he was as good as the all-time greats. He was spectacular, beautiful to watch.

Now I don't know if he should be in the HOF, if he would of been able to play the last 3 years I think he would of been a lock.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
No offense to Davis, but Gale Sayers redefine the role of an all-purpose halfback with sprinter speed and a slashing running style who can run, catch the ball out of the backfield, return punts and kickoffs. Sayers came along with his exciting running style while arguably the greatest running back in history, Jim Brown, retired at the top of his game not due to injury, but a desire to do other things in his life. This succession of great backs helped professional football maintain it's momentum in becoming the most popular American sport due to a successful NFL/AFL merger, Monday Night Football, establishment of the sporting event of the year called the Super Bowl, and raising stars like Joe Namath and O.J. Simpson.

Sayers influence extended to generations of running backs that followed him and then pattern their style of running after him.

Crawdaddy

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
According to some of you guys, popularity seems to be the deciding factor (more than anything else) of who gets into the Hall of Fame. Terrell Davis and Barry Sanders both get honorary mentions in my book, but Hall of Fame?...I don't think so.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
didn't Terrell Davis prove he was head and shoulders above everyone else when he was rushing for 2,000 yards, and having stats that only a few RB's have had?
Nope. I will agree that three more years at the level he was playing in 98 would've made him far more eligible, but still not a lock. Don't get me wrong. I loved watching the guy play-he was beautiful to watch. But, he didn't sustain it. I should have added in my last post: Prove you can do it for a long time. I would say, to me, eight years would be the minimum. If you can put up consistently great numbers for at least 8 years, you have hopes for a HoF induction. Not a shoo-in, just consideration. I do cut running backs slack because that is a punishing position to play, but I still don't see Terrel as having made that big of an impact on the game. Without having the years and overall numbers, it comes down to what has he done to change or evolve the game. He didn't.

Bruce

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Whether he deserves to or not, I wouldn't mind seeing Terrell Davis in the Hall of Fame.

That Earl Campbell thing was pretty sad. What guys do out of pride and in the name of masculinity.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
If Davis goes to the Hall they had better put up a giant group photo of Denver's offensive line right next to his.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
For what it's worth, however, I believe guys like Brett Favre are borderline as far as Hall of Fame goes, so perhaps my standards are too stringent.
You got to be kidding me. Favre is the only player to win 3 straight MVP awards. He has been to the Super Bowl twice and won once. He has consistently put up huge numbers with mediocre receivers. Most importantly he has one of the two records that will never be broken in sports, 160+ (and still going) consecutive starts at the QB position. The other record being the hit streak in baseball. If you think Favre is borderline, then QBs like Phil Simms better get the hell out of the Hall of Fame. Favre is one of the best QB's to ever play the game, period.

-Dean-

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Terrell Davis and Barry Sanders both get honorary mentions in my book, but Hall of Fame?...I don't think so.
OK, this thread is getting silly. I can understand TD not going to the Hall, he just did not play long enough, but Barry Sanders? Did you ever see him play? The man was on the verge of smashing the rushing record, and he never had an offensive line that compared to Denver's, Dallas', or even some of Walter's lines. The man did everything himself. He rushed for over 2000 yards in a season with a very mediocre line. Barry Sanders is the most amazing football player I have ever seen play, the man caused players to blow their knees out just trying to tackle him. Barry wasn't that big and he was a workhorse. He played for a shit team and always put up huge numbers. It will be a long time before you see someone at the RB position who has the natural instincts and ability of a Barry Sanders.

-Dean-

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'd give the nod to Brett Favre and probably Barry Sanders. Terrell Davis doesn't get into the HoF if I had a vote.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Dean,
Kevin offered the "Barry Sanders is not worthy of the Hall of Fame" in another thread. I think he was a lone voice in that one, too. He (and Favre) are easily first ballot Hall of Famers. Terrell Davis, on the other hand, is borderline. People are offering great arguments on both sides for/against his future induction.
I do agree that some past inductees are questionable, and probably got there only because of who they played for. A few Steelers from those great '70's Super Bowl teams come to mind. I think the only guy from that team not in the Hall is the water boy. :)

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Terrell Davis and Barry Sanders both get honorary mentions in my book, but Hall of Fame?...I don't think so.
TD - no HoF. Sanders - will get in the HoF w/o a doubt. What Sanders did with the pathetic offensive lines Detroit had is nothing short of spectacular. Put him behind the lines of Denver or Dallas and the Yds Rushing record would now stand at 25,000+.

While he may (not) be HoF material, TD was a fun back to watch. Power and grace, a great combo.

edit - thanks to Dome for catching the "y" that was intended to be an "h"

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I think he was making a reference to There's Something About Mary, in which case the correct pronounciation is Fav-er-ra. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks