What's new

Terminator 3 DVD -Interesting Observation (1 Viewer)

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
I know it's what the director wanted. I'm not going to start buying fullscreen now, there's no way I'm ever going to either. The way I see it it's all the fault of Super 35 and the removal of mattes. The lines between fullscreen and widescreen are blurring.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Two things: Please limit yourself to links. The first image that gets posted here results in a deleted thread. Second, HTF is, after all, in the business of advocating the theatrical aspect ratio intended by the filmmaker.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As Jack stated, use links please as I have converted the previously posted images to links.

Crawdaddy

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
A similar cropping situation occured on Fight Club. I saw it on fullscreen VHS before DVD, and on the VHS, you can see Helena Bonham Carter's breasts, as she's being examed by Edward Norton for a lump. In the 2.35:1 DVD, her breasts are cropped by the letterbox matte.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Damn I knew I should have got the fullfrontalscreen version of Showgirls!
It's a conspiracy I tells ya! Just when we thought we had convinced everyone that you can see much more in widescreen than P/S, they do this to us! Blast! ;)

I wonder if we'll be seeing stickers with,"Warning, full screen edition may contain more nudity" on future releases? I can imagine my hands wavering over which edition to go for, sweating, what should I do? More nudity or widescreen?[bites fist] :laugh:

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
For what its worth, in many instances, Super35 films do reveal more in the full frame version, but that doesnt mean that in other parts of the movie, pan and scanning may isn't still used.

Whenever a movie is transferred to 4:3 for home video, they dont necessarily just show you the whole frame that the camera saw...they use a combination of zooming, cropping, and pan and scanning...

In these examples, it certainly makes the benefits of widescreen seem less important, but that doesnt mean that there arent other scenes in the movie where the 4:3 version isn't missing anything, or is a poorly composed shot.

The point is, the widescreen version is the version the film was intended to see, and seeing a little more of her breasts or her butt, may seem enticing, but you aren't supposed to be seeing it anyway.

Greg Black

Second Unit
Yeah, I remember the hair covering up her nipples when I saw it in the theater (which btw, wasn't too bad for $5 at Buffalo Bill's in Primm, Nevada). Can anyone get some captures from the DVD to compare? They couldn't have cropped it that much.

Lane_S

Agent
All movie studios listen up:

NEW RULE

If more nudity is available on the fullscreen version of a DVD release, you shall forego crappy extras (i.e. HBO First Look, tie-in merchandise pieces, boring commentaries with lots of long pauses) in favor of including both OAR and fullscreen version in the same box - BUT ON SEPARATE DISKS.

So it is written, so it shall be done.

R. Kay

Second Unit
I LOVE FULLSCREEN.

I think we should have a petition set up pronto!

Good thing we can see full frontal on the 'Matilda' full screen release.

;)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
there is an entire section about how shots are composed on the t-2 ultimate ed dvd and the box set laser disc.
some of the shots are exactly like those linked to here.

and one way they compare is a sort of pic in pic with the red and blue(or yellow, i don't remember) borders showing you what version is what of a scene from t-2.
it was very informative and interesting.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I remember seeing a lot more of her when she was standing up in the shop window in the theatre. It used to be a pretty nice side view. I remember because, sadly, it was about the best view we got.

On DVD, the shot seems to be much tighter because you see absolutely NOTHING. The shot with her hair covering her may have been wider too.

I hate to say it guys, but I think the widescreen version is BOTCHED.

I also found the film darker (or blacker) than I remembered. Much less detail in shadows. Maybe the Governator wanted a little less exposure on his backside :)

Time to Contact Warner Bros.

Really wishing I'd gotten to see it a second time in theatres now. Who knew I'd never see the original version again?

Matthew Marino

Stunt Coordinator
I also thought that there were two shots of her hair covering her things up, but I could be wrong. If I'm mistaken and the widescreen version is actually how it was in the theater then I don't care that you can see "more" in the fullframe. I don't count the corner of a breast covered with a nest of hair as nudity.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
When I saw T3 in theaters, the naughty bits were there.
I am also in this boat. I swear those screenshots are what I saw in the theater. I have not watched the dvd yet but are there shots of her anywhere on the dvd that show her breasts minus the nipples? If there are please post a link or something so I am convinced that 16x9 is the way to go.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I remember there was talk about her big breakthrough with T3.. you heard nothing about her since the movie was released in theatres.. I wonder what happened? Did she get noticed more overseas then here in the US? I do remember seeing her left breast in the movie when I saw it. It was very brief.

JACOB

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Here's a list of movies where the fullscreen version contains more nudity:

Abyss, The (confirmed: additional shot of Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio's breast in the resuscitation scene.. only amounts to one additional shot as the OAR has two breast shots with the full frame having three.)

Bonnie and Clyde (confirmed: Faye Dunaway's breast visible in the scene at the window in fullscreen version.)

Bully (confirmed: full screen unrated version contains a shot of male nudity, full frontal, from Nick Stahl, viewable via a mirror, and possible, unconfirmed, additonal brief female nudity.)

Carrie (confirmed: Sissy Spacek's full frontal nudity in shower scene, only topless and butt in OAR. Additonal info here.. sounds like one would need to find the CBS/Fox VHS and not the later MGM/UA which was reframed to remove the full frontal shots.)

Cat People (unconfirmed: possible extended views of Nastassja Kinski in fullscreen version (butt?).

Cheerleaders, The (confirmed: a few full frontal shots are matted out from the OAR The Cheerleaders Collection dvd but are present in the full frame VHS.)

Embrace of the Vampire (confirmed: extends to show Alyssa Milano's butt in first scene and an extra topless scene(s) later on. Both versions on current release though the unrated version is widescreen and the R rated version is full frame so it may or may not contain the aforementioned butt/topless shots on that fullscreen version.)

Fraternity Vacation (confirmed: "B-Queens Barbara Crampton and Kathleen Kinmont both had brief full frontal nudity in the fullscreen version of this movie, but the widescreen cropped the scene so that only breasts were visible."

Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning (unconfirmed: as posted by Julie Walker.. "may suffer from overmatting cutting off much of the nudity durring a key sex sequence in the woods". This would likely be full frontal nudity of Deborah Voorhees. Currently available on dvd in widescreen only.)

Ghost Story (confirmed: full frontal nudity of Alice Krige in open matte fullscreen version that is covered by the matte in the OAR version.

Hitcher in the Dark AKA Hitcher 2 (confirmed: current R1 dvd release is 1:85 (can't find confirmation on whether this is its correct OAR or if it was shot 4:3 and matted for the dvd release.. DVDAf classifies it as "Incorrectly Framed Transfer") which omits some nudity that was/is present in full frame versions (Midnight Video info).
Jackie Brown (confirmed: open matte version shows Bridget Fonda's butt at about the 1:10 mark. Currently available in OAR only.)

Kalifornia (confirmed: In the FF version, Michelle Forbes shows a very brief flash of her bush during a sex scene with David Duchovney. In both the widescreen and fullscreen, there is a fleeting glimpse of a tuft of her pubic hair seen in silhouette. A second later, she shifts her legs, and in the fullscreen version her bush is visible in light for a couple of frames.

Kama Sutra: A Tale of Love (confirmed: In the scene late in the movie where Indira Varma goes down on her knees in front of Sarita Choudhury and kisses her thigh, you get more breasts)

Killing Me Softly (unconfirmed: ? Unrated version contains both fullscreen and widescreen on dvd.)

Mischief (confirmed: extended footage from the waist down, full frontal, in the open matte version of Kelly Preston.. OAR and fullscreen. Not available on dvd yet.)

National Lampoon's Vacation (confirmed: as posted by MJKTool.. "There are basically three boob scenes here. The first is when the Psyco music starts and she (ed. note Beverly D'Angelo) is washing herself in the shower. In the fullscreen version the frame cuts off right beneath both her tits. In the widescreen it crops off on top of her tits so you dont see them. The second scene is when Clark opens up the curtains startling her. In both the widescreen & fullscreen versions you see both breasts fully bouncing up and down. In the fullscreen you seer her panties...widescreen you dont. The third and final scene is when she says "Claaark". In the fullscreen version the frame cuts off right beneath the nipple. The widescreen crops the tits out completely." Both versions are available on dvd seperately (full frame has been discontinued but is still currently available.)

Poison Ivy: New Seduction (confirmed: extended topless shots of Jamie Pressly not seen in OAR version..

Pump Up the Volume (confirmed: open matte version contains footage that extends to approximately Samantha Mathis's navel compared to the OAR version that barely shows her entire breast..

Ready To Wear (Prêt-à-Porter) (confirmed: The film ends with a nude fashion show. The first model, a blonde with long straight hair is shown fully nude in both versions. However, the fullscreen version gives a closer view of her bush. The second model, a brunette with short hair ), barely shows her bush at all (side shot) and from a great distance in the WS version, but a nice close view is afforded in the FS version.

See No Evil, Hear No Evil (confirmed: Joan Severance's breasts in hotel shower scene at roughly the 1:08-1:12 mark.)

Showgirls (confirmed: The NC-17 full screen version contains an extra Elizabeth Berkley bush shot from a distance during the pole dance scene that is covered by the matte in the OAR version)

Single White Female (confirmed: Jennifer Jason Leigh's full frontal nudity in shower scene, and another.. only topless in OAR. )

Some Girls (confirmed: Patrick Dempsey full frontal nudity probable in fullscreen version that is matted out in OAR version.

Supernova (confirmed: extended Robin Tunney topless footage. Both versions on current release.)

Wings of the Dove, The (confirmed: as posted by Buck Turgidson, "Helena Bonham Carter's fully exposed breasts are clearly visible at the bottom of the frame when she sits on the bed in profile, after she first undresses, in the 4:3 version."

World Is Not Enough, The (confirmed: Sophie Marceau nip slip in fullscreen version)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
You know, I wouldn't care about any of this if I had a girlfriend right now. :)

Amend that, the RIGHT girlfriend.

Anyway, I thought of what might be a possible alternative to the WS DVD being mis-framed:

I know very little about film projection, but it occurred to me that the theatre I saw T3 in has a very large screen, but not quite wide enough to use the whole thing for 2.35:1 without some letterboxing. This theatre doesn't do that, however. They always fill the whole screen making it look more like 2:1. I always thought they blew it up and I was missing information on the sides. However, if the film actually has additional vertical information on the frames, is it possible they show more of the frame than the director's intended 2.35:1 image? If that's how it works that could be why I (and some others) saw more flesh in theatres than we see on DVD if other theatres do this same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks