What's new

Tennant to leave TARDIS in 2010 (1 Viewer)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Just so he doesnt keep that emo look.
I have to say i am excited that Moffit is taking over, as I really like his writing much more than Davies.

Thanks Ed for posting!

Jason Smalley

Stunt Coordinator
On the face of it, I'm not entirely sold on the Eleventh Doctor. On the Confidential Episode last evening, I wasn't really feeling him in the interview sessions. It wasn't until they had clips from his other work (including Ruby in the Smoke with Billie Piper) that had a vague "Doctorish" vibe to most of them that I began to come around to him being able to pull the role off.

I love Doctor Who enough that they could probably put a Poodle in the role and I would still want to see where the TARDIS will land next week. I would, however, probably still lament the good old days of Tennant and Troughton. I love the other Doctors, but those two are solidly my favorites.

With the Moff at the reigns, how can the fifth series be bad?

2010 and the Specials cannot come soon enough.

The Torchwood mini-series will also be a welcome addition from BBC Wales in this "Year Without a Doctor."

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I'm curious as to why the Doctor character is frequently recast. It is intriguing.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
I don't think I am going to be too thrilled with this next Doctor, he is WAY too young. If anything I thought they would go with an OLDER actor and make it more like the Baker or Pertwee years. I will give him a chance, but this is NOT at all an actor with any interest at all to me. The Doctor should carry some weight to his appearance and getting younger is NOT what they should do.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor

You must not be a long time Who fan. This is the tradition and always has been as part of the story. He is a Time Lord, NOT human, which means when badly injured he can regenerate his body without dying. If anything, they need to keep it changing and consistent with the facts and that is part of it.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma

I've known about the Doctor since the B&W episodes back in the 60s - but am not an ardent viewer. Also know about the regeneration device - though wasn't there a limit of how many times he could do it?

It just seems with this latest run the actors are not around for more than 1 or 2 seasons. Seems rather odd - unless its a way of BBC keeping the salary costs down.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Can't comment on the new Doctor, as I don't know anything about him. However, we watched "The Next Doctor" last night and enjoyed it very much. Good mix of action, drama and silliness. That steampunk robot clomping through London was terrific!

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
If you saw "The Next Doctor" than you probably have access to the "Confidential"s. The one titled "The Eleventh Doctor" introduces the new Doctor and explains a bit about how the re-invention of the Doctor every few years keeps the series fresh, along with a mini-history of previous Doctors.

My first impression is that Matt Smith can make a good Doctor. (as long as I don't have to view zoom modes of his lips, his other performance clips were OK)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I gather that, in part, it's been something forced upon the BBC - Christopher Eccleston very specifically signed on for just one year, not wanting to be tied to any single project for very long. I've read rumors that Tennant wanted a big raise and a long-term contract if he was going to continue on, which isn't a commitment the BBC was willing to make. I also think it makes a certain amount of sense that a new showrunner should get a clean slate - this means Steven Moffat won't have to write Russel Davies's character, but will instead be able to start from scratch.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

I remember reading that Tennant was in negotiations so maybe they didn't so so well but watching Doctor Who for 20 something years, it is normal for Actors to come and go in the role, sorta like Bond.
I think the new Actor will be fine. Everyone is always a bit skeptical at first of a new person coming in.
My advise to those who are already judging him Before he premiers is...wait and juge him until the first couple episodes.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
At least looking at his pictures, his face doesn't look "Hollywood normal" which is a plus.

Neil

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Actually, I thought Tennant or for that matter anyone overstayed the welcome for the show. It is the FACT the Doctor is an alien and REGENERATES. Therefore, having the same guy in the role makes no sense and gives no danger to thinking death could come at any time otherwise.

Honestly, I thought it would've been MUCH better for a new Doctor at the end of season 3 for the ultimate face-off between him and the Master one last time. It fit right in with the story too. But him going on for season 4 really dragged things out for me and made even a fine actor seem long.

This is NOT a serial type of show like in the Tom Baker years. If it was and they were doing 4-6 episodic shows with longer seasons of say 24 episodes or more then yes, you can drag it out like in the past. But I don't think the show will have anywhere near the original run and hope they keep things changing and more quickly.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

I don't. Personally, I would have liked to have seen Christopher Eccleston do several more seasons, just like I would like to have seen David Tennent do more. I like each of their Doctors very well, so the idea of switching every couple of seasons seems overkill.

Besides, I believe I remember that the Doctor technically gets 16 lives (the 16th turns out to be a villian - "Trial of a Time Lord"), so to me, constant regenerating rockets the Doctor to the end of his life. I understand that they'll probably just drop the whole 16 lives limit, or come up with some new storyline to extend it (ala the Master), but I like having one person play the Doctor for awhile - and David was one of the best.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Actually I thought it was 12 regenerations, which means for the Doctor the Gig is nearly up.

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye
It is indeed 12 regenerations, therefore 13 lives (the Valeyard from 'Trial of a Time Lord' wasn't the 13th Doctor, but (if I recall the lines correctly) an amalgam of the Doctor's darker side from somewhere between his 12th and final lives).

However, this is a sci-fi show, and with the Time Lords and Gallifrey gone there are plenty of storyline opportunities to rewrite the past. And, from a production point of view, the BBC aren't going to stop making Doctor Who if it's still popular just because an in-story limit set in the 1970s and 80s has been reached!

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor

Yes, 12 is ALL he gets. But, I don't want to see them trash the limits and continuity set in the original shows. They have already abandoned quite a bit but the major core has remained unchanged. I don't think they will go that far and not address it at all. There are several ways to deal with this, it is science fiction after all and they don't have to change the core to make it work.

You have several plots that could come up, not the least of which would involve the Doctor's daughter, now that he has one. He thinks she's dead, but they can write some interesting stories with her. One radical approach, of which I would not mind to see is have her actually take over the TARDIS and continue in her Fathers footsteps. She could have male companions compared to female and they can reverse things like they are now. A LOT of very cool things can be done taking this approach and make the show seem fresh at the same time.

Next, you can go radical again and have her die transferring her energy into her Father, thus giving him another 12 lives. A more sad approach, but one that would be darker like Season 4 with Donna.

If neither of the two work, which I surely think one would and be the most likely and obvious plot devices to use, you can just come up with something. No matter what though, I want to see the Doctor reunited with his Daughter for some more shows as there is so much potential there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks