What's new

Terminator 3: Rise Of The Machines...HD-DVD (2 Viewers)

Dave>h

Second Unit
I am torn with this title.

I didn't think the movie was all that great - I had a really tough time buying into the new guy as John Connor. It wasn't like Ed Furlong was doing anything with his life, why couldn't they get him? Have you seen the Crow 3?? And no Linda Hamilton?? Under the heading of "Where are you now?", Linda Hamilton ??? Hello?!?! What was the budget on this thing $175M and you couldn't convicne Ed and Linda to come on board for a an extra couple of Mill??? Oops, end of rant. Moving on...

That aside, it was pretty entertaining. A shadow of T2 and T1 but a good popcorn flick nonetheless. Seeing as I have HD DVD, I am sure it would be an excellent showcase for the system but do I buy a movie that I already own on SD DVD and have only watched once on that format, just to have it?

It is a dilemma.

Batman Returns - sold
Superman returns and supes 1 and 2 - sold
The Searchers - own it
Unforgiven - own it
Serenity - own it
T3 - not totally sold on it...

If it were t2 or even t1, it would be done already but those are only on Blu ray although maybe they will come out on HD DVD in Europe...

DAve

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I would love to know why T1 and T2 are not on HD-DVD?

Its rediculous that T1 and T2 got bad mpeg2 transfers and T3 is coming to HD-DVD. What is even more confusing is that the original Terminator got a lossless pcm track and T2 did not. If I remember correctly T1's audio was on the poor side so why give it a lossless PCM track. If I wanted to hear a DTS-ES version of T2 I could put my SD-DVD into my HD-A1 and upscale the picture as well. Why I spent good money on a poor quality Bluray transfer with no lossless audio track is beyond me.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Now we are getting T3 on a different HD format from the first two movies. And while it is a HD format, we still get stuck with the same thing basically that we got on the SD-DVD. :thumbsdown: However I wouldn't be suprised if while I am in the store I end up buying this title anyway. To WB I say, Bad Dog Bad Bad Dog :laugh:

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
The Blu-Ray release of T1 is in fact a PCM 5.1 track, and it's apparently the same remix found on the SD release.

And it and T2 aren't on HD-DVD because Sony/MGM and Lion's Gate aren't supporting the format.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
FINALLY got the shipping notice email from amazon and I read it correctly this time ;)...will arrive via 2 day free shipping (gotta love that amazon prime deal) on Friday!

Ahnuld in HD-DVD. 1080 resoWution. ;)

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Cool deal, Tim. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it. I'm sure it'll be a spectacular disc.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I made the mistake of ordering this via Amazon. Good price, but using the free shipping option means I won't get this until around October 5-7. :frowning:

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
It's the same deal for me, Rob. I'm bummed out because I ordered Land of the Dead along with T3, and I was really looking forward to watching that this weekend.

And the bad thing is, I consulted Best Buy online to check if my local store had either in stock, and they had neither. I actually went to the store today to pick up some other stuff, and they actually did have them in stock. Oh well. I saved myself about $10 through Amazon at least.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
You guys should sign up for Amazon Prime. The first 3 months is FREE and with that you get 2 day FREE shipping on most things. Incredible I tell you. :) And you can get overnight shipping for $3.99. :cool:

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I've thought about signing up for Prime, but I just don't know if I order enough from them to justify it. Super saving shipping is free, even though it takes longer. There's no doubt that Amazon is the place to buy HD-DVDs and BDs, especially with the 10% discount.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Think about this....you will save about $7-8 bucks per disc going thru Amazon and using the prime status.

However, once Target and Wmart really start carrying these, they usally sell for less than Best Buy, then this becomes a bit tougher. 19.99 for most HDs or 17.99....that's a pretty close deal there. And we'll get it the day of the release.

I don't work for amazon :) but I must say that I have been VERY impressed with their dealings with me regarding not only their Toshiba HD-DVD product and delivery, but also their movies. Slower on some and still some they say "not yet released" when they are indeed released.

Amazon might just be this format's biggest backer though so I can give them a break from time to time. :)

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Speaking of Wal-Mart, is it just me or is thier support really spotty? I've been to a couple who have a decent selection of titles, while other stores don't have any at all. One of the stores that actually had some had all non-combo discs for $20 even.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
At my walmart they have...lets see......NO HD-DVDs or Blu-Ray titles. Only online they tell me...:frowning:

Tom Pfarr

Agent
Went to my BB yesterday to get T3. Both BR and HD-DVD "displayed" in cardboard boxes on the floor. Had to get T3 from the back room. At least they had it.

On topic I thought the transfer was weak from an HD point of view. It did not look very different from the DVD upconverted. Maybe time for a new master....

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
My BB has both HD-DVD and Bluray displayed on the shelves in the DVD area. I was suprised that they dedicated some retail shelves for both formats. And took away space from SD-DVD's. At my local Frys they mixed both formats together on one shelf.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Same with both BB's in my area. They have a separate shelves next to the DVD's for both HD and BR. Haven't been to Fry's lately to check them out. One other change I have been seeing in the Best Buys over the last three or four weeks. Their pushing of BR over HD has died down drastically. Both stores now present both formats equally, and the sale force is not so quick to push the BR format. Interesting change.

Thomas Eisenmann

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
It appears that Amazon has raised the price on T3 from $ 19/99 to $ 21.99 (off 24%) and list availability as 6 to 13 days. From my experience and other threads it also appears that they have not filled pre-orders yet.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I think I'm going to cancel my Amazon order and just buy my titles locally. Sure I spend more but it's so worth it. Amazon flat out sucks! Every product I have ever ordered from them has been delayed for some reason or another.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks