What's new

Terminator SE Easter Eggs? (1 Viewer)

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I just don't see the point in Easter Eggs at all. I love getting DVDs with extra content, but I often don't watch all of it, and I'm certainly not going to spend a lot of time trying to hunt it down. Also, I don't want to have a computer handy when I'm watching a DVD so I can find out if it has extras that aren't listed. Easter Eggs do nothing to advance sales, in fact it probably hinders them. If I were shopping based on extras, and I didn't know something had stuff because it was hidden, that would lower my value of that disc.
Also, why would someone want to specifically hide their work? That doesn't make sense. They go to the trouble to make these interviews or whatever, then they hide it so you have to go out and do research to find out if anything is there. I went to one of the sites mentioned in this thread, and found out a lot of DVDs I have have a bunch of easter eggs. If the people who made these wanted them to be seen, they're failing miserably. I don't read all the reviews of every DVD I have, and I don't hunt for an easter egg unless I know it to be there, so I'm rarely going to get to see this stuff. I'm sure I'm not the only one with DVDs sitting around that have stuff I don't know about.
I don't mind the occasional funny ones that don't provide any insight to the movie. I think those are cute gimmicks and are ok, like the martini easter egg on one James Bond DVD. But please don't hide the useful stuff, because I and many others will most likely never hear about it.

Jim Bivins

Stunt Coordinator
I mean no offense to those who dislike easter eggs, but I am reminded of a saying...you can't see the forrest for the trees!
Easter eggs are add on's, they usually consist of last minute additions. I rarely seek out EE's, but I find the Terminator DVD to be full of great ones. I will spend $30 on a bare-bones disc and $20 for a fully loaded 2-disc special edition...I buy disc's for the movie, whether it has sups or not...certainly, I prefer extra's.
Those are my thoughts
Jim
patriot.gif

Derrick_Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Jim. It's not like the EE haters are being tied to a chair to find all the EEs before they can watch the movie. And it's not like you're paying extra for them. EEs or no EEs, it doesn't really matter to me, but c'mon I'd rather bitch about something worth while, like forced trailers before the menu. Now those I can do without!
------------------
Derrick Ellis
www.djderricke.com
[email protected]

Shane D

Supporting Actor
easter eggs are ok to me, as long as they are the ones you can find with clicks of the directional key, i dont like the ones you have to imput number codes or what have you,
and id MUCH rather have easter eggs on discs then WINDOWS ONLY dvd-rom crap. to me that is stupid. everything shoudl be accessible from ALL set-top players and all operating systems
------------------

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
If the easter eggs were in the menus, that would actually add to the value of the disc, as everyone would know its there, and then they could be listed as features. As for being last minute add-ons, I don't buy that logic. If that were the case, you'd only be able to access them by using the title/chapter keys. Most of these are embedded in various menu screens, which means they put more work into hiding them then they did the other extras. Now that's stupid. Easter eggs raise the cost of the dvd production, and lower the value. Again, its just stupid.
But as I mentioned, I don't spend much time worrying about these. I just think its sad that so much work is going into something that isn't going to be enjoyed by most people. Its not a matter of being lazy, I'm just opposed to searching on the web for every DVD I buy to see if there's more on there. Most of the DVDs have their extras clearly labeled and accessible. Now that makes sense.
As for the DVD-ROM content, I agree, that should go to. Put the extras where I can get to them while its in the player. I'm not going to work at finding something on the DVD unless I just happen to hear that something cool is hidden on there.
I believe all DVDs should be user-friendly. You shouldn't be forced to watch something you don't want to see, and you should be able to easily enjoy all aspects of the disc that you want too.

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator
quote: Originally posted by Kevin Leonard:
(Go to Chapters 13 - 16 and highlight "Main Menu." Then press down to highlight another small box.)
TITLE 2 CHAP 16 - Brad Fiedel talks about the film's score.
TITLE 2 CHAP 17 - William Wisher talks about the editing of the script and the film.
TITLE 2 CHAP 18 - William Wisher talks about the novelization.
TITLE 2 CHAP 19 - William Wisher and James Cameron talk about their collaboration on the screenplay.[/quote]
I found a few more last night:
Go to chapters 21 -24 and highlight "Main Menu." Then press down to highlight the small box).
Here you will find 2 or 3 more snippets from James Cameron. In one he talks about how impressed he was with Linda Hamilton's fullfilling the prophecy of the first film by transforming her body into that of a warrior.
In another snippet he talks about how he got the job directing ALIENS.
Go to chapters 25 -28 and highlight "Main Menu." Then press down to highlight the small box).
Here you get one more snippet from Cameron. You also will find a text article written by the guy who wrote the novelizations of the two films. The article is on the history of Time Travel stories in print and film. Pretty cool.
I am writing this from memory so I can tell you that I am certain of the location of the eggs, but there might be more/less material than I wrote above.
Enjoy.
------------------
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~drashforth/_uimages/flaggif
"Historians of science have long said: A body of knowledge that does not fit in with prevailing ideas, will be ignored as if it does not exist, no matter how scientifically valid it is."
My Spare time larcenists
The worst HT in America.
[Edited last by Jeff Ashforth on October 05, 2001 at 09:54 AM]

Terry H

Second Unit
Also, why would someone want to specifically hide their work? That doesn't make sense. They go to the trouble to make these interviews or whatever, then they hide it so you have to go out and do research to find out if anything is there. I went to one of the sites mentioned in this thread, and found out a lot of DVDs I have have a bunch of easter eggs. If the people who made these wanted them to be seen, they're failing miserably.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I've found 6 easter egg access points on the disc. There's a lot of misinformation out there about the locations of the eggs and the number of eggs available from each point. I just popped the disc into my DVD-ROM drive moments ago and confirmed that these are the locations. Remember, the segments are played randomly, so here are the locations and descriptions, in no particular order:
Scene Selections 13-16: Press "down" on "Main Menu"
Brad Fiedel discusses scoring without temp music (1:15)
Bill Wisher discusses the impact of budgetary constraints on screenwriting (1:03)
Bill Wisher and James Cameron discuss their collaboration on the screenplay (1:39)
Bill Wisher discusses writing the novelization with Randall Frakes (0:55)
James Cameron discusses his relationship with producer Gail Ann Hurd (1:23)
Scene Selections 25-28: Press "down" on "Main Menu"
James Cameron discusses working with Stan Winston (:47)
James Cameron discusses the risks of filmmaking with little experience (1:09)
James Cameron discusses writing "Aliens" and "Rambo: First Blood II" during a delay in the production of "The Terminator" (2:47)
James Cameron discusses using his own money to complete the final reel of the film (1:43)
James Cameron discusses Linda Hamilton's transformation between "The Terminator" and "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" (:29)
Scene Selections 29-32: Press "down" on "Main Menu"
James Cameron discusses the possibility of his creations becoming scientific reality (:55)
James Cameron discusses the marketing of the film (1:19)
James Cameron discusses the Terminator's antihero status (:51)
James Cameron discusses the film's many layers (2:43)
"Chrono-Surfing: A Brief History Of Time Travel by Randall Frakes (co-author of the TERMINATOR novelization and author of the TERMINATOR 2 novelization) (48 pages)
Special Features: Press "down" on "Resume Film"
Michael Beihn discusses his research for his role (:35)
Gale Ann Hurd, James Cameron and Brad Fiedel discuss producing the film in mono (2:19)
Michael Biehn discusses how James Cameron works with actors (:51)
Brad Fiedel and James Cameron discuss the impact of the film's distinctive score (1:35)
Brad Fiedel discusses the use of synthesizers in the score (1:53)
Special Features: DVD ROM Features: Press "right" on "main menu"
Mark Goldblatt discusses the recasting of the young boy in the final scene (1:15)
Gene Warren Jr. discusses James Cameron's vision of the Future War sequences (1:03)
Bill Wisher discusses his cameo as a police officer in the film (1:35)
Mark Goldblatt discusses reshooting the "punk" scene (:25)
Gene Warren Jr., Joe Viskocil and James Cameron discuss using in-camera effects (1:19)
Languages: Press "right" on "Francais"
Stan Winston discusses how he came to work on "The Terminator (2:07)
Michael Biehn discusses using a stuntman (:25)
Michael Beihn discusses the impact of insect spraying during the production of "The Terminator" (:35)
Mark Goldblatt and James Cameron discuss the editing process on "The Terminator" (2:19)
Mark Goldblatt and Michael Biehn discuss the deletion of two sequences involving a subplot that was later used in the sequel (1:35)
[Edited last by Bill GrandPre on October 05, 2001 at 09:09 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks