What's new

Tenacious D's new album (1 Viewer)

Ike

Screenwriter
I have just ordered from their official website, which says I'll get it early (and a sock!), the D's new album. Who else, like me, can't wait? I'm only a little upset that they didn't include one of my favorite songs, "Run Gigga Gung".
AMG All Music gave the album 4 1/2 stars, but they didn't actually review it. But they probably really do have the album, because they've posted lengths of the songs.
I'm glad it looks as though it's a mixture of songs from the show, songs they've done live, and new stuff. I can't wait to get a studio version of Tribute.
Man, can't wait, cause this thing is going to rock my sock off!
[Edited last by Ike on September 13, 2001 at 07:07 AM]

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking forward to it as well (and have been for more than a year). The only disappointment is the stuff that used to be freestyle improv vocals when performed live have been adapted now so when performed live they do it as it appears on the record.
The D was refreshing as they existing exclusively as a performing unit- hopefully they won't make any additional compromises of what made them interesting in order to be a studio group.
BTW, isn't "Run Gigga Gung" actually called BOWIE? That's what i've always heard it called-- the show they did on the Comedy Fest with the "stabbing you with my bowie while I'm naked..."
-Vince
------------------
http://www.musicianassist.com
AIM: VinceMaskeeper
Interested in moving into FRONT PROJECTION with huge 6-10 foot widescreen? Buy my whole HDTV-ready CRT based front projection system delivered, cheap! Click here
[Edited last by Vince Maskeeper on September 14, 2001 at 11:45 AM]

Ike

Screenwriter
The only way for me to get the song in question was via Napster, when it was up, since I've never seen them live. I never saw it called Bowie there, but it makes sense that that's the name.

Jake Gove

Second Unit
From "Song of Exultant Joy:"
JB:Couldn't split up Kato and Nash
KG:That's true..
JB:Couldn't split up Tango and Cash
This is our Song of Exultant Joy
Because
JB+KG:We only came to kick some ass
What we gonna do with all the cash?
KG:Smoke Hash.
JB:And then we'll thrash
JB+KG:We'll throw a big ol' bash, y'all!
And everyone is invited to the bash
JB:And everyone's invited to the bash
KG:You're all invited to the bash.
JB:Come on Kyle, one more time, come on!
I heard the version on the album and they cut out things like KG's "That's true". (similar to what Vince said about improv-ed lyrics". If you see them live, KG says "That's also true" after "tango and cash".
Also upset that they are no longer able to play the real version of "Tribute to the Greatest Song in the World" because Jimmy Page won't let them use Stairway to Heaven riffs. Glad I have an MP3 of the original.
------------------
Jake
Link Removed My JAWS Fansite
Link Removed My Arcade PC
Link Removed My Home Theater Pics

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I would suggest, fi you can find them, digging up the demo tape versions of their songs. They did a 4 song home demo a few years back consisting of:
[Tribute to] The best song in the World
History of Tenacious D
Exultant Joy
Hari Krishna
The opening of Exultant Joy features a "phone call" where Kyle quits the band-- and includes one of the funniest screaming fits from Jack I have ever heard ("I will BITCH SLAP YOU with my COCK!")
Also, Hari Krishna is a more rare track (having never been used on the TV series or plays on SNL/Conan/Etc). Features the great line "Everything sucked in High School, so I moved to the Middle East"
:)
Vince
------------------
http://www.musicianassist.com
AIM: VinceMaskeeper
Interested in moving into FRONT PROJECTION with huge 6-10 foot widescreen? Buy my whole HDTV-ready CRT based front projection system delivered, cheap! Click here

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
Gotta love the D
I don't know if the sock is worth the pre-order though :) Everything up here gets too expensive after shipping so I'll prolly just pick it up in-store
------------------

Jake Gove

Second Unit
Well, I preordered it and haven't received it yet. Couldn't wait any longer for the D, so I had to pick it up today. It'll rock your sock(s) off.
My favorites:
Kielbasa
Wonderboy
Explosivo
Friendship
Kyle Quit the Band
There's a hidden song at the very end of "City Hall".
The fact that the D is "plugged in" on the CD, doesn't bother me at all. A great CD!
------------------
Jake
http://www.jawsmovie.com My JAWS Fansite
Link Removed My Arcade PC
Link Removed My Home Theater Pics

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
try www.kazaa.com very similiar to napster.
------------------
"who needs padding when you can have quality over quantity? more isn't always better." just my 2 cents on post count padders.-----

Ike

Screenwriter
It is a great album, but I'd like to have seen more scat. That's it. Just more scat. There's a bit at the end of Tribute, but as far as I can tell, that's it.
Oh well, glad to get it before it was apparently recalled.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Would it be a stretch to say that "Wonderboy" is a spoof/parody/tribute of Radiohead's OK Computer ??? Every time I hear it, I think of that album. Or am I reaching here?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks