David
Van is the man
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Gekkou

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Casey M.
Van Ling said:
PS: I'm pushing for AVC and DTS-HD Master Audio lossless on T2... ;-)
Glad to hear it! I'm sure you'll be able to get that signed-off on, that seems to be LionsGate's favorite codec combination. Are you able to give any info on what will be used for a master?
Also glad to hear the love for the show at Universal. It's been a good six and a half years since I saw that one... I'd love to see it again.

Jerome

Second Unit
the old SD bonuses sould be on a separate DVD.

We need a new long documentary about the film, like the ones on The Fly, Top Gun or Blade Runner. Something huge. We are talking about Terminator movies !

Van Ling

Insider
A new long doc would be great but probably won't happen until the 20th anniversary in 2011... primarily because Cameron is so busy right now that getting his time and required approval would be (and has been) nearly impossible. Same goes for any new transfers... this is why we haven't gotten an approved new "Abyss" HD transfer yet.
As for the T2 master, it's the same approved master we used on the first Blu-ray release, but with a lot of laborious dirt removal done to it and a much better encode (not MPEG2!). And any primary lossless audio would be the original 5.1 mix; the only ones who ever did a faux 7.1 upmix were the German folks at Kinowelt for the swansong HD-DVD release last year.
V

Jerome

Second Unit
Van Ling said:
A new long doc would be great but probably won't happen until the 20th anniversary in 2011... primarily because Cameron is so busy right now that getting his time and required approval would be (and has been) nearly impossible.
V
don't get me wrong. I can wait until 2011. who hasn't a dvd of T2 at home ?
I already have the two Region 1 DVD you worked on,
since it is not my favorite cameron film (I prefer The Abyss (long version), it is already nice to have it twice.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have the DVD of T2 at home so I can totally wait for the Blu-ray version to come out as long as it is done right. I am happy with the current version of T1 on Bluray, but would love to have T-2 & T-3 with lossless audio.

Gekkou

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Casey M.
Van Ling said:
As for the T2 master, it's the same approved master we used on the first Blu-ray release, but with a lot of laborious dirt removal done to it and a much better encode (not MPEG2!). And any primary lossless audio would be the original 5.1 mix; the only ones who ever did a faux 7.1 upmix were the German folks at Kinowelt for the swansong HD-DVD release last year.
V
Glad to hear that about the audio. I was wondering if the original mix was going to make it on there because LionsGate seems to be gung-ho about 7.1 upmixes on just about everything for the past year and a half (and 6.1 before that).
Also glad to hear that the master has had some extra care given to it.
Thanks for keeping us posted!

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i second this notion. i don't want to buy another copy...
and then to have to buy yet ANOTHER one in 2011. that's only 2 years away. i'll simply wait for the whole thing to be done properly and then get it all.
Jerome said:
don't get me wrong. I can wait until 2011. who hasn't a dvd of T2 at home ?
I already have the two Region 1 DVD you worked on,
since it is not my favorite cameron film (I prefer The Abyss (long version), it is already nice to have it twice.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
As a reviewer and collector, if authoring and replication costs are the reason for previously available features from the DVD to be left off a BD release, then the features should be made available on a DVD.

This is especially the case when the DVD was a 2-disc set, and the new BD's content is virtually identical to disc 1 of the DVD, with the majority of special features on disc 2 of the DVD. Universal's recent BD releases of "Hellboy II" and "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" are good examples, even though they are new, and not catalog, titles.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
Van Ling said:
And any primary lossless audio would be the original 5.1 mix
this is indeed good news. thank you van
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

hopefully you can get a good source to add the trailers for terminator 2 in glorious highdef. the teaser is one the best ever made and a rare true teaser. it's such a shame that no one really cares making these kinda trailers anymore. ok, resident evil 2 had a wonderful teaser :D

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
van, this would be awesome :D
if possible, push for oar versions ;)
one question about deleted scenes...
are they all lost or do they still exist? it would be interesting to finally see them and why mr. cameron took them out. example would be the the scene from john asking t-800 if the t-1000 can be destroyed. in the trailer he replies "unknown" which was cut from the movie.
i guess there are more interesting scenes to discover for us fans.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Van,

Will the eventual re-issue of Terminator I on Blu-ray feaure a new encode or new transfer? I do understand Terminator II will. Thanks.

Gekkou

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Casey M.
I know this question was asked a while ago but for the DVD special features if they can't be put on the Blu-ray Disc my second choice would be to have them on a DVD (they must have been produced in standard def anyway). If that doesn't happen then the ability to download them to the player would work too.
The ability to download new features that might not be ready in time for the initial release sounds intriguing as well.
Will seamless branching be used to provide different cuts of the film?
Thanks again for taking the time to let us in on all this!

Greg Mariotti

Stunt Coordinator
When I upgrade, I prefer to give my old dvd's to someone else or get rid of them all together.

So...I'd like to see all the supplements from the Ultimate and Extreme edition included on the new BD. Extras are important to me, especially for films that are all time classics and deserve it.

Plus, a lot of time and care were put into these extras and I want to see them perserved on BD.

thanks

Van Ling

Insider
Enrico, that short omitted line was simply an additional beat in the dialogue of an existing scene, so it's unlikely that we'd be trying to make a meal out of it for the disc... at least you have it in the trailer! ;-)
Dave, I believe that T1 will be a new full restoration that Lightstorm is doing with Lowry Digital, where the film was scanned in and worked on, so it should be a new "transfer" and encode as well. So if you don't like it, blame Lightstorm! ;-)
Casey, we are trying to get seamless branching to work on the disc for the upcoming T2 release... the challenge is always one of space: even with 50Gb of dual-layer disc space, trying to do the branching AND have lossless audio AND have all of the commentaries AND any other special features that would run with the feature fills up the disc pretty quickly! "We gonna need a bigger boat..." ;-)
V

Gekkou

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Casey M.
Van Ling said:
Dave, I believe that T1 will be a new full restoration that Lightstorm is doing with Lowry Digital, where the film was scanned in and worked on, so it should be a new "transfer" and encode as well. So if you don't like it, blame Lightstorm! ;-)
Casey, we are trying to get seamless branching to work on the disc for the upcoming T2 release... the challenge is always one of space: even with 50Gb of dual-layer disc space, trying to do the branching AND have lossless audio AND have all of the commentaries AND any other special features that would run with the feature fills up the disc pretty quickly! "We gonna need a bigger boat..." ;-)
V
Wow, glad to hear that about T1.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for T2! I like both cuts for different reasons, that's one of the things that bothered me about the German HD DVD.

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Van Ling said:
A new long doc would be great but probably won't happen until the 20th anniversary in 2011... primarily because Cameron is so busy right now that getting his time and required approval would be (and has been) nearly impossible. Same goes for any new transfers... this is why we haven't gotten an approved new "Abyss" HD transfer yet.
What does an approved HD transfer actually mean?
Does JC himself have to be involved in the nitty gritty work or
does he just have a look at a transfer and say OK or not OK?

Mike*Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Van,
Does this new transfer of T1 need to be approved by Cameron as well? If so, could that hold things up?
As far as T2 is concerned, is there a reason why the original 5.1 mix will be used, and not the EX mix which was done for the Ultimate Edition?
Also, assuming that you cannot get the seamless branching to work on T2, which version of the movie will be included?
Better yet, could you offer some insight into which version of the movie Cameron truly prefers? He's made it pretty clear that he thinks that the extended cuts of ALIENS and THE ABYSS are improvements over the theatrical cuts. But there hasn't really been any definitive evidence regarding his preference for T2. It seems like he prefers the theatrical cut, but he's never just flat out said that. Could you possibly set the record straight, once and for all? Thanks.
As far as what I'd like to see on the discs, the only obvious omission from previous versions that I can think of is a commentary track on T1. I'll buy T2 again, regardless. But pretty much the only thing that could get me to repurchase T1 is a commentary.
Thanks Again.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I'm against new effects in T1 also, but... I would not mind if some of the more obvious stop-motion sequences had some synthesized frames created to make the motion more smooth. I mean, if a movement is not fluid because the model Terminator was only moved half as much as would have been ideal to replicate real-time movement, have a computer create the in-between movements so it is smoother.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks