What's new

Terminator 2: Skynet Edition. Is it worth upgrade from 1st blu-ray just for PQ? (1 Viewer)

I've seen it for $5 for quite some time now and am wondering how much better the picture quality is.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Its not superb (DNR's still a bit heavier than it should be since the original transfer is pushing 10 years old) but for five bucks you could do worse.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
The Skynet does have much better compression, lossless audio, and I think the color and contrast is a hair better. However, as mentioned, a bit too much DNR was added.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
One caveat: this is the slowest loading disc I own. Besides being slow, it checks for an Internet connection, when you dont have one, you have to respond to tell the disc to proceed. Just terrible design, IMHO.
Otherwise, I have no complaints.

Thanks for the info guys. This doesn't sound like a resounding yes from the responses but am I correct that the transfer is definitely better on the Skynet Edition? Also, are all the bonus feature from the first disk on the Skynet Edition? I'd like to sell the original if I do get the Skynet Ed.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Rob Kilbride said:
Thanks for the info guys. This doesn't sound like a resounding yes from the responses but am I correct that the transfer is definitely better on the Skynet Edition? Also, are all the bonus feature from the first disk on the Skynet Edition? I'd like to sell the original if I do get the Skynet Ed.
It's $5. Less than a Wendy's combo meal.
Keep them both.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I just fired up the Skynet edition on my Oppo 93 for the first time. I had played the disc previously on the BD player I had before. It it still the longest loading disc I own. Sheesh.

I tried to do the PIP and I do get the PIP, but without sound. I vaguely remember there's something in the player setup I have to change. Anyone remember what that is? It's pita to have to go the the player setup just to use all the features of the disc, wish it could have been one of the selections on the disc's menu.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Johnny Angell said:
I just fired up the Skynet edition on my Oppo 93 for the first time. I had played the disc previously on the BD player I had before. It it still the longest loading disc I own. Sheesh.

I tried to do the PIP and I do get the PIP, but without sound. I vaguely remember there's something in the player setup I have to change. Anyone remember what that is? It's pita to have to go the the player setup just to use all the features of the disc, wish it could have been one of the selections on the disc's menu.
I don't have an Oppo, but in most players, you need to either have the player do the audio processing (PCM rather than bitstreaming) or turn on secondary audio (one player I have uses this approach, I think).

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Is this something that can be turned on and left that way? Can I still get the best audio out of the player with PCM on?

Rick Z.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ricardo
I think this will get a upgrade sooner or later. This must be one of the most reissued titles on home video history.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Paul_Warren said:
Not worth it the PQ is horrible it never got a decent HD transfer so wait until Cameron revisits it at some time.....
Yes agree the picture colour is sheer mess up and they shouldn't have released the bluray a few years ago waste of time. Same botched colour as the VHS tape and yes that was in the early '90's same as the Laserdisc the DVD and even the HD televised one I saw on Channel 4 last Christmas, only it seemed they where trying to lower down on the colour issue, but not enough,

The only thing that is fine is the Dolby mix but what use is it without perfect picture colour? I can't even watch the film, as when those botched up colours show up, I just like to terminate the TV. :laugh:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I'm not sure Cameron cares since he signed off on the previous transfer.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've seen it for $5 for quite some time now and am wondering how much better the picture quality is.
A comparison here, doesn't look that great, i have the HD DVD edition which also isn't great but is a tiny slightly bit better and that's not saying much.

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_list.php?hd_multiID=262

I can't understand why this film never received a brand new film scan, all versions around the world of it come from the same old dated master, i think maybe for it's 25th anniversary in 2016, they can then hop on the Avatar sequel bandwagon and use that for publicity to justify the cost of a new scan, the problem is that when so many cheap versions exist around the world it saturates the market and the chances of spending money on a new film scan are slimmer.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Johnny Angell said:
Is this something that can be turned on and left that way? Can I still get the best audio out of the player with PCM on?
Yes, supposedly there is no difference in sound quality between bitstream and PCM. Those who like seeing the readout of DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD on their receivers choose the former. Otherwise, there shouldn't be any difference.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
It's my understanding that the Skynet Edition utilizes the same HD transfer which was created for the DVD "Extreme Edition". So it's not *terrible*; it's just not demo worthy.

As to the loading: My one year old Samsung Blu-ray refused to load this disc until I went into the Settings menu and turned off internet access! That's pretty darn hostile!!

As to PCM vs bitstream audio: On my receiver, at least, I get better directional effects and subwoofer bass with bitstream.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I'll echo most of the comments here, espcially regarding the poor execution of web-enabled features. This seemed to be a problem for many Lionsgate releases of this vintage, if memory serves. As much as it is a pain, the easiest way to deal with it is to simply turn off internet access while playing this particular disc. I actually paid less for the Terminator remaster than I did for this, but still only paid $5.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Another mega-set is coming at some point. We all know that. It's T2 after all.I think Cameron kinda lost interest of DVD/BD after Titanic. Since it's not the "coolest" thing anymore, he moved on to something else. If it's not "cutting edge", it's too old for Jim.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks