What's new

tell me ways on getting thin, lean and sexy! (1 Viewer)

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
uh, guys, my girl friend is asking me to find ways to get rid of unwanted fat on her body.

Jeez.

What I do for myself is this :
- At least 3 times a week to the fitness center, and make sure I spend 15 minutes on the threadmill / around 130 calories.
- Make sure I stop eating before I feel full. Rice / carbs can only be consumed before 5 o'clock ( only 1 time per day : if I ate rice in the morning, no more rice later on the same day, vice versa ).
- If I were hungry after 5 o'clock, then I can only eat fruit, vegetables, or at the very worse, a few pieces of meat dumpling.

I lost 8 kilograms this way. I am stuck now, cannot get rid of more fat anymore, i dunno why.

Well, my girlfriend doesnt eat at all after 6 o'clock, and she keeps asking me for supplements that can help her get rid 3-4 more kilograms off her belly. Or perhaps should i find that "belly shaking machine" ? Have you seen this kind of device on tv? Does it work?

I need advice. This is a serious question!

Thanks.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

It is an urban myth that not eating after 6 is important. All that is important is total calories consumed during the day and eating balanced meals. I know my body and my metabolism really well. If I consume 3,000 calories a day and nothing after 6, I will gain weight. If I consume 2,000 calories a day and the last meal at 9:00 PM, I don't gain weight. I am a little over 6' 1" which is 1.86 meters and weigh 175 lbs or 79.4 kilograms. I walk/jog about 2 miles a day on average, and try to spend 20 minutes a day on average doing other exercise. Sports like basketball, tennis, golf (walking) are what I enjoy. Fitness centers are great if you can enjoy that, I never could. Stationary bikes, bike riding, jump ropes, treadmills are all great as well. Push-ups, aerobic exercise, and sit-ups are all good and I do that from time to time. I have a stationary bike and jump rope. I don't precisely count calories but have a general idea each day how I have done. After 35 years of drinking one or two Coca-Colas a day, I stopped drinking soft drinks about 3 years ago. I don't like diet drinks. Any of the junk foods that are nothing more than empty calories are to be avoided. Make snacks if you must have them be limited and nutritional. A couple ounces of mixed nuts or fruits and vegetables are ok. Get a good understanding of what a healthy diet is and follow it. I do take a daily vitamin supplement but I am not convinced it really helps much, just pretty certain it doesn't hurt.

Of course eating fruits and vegetables is important and limiting yourself to the recommended daily amounts of carbohydrates, sugar and fats is very important. It is so simple to not overeat, I will never understand why so many people do. My girlfriend is 5' 4" and weighs about 110 lbs so we help each other with the daily routines. We are at weight maintaining routines which is basically what I described. Just reduce the calorie intake slightly and increase the exercise routine slightly to lose weight. I can't lose weight quickly but if I reduce calories to say 1,800 and increase exercise slightly, I can lose 1 or 2 lbs a week.

Get a handle on your recommended calorie and exercise needs and follow it, it will become second nature. I am 54 and have never been fat but have weighed 30 lbs more than I do now. Of course the standard disclaimer, consult your doctor is always good advice, they really do understand all of the issues and can be very precise about it. Regular physical examinations are great.

Chris

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Bike to work, park far away from anything... take the stairs.... Take up jogging or kayaking... Climb Everest....

Jay

Colton

Supporting Actor
She has to learn to control her sweet tooth. No more candy, soda pops, ice cream, cake, pie or cookies. Sugar is the biggest problem with people who are overweight.

- Colton

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

This is it. Period. If you can choose only one exercise out of weights, cardio, etc., choose weights and work out fast enough (slow reps - 3 count up and 3 count down, but limited rest between sets ~30 seconds) so the pulse rate is up around 110-120 by the end of the workout. Work 1 set of each exercise to failure in 8-12 reps. Once you can do 12, add 10 lbs. Should be able to do 10-12 exercises in about 30 minutes, give or take. Make sure you work out your legs (extensions, leg curls, calf raises, squats) because they are the largest muscle groups and will burn the most fat, plus they help develop your core which is necessary to build more muscle. Work the legs first (big muscle groups to small) for the greatest effect. Do this 3 times a week. Supplements are useless unless you are talking vitamins. Cut the calories. Balance your diet.

That's it. Sounds simple and it is. It just takes discipline. I lost 12 lbs on a medium build frame (I wasn't fat, just out of shape) and went from 18-19% body fat to 12-13% in six weeks at the age of 41.

Colton

Supporting Actor
I've lost 35 lbs. in six months by cutting out bread, sugar and fatty foods. Drink lots of water. Stay away from saturated fats, like cheese. Yes, exercise is extremely important. I do cardio Mon-Fri for an hour and burn 500 calories.

- Colton

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

One more thing. About this "belly shaking machine." It (and any other "spot reducer" machine) is useless. The fact is you cannot spot reduce fat. Situps will not reduce the fat on your belly any more than any other exercise. Fat deposits are based on gender and genetics and the first deposits to form are the last to leave. For men, the first deposits are in the belly and love handles. For women, it is in the hips and thighs, the lower belly and the triceps. The best way to reduce it is to work out the biggest muscle groups down to the smallest in an intense workout that raises the heart rate and causes each muscle group to experience failure, coupled with a reduction of calories in a balanced diet.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I hope her concerns about getting the weight off her body didn't mean you :D

If she doesn't want to do the work or change eating habits, there's always lipo and stapling.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've slowly lost about 25 pounds since april just by 3 days of excercising and eating throughout the day instead of 3 big meals.

My excercise regime is about 20 minutes of cardio on the Eliptical machine, and about 20-30 minutes weights (9 machines, 2 reps of 12 each, about 30seconds in between) and finishing with crunchs on an ab assist bench (about 80, in a series of 20 reps until my back gives out.) I do this on mon,wed and Friday.

I haven't cut out any foods except cans of coke. I have one for lunch instead of a litre or so throughout the day. Otherwise, I eat everything I always did, just not to bursting. I'm never really hungry as I typically snack through out the day instead of big meals. I usually have milk & cheese at about 9pm as a hold over until morning, which seems to keep my metabolism going throughout the night.

Too bad it seems that belly fat is the last to go., I started at about 230-235lb, and am down to about 212lb right now. My goal is around 180-190, based on where I was when I was 18 years old as a guide, as opposed to the body mass index or whatever it is that says I should be at like 150LB. That last 20lb-30lb is all on my middle.

Any other suggestions for ab/belly back fat reducing excercises would be appreciated.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

As stated above, there is no spot reducing of fat, so no "abdominal specific" exercise will specifically remove belly fat (but it will strengthen the abdminals underneath the fat). Belly fat is the last to go on men, so either further reduce calories (do not go below 1500 a day), or exercise more (not more than 3 days a week for weights if doing an all body workout). As I said above, legs are often neglected for more "ornamental" muscles, yet they burn more fat because they are larger. Work out heavy (until failure) with your legs. Do extensions, curls, calf raises and squats. You'll get more calories burned per time exercised by pushing your legs to failure. Note, you will feel it if you are doing it right, sort of a wobbly nauseous feeling. ;)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
My legs get plenty of exercise lugging my 300lbs frame between the couch and the fridge on frequent beer runs :P.

--
H

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
There are electronic fat meters that cost less than $50 (stand and grip). They are a lot more accurate vs. calipers.

felix, are you eating at least 5 times a day? Spread your meals out over the day into 5-6 small portions. This keeps your metabolism elevated (and thus burning more calories). Building up some muscle greatly helps you burn additional calories (while at rest). 15 minutes of cardio is not ideal for burning fat. Fat burning does not start until _after_ that time. I'd suggest 30-45 minutes if fat loss is a goal. Note that this just means get your heart rate up for 45 consecutive minutes (via weight lifting, cardio machine exercise, sports, etc.).

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
My Doctor is always telling me I should think about exercising....I think about it all the time, but I can't seem to lose any weight! :D

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Besides a healthy diet & lots of exercise??

I know people who have lost weight on cocaine or meth. But thats an "extreme" diet aid. I'd tell your friend to join Curves® and start going every day instead of 3x/week. 3x/week is just surgeon generals minimum recommendation to prevent muscle/bone loss.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Realy? I used to go everyday 5 days a week. I'd do weights and cardo on monday/wed/friday and cardio only on the tuesday and thursday. I found I actully lost more weight when I cut out the Tuesday and Thursday. I think it has something to do with letting your muscles recoup, but I'm not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks