What's new

Tempest in a 16" Sonotube? (1 Viewer)

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Has anyone built such a beast, or should I stick with a Shiva?

I already have the tube, I bought it a while ago (over a year) when I initially got the bug to build a sub. Lack of funds intervened but I'm going to build it very soon now.

Height isn't much of an object, but I'd like to keep it under 48" if possible.

If it matters, I'm going to be driving it at least initially with an old Pioneer receiver I have in the closet. (I think the receiver is 80 - 100 WPC, I'll have to try to find the manual to be sure since I can't find any specs on the web for it. (VSX-4600))

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well you could get a Tempest to fit on that, but you'll have to get creative with the legs. I think you'll have to mount them to the sides of the tube.

16"x48" gives you just over 150L of gross volume to play with. A sealed Tempest is not problem with this. Don't know if I'd want to try a vented Tempest with that much space though.

With the Shiva or Dayton DVC12" you can pick from pretty much any recommended vented or sealed allignment out there and fitting the legs on the bottom won't be a problem either.

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
you can make a seccond plate that is below the tube so you can make it any size you want i did it that way i have 1 layer in the tube and my seccond layer is 19 in square

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
It will be a pretty thin/weak baffle if the overall diameter is 16" and the driver cutout is ~14". You'll have a 1" doughnut. I wouldn't recommend it with the standard sono design but you could alter the design to make it stronger.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
well, I was thinking about using some 18"x1" pre-cut pine circles that they have at Lowes for the outer portion of the end cap (with MDF on the inside) and the base. That would add a little more room for legs.

But then I thought some more and decided to go with a Shiva instead. I've been subless for so long I can't imagine that I won't be happy with it. Thanks for the responses !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks