What's new

Temporary replacement of SR 6200. SR 7000 vs SR 8000? (1 Viewer)

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Sorry Chris, didn't see you already got the 7000. :)

The 7300 OSE is the closest you can get to the sound of those x000 receivers. In fact, the lineage of the OSE is similar to that of the 8000 - the 8000 is simply a tweaked out 7000, with the same tweaks found in the OSE - copper chassis, power supply etc. etc.

Jeff.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
ChrisAG, If you're interested, perhaps you'd like to compare the SR 7000 with the 6200 with me some time before I let it go.

I agree about possible differences in the preamp sections. I'm either going to add an external amp to the 7000 and/or upgrade to the 8000. I'd probably go with the 7300 ose if I wanted surround format toys.

Tom,

My ISP sucks. Lately there are so many people who can't email me! I'll check my PM's but I've gotten nothing.

Try my hotmail for now:

[email protected]

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
Thanks Chris, I'd be interested in hearing the 7000.

If I could do it all over again, I'd have bought the 7000, but I was waiting for the "improved" x200 series with 6.1 and DPL-II.

In my opinion 6.1 is a waste of time (but 7.1 in the x400 series may be more useful). As it is, I sold my centre rear speaker and have gone back to 5.1 with my 6200.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
I'm fairly sure as of right now the 7400 is the only one in the x400 series that has 7.1. I agree with you, I wasn't comparing the 5400 to the 7300OSE, I was comparing it to the 6200 that was originally in question on this thread. At the demo room of my local marantz retailer I listened to a couple different 6.1 setups, it sounded much better when a pair of speakers was used as the rear center instead of a single speaker. I don't have it set up in my house though because when I built the house I did not run wires for a rear center. Does the 7300 OSE have a virtual 6.1 mode? The x400 series has it, and what I like about it is that it seems to make the rear surrounds a bit less directional. It's not a huge difference, but I do notice it.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The 8400 also has 7 channels of amplification, and I may upgrade to it because I believe it has an improved power supply vs my 8300. I don't need the extra channels, because I run a 5.1 setup.

The x300s have (on 5300 and up) CS6.1, DTS:NEO6 and DPLII, and 6ch stereo, but I have not seen a "virtual" 6.1 mode. I only ever used 6.1 modes with EX/ES movies with the 6200.

They are basically the same thing, just one less speaker for 6.1, so I'm not sure I understand that one. The 8300 has preamp outs for 7.1, so you can run two rear speakers, and I believe the 7300 and 6300 do also. Room size is a factor as well, when deciding between 6 or 7.1.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
In discussing this on AVS I've found out the following (apparantly anyways):

1) The only discrete 6.1 format is DTS ES 6.1 discrete. DD EX and DD ES matrix a rear centre and are not discrete.

2) There are NO 7.1 discrete formats to my knowledge, after asking around.

3) Some 7.1 formats matrix two channels for the rear surrounds. For instance, I believe that is what all the buzz about DPL IIx is for. This results in "stereo" rear centre surrounds, if you will. Not quite discrete, but stereo non-the-less. I think maybe there are other NEO and Circle Surround modes which do something similar in making stereo rear surrounds.

Adding 2 speakers to a 6.1 setup via the rear 6th channel creates two identical rear surround centres. 7.1 makes the rears as close to discrete as possible, though I'm sure not as good as the regular discrete side surrounds.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor

Well, I read that having a single speaker for the rear can create false imaging from the front.

Plus, I just think you can do a lot more with a 7.1 system vs. 6.1.

For example, if you have dual monopole rears, 7.1 would be ideal for SACD. The rears can be utilized in a 5.1 music system, saving the side speakers (bipole perhaps?) for HT.

All seven speakers can be active for the various HT formats.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I had a 6.1 setup previously, and never had a problem with hearing the rear center in the front (I have read this also), but I would expect the same to be true, depending on placement, for two speakers playing the same thing as one. My new place doesn't allow for functional placement of rear center(s), so I am back to 5.1 with no complaints. To me 6.1 was a noticable improvement with EX/ES material, but never quite sounded right in simulated mode with non-EX/ES material.

In a larger room, I could see the benefit of 7.1, but for the average room size, I just don't see it being necessary or more flexible. Having said that, whenever I move to a place that will support rear centers, it will be wired for 7.1, just because I can. :D

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member

Exactly :D

True enough. Quite frankly, I may change my surround speakers, but I'm fine with 5.1. I hear that the SR 8200 has DPL II. It doesn't by chance have Circle Surround also, does it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks