What's new

Terra Nova: season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
This show is lucky it is scheduled for only 13 episodes because I think Fox might let it ride out. If it were scheduled for 22 episodes I think Fox would pull the glug. After 2 episodes I think the Shannons did make a mistake leaving old earth.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Steve Berger said:
At 8/7C PM, you are not going to get "edgy". You get family fare.
Terra Nova airs against "How I Met Your Mother" and "2 Broke Girls". Sitcoms, but not exactly family fare there.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
my wife really enjoyed it. I thought was okay. I had these problems:

* It wasn't violent enough. The girl who ran from the transport should have been dead. the boy should have lost his leg in one chomp. These dinos are no worse than stray dogs.

* Clunky narrative. "Here's where we state there's a Mystery Arc so you'll tune in next week."

* Effects were high quality, but my expectations were much higher.

* How does a segment (6'ers) one tenth the size of whole installation not be overwhelmed and shut down already?

I'll watch again and see if it goes anywhere.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
err... were'nt they concerned when they built the place that the flying reptiles might get them? Seems like a major omission, need a sonic umbrella over the place. I can see my patience wearing with this series, I just don't care about the weenie teenage angst stories, I like Jason'oMara from his Life on Mars Days, but he's not enough. What will happen First will I tire of this show or will Fox deep six it. and If they do , will they save enough to Bring Back the Superior Lie to Me and Chicago Code ? Next week is the Old Sci Fi Standby a Mysterious Illness strike the Compound.. Hey can Braga put holodecks in here so we can have an Episode with a James Bond theme?

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
The writing seems very basic with characters and plot developments very simple. You can tell Brannon Braga has something to do with this. Like Voyager, it goes through the motions but doesn't really have to say. Horrible show.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I like it. Sure, the second episode doesn't have the scope or gloss of the pilot, but I didn't expect it to. I think it's a fine, exciting, family-oriented Sci-Fi show. Not every show needs "edge". Frankly, It's hard to find a show that the whole family can watch together these days.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
It's certainly a polarizing show with just two sides, you either love it or hate it. For me, I REALLY hate this show for a number of reasons. First, NBC should learn not to put politics into their shows like they always seem to do. The same thing happened with "The Event" and others, they try to get on their soap box and it turns people off, especially if you have conflicting views. Second, the acting is dreadful with all the kids in it. It may have better scenes if they went with something a lot more adult and hard hitting, but the stories have way too many kids in it that are doing all the usual things to mess up. There's nothing intelligent with their characters, just the typical teen and children types you see on nearly every show. Third, is the whole concept that seems like it was just pieced together from several different shows for a lame plot the show centers around. Many have seen this sort of thing many times and I can't believe this is the best they can come up with. The show was discussed on a podcast recently and they had several people in the chat room commenting during the show, you either love it or hate it and this is not a show for me for sure. I really don't see it lasting very long, maybe this year but doubtful it gets another unless something changes.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Originally Posted by Jeffery_H

It's certainly a polarizing show with just two sides, you either love it or hate it.

I don't love it or hate it. I'm somewhere in the middle...could take it or leave it.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
So far so... awful. The plot for the second episode felt like something from the comic book Xenozoic Tales, but the dialog and acting was like something from Heroes. The show has no style or feel -- it's just noisy and lumbering and has a real SyFy Original Movie brain deadness about it.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I finally watched the first two episodes this week. I don't think I'm ready for another "Lost" yet, so I actually appreciate the simplicity and the fact that it is family safe so far. My curiosity is peaked and I'll keep watching for now.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Personally, I thought it was such a huge quality drop from the pilot to the second episode that I think I'm only going to give it another episode or two. I mean, I expected a difference with all the money and time spent on the pilot, but as I thought the pilot was decent but not great, dropping so far in the second episode means I don't think I'll be keeping with it for long.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
JimKr said:
Dunno about this show, but House is on Fox and made by Universal Studios, aka NBC.
Something this expensive, you can bet that it's an in-house production. Since Spielberg's producing, Amblin also gets a cut.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Wife: "I want to like Terra Nova, but they're making it really hard."

I was expecting BSG, but I got ST:TNG S1. It's okay; big-budget, junior-high adventure. I'd rather watch this for the dinos that sit through Glee. It reminds me of Airwolf from when I was a kid, which is awesome if you're 13, but not as engaging at 40. On the flip side, this is probably a decent family show, which could not be said of BSG.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
The dune buggies they drive around in, on Terra Nova, reminds me of the film Megaforce. Probably not what they were going for. It doesn't look like the show is expensive, judging by the first episode (not the pilot). Kids with spare time make dinosaur CGI that is just as good (i.e., middling). I will give them credit for making the outdoor area of the campsite town look very much as it were actually outside. It is probably inside a studio. But it looks, convincingly, as if it is outdoors.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
This hits the nail on the head. My kids love it. I guess I'll think of it as "Lost in Space" level fun; it's light camp, goofy with better then normal effects.

There are some shows like that. Remember was it, Dinosaurs (Not the Mamma!) I never got that, but every Jr. High and younger kid I knew then LOVED that show. This is trending into that action-adventure category

Originally Posted by DaveF

Wife: "I want to like Terra Nova, but they're making it really hard."

I was expecting BSG, but I got ST:TNG S1. It's okay; big-budget, junior-high adventure. I'd rather watch this for the dinos that sit through Glee. It reminds me of Airwolf from when I was a kid, which is awesome if you're 13, but not as engaging at 40. On the flip side, this is probably a decent family show, which could not be said of BSG.

/t/304951/terra-nova-season-1-thread/30#post_3858542

Stan

Senior HTF Member
It's enjoyable to see shows like this. There has obviously been a lot of time and money spent on putting this together, so hopefully it's been given a lot of thought as to the storyline and will get ten or more episodes to find its audience. Unlike new sitcoms and easy to produce dramas that can be dumped on a moments notice, this should be around a while. Alphas and Falling Skies succeded and will return. Flash Forward and V ultimately didn't really work, but at least they were given time to see if they could. Terra Nova is a little like BBCs Outcasts last summer, but that was much darker and was already doomed to eight episodes so was hard to really enjoy. Terra Nove is defnitely more of a family show, but sci-fi doesn't always need to be so deep and thought provoking, just good old-fashioned fun and adventure is nice for a change.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks