What's new

Terminator 3 DVD Release (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Ooops for some reason I thought I remembered Terminator 1 being in DTS on dvd. But i guess it is a DD-EX mix :b

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
- T3
- Jones trilogy
- Finding Nemo
- LOTR:TTT EE

equals maga overtime at work in October.

ChrisA

Second Unit
I don't know about you guys, but I look forward to the HD-DVD releases of these films as well as the future audio track that goes along with HD-DVD which will either be much less lossily compressed or use lossless compression. Can't say I'm excited about DTS at the current rates or DD. I remember getting excited to some degree when DTS was at least not cut down to its current rate... I'm so unexcited about current DVD format because it is splitting knat hairs. I do understand everyone wanting the best currently available, I guess I'm just not enthused with the current DVD format after seeing D-VHS as well as good HDTV material. So my point is I look forward to the Blu-Ray version! I'm also holding out to November to watch it for the first time on DVD... forget commercial theaters :thumbsdown: They don't offer tactile feedback and the sound is rather lame compared to the better home theaters. I can only imagine the near future with a Blue Ray HD-DVD and T3 running in 720p or 1080p with a new audio format and a discrete tactile channel...
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
For the record T3 could very well come out in R2 or R4 as DTS release first go from Columbia... they don't stick to the 'DTS only on Superbits' policy that they do in r1.
Furthermore Pioneer have the rights to release it in Japan, so it's possible it may see a full bitrate DTS release ala The Sixth Day. (I SO hope this happens!)

greg_t

Screenwriter
Hopefully, the DVD will have a 448kbps DD track. The recent Warner release of Gods and Generals was 448kbps. So perhaps Warner is starting to finally pay attention to the wishes of it's consumers.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
This movie is a disgrace and a mockery of everything that was great about the first two. It's almost a spoof of the first two at times. I'll probably buy it eventually because I'm a sucker but in the end I would be perfectly happy to just own the two real "Terminator" films.
You know, I heard the same sort of comment from people after T2 was released, referring to that as a mockery of the original. I'm sure we'll all herald T3 as a true classic after T10 in twenty years time. ;)

It was a pity that the music, the script, the direction, the acting, and the editing weren't to the same standard as T1 or T2, but hey, I still enjoyed it. :D Best action flick I've seen at the cinema in a long, long while. :)

And I for one am very pleased Warner Bros are handling the DVD release for R1.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I really do hope that T3 DOES include dts. Having just compared the audio on the UE the dts track is really really outstanding.

At the risk of bitching, I do hope WB gives us a better grade of audio mastering than they do on the HPotter dvds.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately I don't share PhillipG's enthusiasm about Warner Bros. handling this release because that means no DTS-ES track. I saw this movie the day it was released and it was by far one of the best sounding movies I've ever heard at the theater. I was really excited about the possibility of reference quality audio on the DVD release until I learned that WB would be handling it(ie, no DTS). I know there are some really great Dolby Digital tracks that are just as good as DTS(Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Black Hawk Down, We Were Soldiers, etc.), but DTS usually crushes Dolby in head-to-head comparisons and without a DTS option on T3 it means we won't be getting the best possible audio quality available. That sucks!

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
Don't most movies have to have made a profit in order to have warranted a sequel?

Right now, while I loved T3, it seams to be running out of steam at the BO.

Budget was $200 Million and since release up till last night they have made $139,868,022 and for the last 4 days have been making only $500,000 to $620,000 per day. Last week it was making over $1 million per day.

And what is this about deleted scenes? I hope they do a seamless branching again as @ 1 hour and 40 minutes, it currently seems way to short for my taste.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Budget was $200 Million and since release up till last night they have made $139,868,022 and for the last 4 days have been making only $500,000 to $620,000 per day. Last week it was making over $1 million per day.
Yah, but it's already made 54+ million overseas. It'll definitely make its money back.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Warner has done full rate DTS on Lethal Weapons and Twister. I didn't think it sounded any better than DD.

I'm sure T3 will have reference quality audio and video. Warner's new releases have been stunning.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I really hope that WB gives T3 and Matrix Reloaded the reference quality audio and video they deserve, but I still think that the lack of a DTS-ES soundtrack on these titles is a major disappointment. I don't understand why Warner has abandoned DTS on their new DVD releases. By the way, Dave, I agree that the DTS track on Lethal Weapon 1-3 was no better than the DD track, but I think the Twister DTS track sounded considerably better than its DD counterpart.

ChrisA

Second Unit
Right now, while I loved T3, it seams to be running out of steam at the BO.
Forget the Box Office... They make more money on the DVD releases these days!

I love the Terminator series, but I won't go to a commercial theater because commercial theaters have poor sound and no tactile feedback. Home theater can far outperform a commercial theater...

I haven't seen X-Men 2 or Terminator 3 yet... I'll wait to see them on DVD and home theater. Forget the box office... GO HOME THEATER!!! Commercial theaters need major overhalls just to catch up with the potential of home theater... install tactile, better sound format, height channels, much more....

You got to love the absolute BOOM in home theater ... DVD gone WILD!!! The home realease will make so much money!!!

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I agree that MOST commercial theaters suck, but in my town we just got a new state-of-the-art cinema with stadium seating, Dolby Digital sound and huge screens that look better than any theater I've ever been to. As a result, I've gone to more movies this summer than the past couple of years combined. I've seen Matrix Reloaded(twice), T3, X2, Charlie's Angels, 2 Fast 2 Furious and Bad Boys II(twice) just because this new cinema is so great. I probably wouldn't have gone to half of these movies if they were in the crappy theater we used to have, but for the first time in my life the local cinema is actually better than my HT. I don't know if that's good or bad.

ChrisA

Second Unit
I agree that MOST commercial theaters suck, but in my town we just got a new state-of-the-art cinema with stadium seating, Dolby Digital sound and huge screens that look better than any theater I've ever been to.
I've never been to any commercial theater that equals the better home theaters, and they really can't unless they make LOTS of changes. In Philly we have a new United Artists just built in King of Prussia, brand new... Terrible sound... Even the best commercial theaters cannot compare with the better home theaters in this regard, not to mention that home theater is virtualy unlimited in customization... You also have tactile feedback, 3-D motion (D-Box, Oddessey), and so many innovations for the home...

ChrisA

Second Unit
The Budget was 170 million and it's getting close
to making it back. It's also doing well world
wide
You have to calculate in so much more: Pay Per view coming up, Home VHS/DVD, accessories/royalties....

They will triple their money when all is said and done....

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
Cool! Looking forward to it!

BTW, my good friend John Williamson is doing good and says hello, he hopes to be back soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks